posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Bart, anti-freeze and drinking water - smart to disassociate?

How many here have a hot water heater that works with the engine's coolant system as a heat source?

It is a very thin line separating that toxic material from your drinking water supply. The closed engine coolant loop may reach 15 psi when hot, and could easily outmatch the force in the fresh water system, especially if you run dry or turn off your on-demand pump for any reason. A pin hole or a crack in the hw heat exchanger could have deadly results.

In my work as a boiler tech, we were never permitted to use toxic anti-freeze in boilers that produced domestic hot water (summer-winter boiler packages). I've replaced tens of those coils due to leakage!

Just a thought, but Bart's recent comment about galvanic isolation got me thinking.

Maybe I'll get that RedDot heater that Ole Thom has mentioned, remove the anti-freeze loop from my fresh water supply, and use those lines to supply aux heat in the cabin.

Scout
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..

How many here have a hot water heater that works with the engine's coolant
system as a heat source?

Ours is such a water heater, but when we bought the boat there was a small
but insideous coolant leak which could cause engine overheating if pushed a
bit. The leak was discovered to be at the engine-to-water heater hookup
fitting, so we disconnected the water heater loop entirely. Never miss it,
and your point about toxic material flowing through one's water heater is
valid, even though we never gave it a thought. Good post.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Uninstalling and analyzing this heater is a good thing. Further
inspection may just exonerate the design. If you look closely at the
bottom tubes in this picture,
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/291...97509592UoBucA
you'll notice that they enter the tank through two very loose sleeves.
Check out the ample clearance between the coil ends and the sleeves
they pass through. I need to find a way to determine if what appears to
be an exageration of sloppy pipe fitting is in fact a clever design
intended to drain any chemicals away from contact with fresh water
should the tubing leak for any reason. It is possible that the design
is a tube inside a tube, with the outter tube being an non-pressure
path out of the unit. If that's the case, I can see why the hot water
heat is so slow to come up to temperature, but the added safety feature
would be worth the wait.
As an experiment, I'm thinking of suspending the tank with the tank
face parallel to the floor, so that any drop of water in the tank will
drip from the boiler drain. Then, I would feed a stream of water into
the sleeve and see if it eventually begins to flow from the other side.
If it does, and if it never flows from the boiler drain, then I can
conclude that there exists an isolating compartment, which is vented to
atmosphere, between the anti-freeze filled tubing the fresh water tank.

If I find that to be true, I'll connect to the engine again without
losing sleep.
Scout

Scout wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

What fun is that?
Scout

"Scotty" wrote in message
news
Can you ask Seaward?

"Scout" wrote in message
oups.com..
.

Scout wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I'm not as thunk as some people drink I am.

"Scout" wrote in message . ..
[...]

------=_NextPart_000_0073_01C6F809.74F4EB40

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
META content="MSHTML 6.00.5730.11" name=GENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=#ffffff
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2Ole Thom's been drinking anti-freeze for years.
Hasn't affected him one bit./FONT/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"
DIV"Scout" <A
"scoutsails@ho tmail.com/A> wrote in
message A
href="news:GoqdnSNR0sPBtKLYnZ2dnUVZ_rWdnZ2d@comcas t.com"news:GoqdnSNR0sPBtKLYnZ2dnUVZ_rWdnZ2d@comca st.com/A.../DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2How many here have a hot water heater that works
with the engine's coolant system as a heat source?/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2It is a very thin line separating that toxic
material from your drinking water supply. The closed engine coolant loop may
reach 15 psi when hot, and could easily outmatch the force in the fresh water
system, especially if you run dry or turn off your on-demand pump for any
reason. A pin hole or a crack in the hw heat exchanger could have deadly
results. /FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2In my work as a boiler tech, we were never
permitted to use toxic anti-freeze in boilers that produced domestic hot water
(summer-winter boiler packages). I've replaced tens of those coils due to
leakage!/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2Just a thought, but Bart's recent comment about
galvanic isolation got me thinking. /FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2Maybe I'll get that RedDot heater that Ole Thom
has mentioned, remove the anti-freeze loop from my fresh water supply,
and use those lines to supply aux heat in the cabin. /FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2Scout/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV/BLOCKQUOTE/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_0073_01C6F809.74F4EB40--

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gilligan" wrote in message

Ole Thom's been drinking anti-freeze for years. Hasn't affected him one
bit.

Once you've built up a tolerance to the stuff, it's fine. I've moved on to
Canadian whisky--now that stuff is seriously toxic.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
How many here have a hot water heater that works with the
engine's coolant system as a heat source?

I do, but I don't drink the hot water. Would washing dishes
and showering with it be a problem? If there were a leak,
wouldn't you soon discover it when your engine water gets
low?

SBV