posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default 1890s yacht racing

Thanks for this tip!

I updated the Varuna page at http://www.jsjohnston.org/~varuna.html
If you can think of anything else to add, let me know!

We just added a few new images at
http://www.jsjohnston.org/browse3.html and
http://www.jsjohnston.org/browse4.html
Check out http://www.jsjohnston.org/~feiseen.htmlfor instance - What
was the Feiseen?

Thanks again!

thunder wrote:
On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 09:23:18 -0800, Joe wrote:

Varuna:

Eugene Higgins (1860-1948) was heir to his father Elias's New York City
carpet manufacturing fortune--an estimated fifty million dollars--and
according to the society pages, he was not only the wealthiest bachelor
in New York, but also the most handsome. (12) Higgins sold the family
business shortly after assuming control of it in 1889, which allowed him
to devote his attention to more leisurely pursuits. (13) He was a
devoted golfer, cross-country rider, fisherman, hunter, coach racer,
yachtsman, and fencer. In 1890 he won the American fencing championship,
and his yacht, Varuna, named for the Hindu god of the ocean, was
declared the most modern vessel of its kind. (14) A celebrated host,
Higgins planned "sumptuous pleasure campaigns" in advance of each season
for his elite circle of friends, and his town house at Fifth Avenue and
Thirty-fourth Street, and country estate in Morristown, New Jersey, were
regarded as "meccas of high society."

Also, "The Varuna was wrecked off the coast of Madeira on November 17,
1909, and although all but one of the crew was saved none of the contents
survived. "

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...n16068356/pg_2

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thanks!

I updated the website at http://www.jsjohnston.org/~montauk.html
Take a peek and see if there is anything else you might add.

I just put a few new ones up at the bottom of
http://www.jsjohnston.org/browse3.html and
http://www.jsjohnston.org/browse2.html - We're trying add more almost
every day. Take a peek and see if you can add anything to our
collective knowledge of these vessels!

Thanks again for all your help -

DSK wrote:
wrote:

Thank you all for your responses!

We really appreciate all the suggestions and tips!

Now come some harder questions:

There are other vessels on our site
http://www.jsjohnston.org that
are equally impressive but do not seem to have any America's Cup or
Herreshoff connections.

For example, take a look at these extremely impressive vessels:
* Montauk http://www.jsjohnston.org/~montauk.html

From:
http://www.by-the-sea.com/articles/poillon.html

1882
Montauk

Designer:
Phil Ellsworth

Built for: John E Brooks
Owner: S.R. Platt

Centerboard Schooner Yacht 103 ft 92 Tons
94 ft waterline
Had a long racing career
She was launched at Gowanus Yard, Sails by Sawyer (AYL 1883)"

** end quote **

I was thinking this vessel was involved in a disastrous
capsize while at anchor, but after more thought, it seems
like that was the more extreme centerboarder "Mohawk."

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
Thanks for this tip!

Check out
http://www.jsjohnston.org/~feiseen.htmlfor instance - What
was the Feiseen?

She a fast Yacht

Joe

318 HARPERS NEW MONTHLY MAGAZINE.

41.
The bombardment of Rio Janeiro by a rebel fleet
was begun on September 13th, and resumed on the
18th. Hostilities continued through October. On
the 25th Rear-Admiral Stanton, of the United States
Navy, was deposed from the command of the South
Atlantic Squadron for saluting the flag of the rebels.
The Brazilian government, late in October, purchased
at New York the steamers El Rio and El Girl for
use as cruisers, and the fast yacht Feiseen for use
as a torpedo-boat, and proceeded to man and equip
them for service.
Thirty radical leaders in the Argentine Repnblic
were arrested September 2 1st, for conspiring to
overthrow the government.
The Spanish garrison at Melilla, in Morocco, was
attacked, October 3d, by 6000 Moors, and a battle
ensued. Skirmishing continued during the month.
The Matabeles, under King Lo Bengula, marched
on Fort Victoria in South Africa early in October.
The dispute originated in the cutting of telegraph
wires belonging to the British South African Com-
pany and the theft of Lo Bengulas cattle. A strong
British force was sent out to meet the blacks, and
in .a three weeks campaign Lo Bengula was routed,
his capital was captured, and his men driven out of
Matabeleland into the wilderness.
On October 13th a fleet of Russian war-ships ar-
rived in Toulon, where they were received with cx-
travagant demonstrations of joy. Later the officers
of the fleet were entertained in Pails by the most
brilliant fete of recent times.
The third race of the series for the Amen ccs Cup
was won October 13th by the T7igilent, defeating
the British yacht Valkyrie, keeping the interna-
tional trophy in the United States for another
year.
Masked robbers, on September 12th, held up the
Atlantic express train on the Lake Shore road in
Indiana, and obtained $20,000. On September 15th
$75,000 was taken by robbers from a train on the
Mineral Range Railroad in Michigan.

