posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Florida Boat Trash? Cut the mustards fate?

City crushes boy's dream of restoring sailboat
By LATISHA R. GRAY

SARASOTA -- David Newton bought the old sailboat for $1,500 for his son
William about a year ago as a birthday present. The Newtons knew the
22-foot, 1971 Venture needed work, but planned on fixing it up in time
to adorn it with Christmas lights, dock it in the water and watch
tonight's boat parade on it.

Those plans hit a snag when David Newton was hospitalized twice for
complications with his diabetes, limiting the time he and William, 15,
had to work on the boat.

Then last week the Newtons found out they not only lost their chance to
watch today's parade from the boat, but lost the boat itself, which was
destroyed by police after they determined it to be a derelict vessel.

The boat was tagged with a bright orange sticker on Nov. 20 because it
had no engine, sail or means of working, a police report states. It was
destroyed on Nov. 29.

According to city code, the owner of any boat considered derelict has
five days to contact the police after it has been tagged and, if they
don't, the boat is crushed and the remains are taken to the city
landfill.

Police spokesman Jay Frank said officers tried to contact the family
about the boat, but never heard anything back.

"We go above and beyond the statute by sending a certified letter,"
Frank said. "We work with people who call and say they are going to fix
up the boat. We called them several times but we didn't get a
response."

David Newton said he and his son tried to contact the police at least
seven times, but they never got a call back. The last time they saw the
boat was on Nov. 24. David Newton said he didn't recall seeing an
orange tag on the boat.

"I enjoyed it," William Newton said Friday. "I'm upset it got taken. I
didn't understand it."

The Newtons said they got the certified letter the day after the boat
was destroyed. William said an officer called him on Tuesday, but it
was already too late.

"We were in the process of doing what they think we should have been
doing," David Newton said. "That boat didn't look that bad. By the time
we got the letter, they were tearing the boat up."

Frank said the department tagged 16 boats during the sweep of the
bayfront and crushed seven of them.

Officers look for derelict boats about two or three times a year, he
added.

"People complained about the boat before we even did anything about
it," Frank said. "There were a number of complaints from people living
out there."

David Newton said they did get one complaint last spring, but hadn't
heard anything since then.

They say the boat actually brought the neighborhood together because
people looked out for it.

"His grandfather, my dad, wanted to get a boat before he died," David
Newton said. "So, I thought it would be nice to get William a boat.
They have the same name. We put a lot of time into that boat, and it's
a shame it had to end this way."

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote
City crushes boy's dream of restoring sailboat
Then last week the Newtons found out they not only lost their chance to
watch today's parade from the boat, but lost the boat itself, which was
destroyed by police after they determined it to be a derelict vessel.

I'm telling you, this is a racket. I posted about it before and you'all didn't listen.
People said I was just whining. Now maybe you'll listen. The police go around tagging
perfectly good boats. Then they tow it away. They give you only a week to notify them.
I know this one guy who had his boat a Morgan 23 registered with valid and up
to date registration sticker on it. He has a house here in Sarasota and a house up in
the DC area. He works up there in the summer and down here in the winter.
They towed away his boat this summer and cut it up into pieces and hauled it
to the junk yard and then they sent him a bill for four thousand dollars. He can't
register another boat or even his cars here in Florida until he pays the cost.
He's suing them because by law a registered up to date boat can't legally be
called derelict. The police said it was because it didn't have an anchor light. It
didn't but the legal penalty for not having an anchor light is a fine. The police
said it was a hazard to navigation. It wasn't because it was in two feet of water
moored ten feet from the mangrove forest where nobody navigates. His lawyer
assures him the police WILL be buying him another boat of equal value and
waiving the charges they billed him for disposing of his boat.
This crap's gotta stop.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in:
This crap's gotta stop.

I agree, but it won't. Too much money on the water these
days for anything less than money boats, in their little
numbered paid for slots. Slocom showed up around here now
and they'd chop up his boat and haul him off to a booby
hatch.

Seahag

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ellen MacArthur wrote:
"Joe" wrote

[...]

So now we know the truth about the demise of Cut the Mustard...sorry for
your loss...but there are better boats oce you pay the 4K fine out of
your Social Security...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The only reason the good Capt's boat would be seized is for the public
benefit! The National Maritime Museum would have it declared a historical
landmark and place it in the public trust. It would be housed in a maritime
museum, surrounded by velvet ropes. There would be a viewing platform so
onlookers could see the historic cruiser in its full glory. The walls of the
museum would be covered with the good words of the fine Capt and a twelve
foot bronze likeness would bless the entryway. The restrooms would feature
cedar buckets to be emptied by the patrons themselves to remind them of the
great sacrifices the good Capt made to promote correct and essential sailing
everywhere.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gilligan" wrote in message

The only reason the good Capt's boat would be seized is for the public
benefit!

Sometimes, when you're right, you're right.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Gilly,

The only thing you didn't mention is the sign over the Main Doorway.
"PUBLIC TOILETS"

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/GOODNITE

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Thom Stewart" wrote
The only thing you didn't mention is the sign over the Main Doorway.
"PUBLIC TOILETS"

Move over David Letterman. Not. Tom, don't quit your day job..... ;-))))

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Gilly,

The only thing you didn't mention is the sign over the

Main Doorway.
"PUBLIC TOILETS"

Ha haa ha ha! Good one Thom!

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gilligan" wrote
The only reason the good Capt's boat would be seized is for the public benefit! The National Maritime Museum would
have it declared a historical landmark and place it in the public trust. It would be housed in a maritime museum,
surrounded by velvet ropes. There would be a viewing platform so onlookers could see the historic cruiser in its full
glory. The walls of the museum would be covered with the good words of the fine Capt and a twelve foot bronze likeness
would bless the entryway. The restrooms would feature cedar buckets to be emptied by the patrons themselves to remind
them of the great sacrifices the good Capt made to promote correct and essential sailing everywhere.

Mr. Gilligan,

Joe posted about all those Coast Guard boats that're splitting and cracking.
They ain't seaworthy. There's no way they can confiscate Captain Neal's boat.
He's out in the ocean sailing. Those little orange rubber duckie Coast Guard boats
can't go that far. His boat's very seaworthy. Max blue-water safe and unsinkable
or so he says. But, there's no reason to doubt him. You say he's sailing the Straits
of Florida. He can stay out there practically forever. He's got Cuba to the south
and the Bahamas and Virgin Islands to the east. Big Coast Guard boat's are
grounded. Who's gonna get near him?

Cheers,
Ellen