Thanks again!

thunder wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Joe wrote:
wrote:
Thanks for this tip!

Check out
http://www.jsjohnston.org/~feiseen.htmlfor instance - What
was the Feiseen?

She a fast Yacht

PS

Wood / Steam Powered Express CruiserYear Built: 1893LOA 78'9" x
Beam 9'8" x Draft: 3'1"Designer: William Gardner/Charles
MosherOwner: William B. Cogswell (Syracuse, N.Y.)Feiseen was
commissioned by William Cogswell to beat the express yachts Norwoodand
Vamoose and set a new world speed record. William Gardner and Charles
Mosher were chosen to design the yacht and engine, respectively.The
yacht was built in a shroud of secrecy and called Still Alarm before
launching.Completely planked in mahogany, the yacht displaced 13 tons
and was powered by a600-hp quadruple expansion steam engine.Although
this was an early effort in yachtbuilding by B. F.Wood, he clearly had
complete confidence in his work, indicated byhis quote in a newspaper
article published during the yacht's building: "I am will-ing to
rest my reputation as a shipbuilder on her. Just see, she is built of
mahoganythroughout, but with 30,000 wooden rivets in her frame I think
that she is any dayas strong for seafaring purposes as if she were made
entirely of steel.... She will bepolished like a piano and will not
only be the swiftest but the most beautiful andsymmetrical craft
afloat."Feiseen was all thatWood promised she would be.OnAugust
25,1893,she set a new world speed record at 31.6 mph.Within a few
months, and after serving her purpose,the yacht was sold and rebuilt by
Wood for the Brazilian Navy-extending the hull by 12' and adding an
armored deckhouse and deck-mounted guns.

thunder wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
Thanks for this tip!

I updated the Varuna page at
http://www.jsjohnston.org/~varuna.html
If you can think of anything else to add, let me know!

We just added a few new images at
http://www.jsjohnston.org/browse3.html

Well well you have a picture of Americas last Slave ship the Wanderer:

Just were did you get these photos?
Do you have the originals?
Wanna sell them?

Joe

Better Together
The slave trade became illegal in the U.S. in 1808, but for half a
century after that, a black market in chattel slavery thrived. In his
first book, former Newsweek correspondent Calonius tells the
fascinating, heartbreaking story of the last slave ship to dock on
these shores, in 1858, the Wanderer. Originally built as a sugar
baron's racing yacht, it was outfitted, as the New York Times reported,
for "comfort and luxury." But a trio of greedy proslavery radicals,
known as "fire-eaters," transformed her from plaything to slaver: deck
planks and inner framing were removed and iron tanks inserted. Then the
ship headed to Africa, and eventually returned to Georgia's Jekyll
Island with its human cargo. (En route, 80 Africans died.) Calonius
charts the subsequent media outcry and trials, and follows the
Wanderer's history through the Civil War, when, in a delectably just
turn of events, the U.S. government seized the ship and turned it into
a Union gunboat. This is fast-paced narrative history, and Calonius has
a terrific eye for atmospheric details. Still, one wishes he had
provided more analysis of the larger themes in Southern, American and
Atlantic history that this tragic episode illumines. (Sept.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier
Inc. All rights reserved.

thunder wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

If you are interested, the following link is to an 1899 Thomas Edison
movie clip showing Columbia winning finish for the Americas Cup.
http://www.open-video.org/details.php?videoid=4590

oups.com...

thunder wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
Well well you have a picture of Americas last Slave ship the Wanderer:

Fascinating!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 2:26:14 PM
From: "Erik Calonius"
Subject: late 1880s or 1890s photo of Wanderer

The Wanderer went down off the coast of Cuba in 1871. So I don't think that

is the same (many boats were named the Wanderer).

However, I'd suggest that you get in touch with Tony Pizzo or Karl de Vries,

of the Ships of the Seas Museum in Savannah. They have a model of the
slaver
Wanderer, and could compare it to your photo. Their email is

Good luck--and I hope you will enjoy the book I wrote! Best, Erik

Nice thought, though! I'd never heard that story!

Thanks again -

Chris

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
Joe wrote:

Nice thought, though! I'd never heard that story!

Thanks again -

Chris

I know there are many Wanderer's, at first I thought it was Sterling
Haydens boat.
http://www.sea-room.com/B00492.jpg could be but the bow pulpit in
Sterling's boat looks shorter. Maybe he bashed it off a bit...who
knows?

With your pictures focusing on the NY area and the Slaver Wanderer
being a former yacht from NYC I figured that was the same one.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thanks, Joe!

We just posted five new photos (it's slow going but we slog on)
including:

Harpoon http://www.jsjohnston.org/~harpoon.html
Ariel http://www.jsjohnston.org/~ariel.html
Queen Mab http://www.jsjohnston.org/~queen_mab.html