posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Another almost totaly frameless Orgami Steel And Aluminum boats

We have a oragmi designed boat here in the shipyard. The boat is almost
frame less.

http://www.origamimagic.com/

Interesting design concept. All you need is paper and scissors.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote
| We have a oragmi designed boat here in the shipyard. The boat is almost
| frame less.
| http://www.origamimagic.com/
| Interesting design concept. All you need is paper and scissors.

Kewl but it's not origami. I never saw origami with curved lines. You can't fold curves.
They need to call it something else.

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
We have a oragmi designed boat here in the shipyard. The boat is almost
frame less.

http://www.origamimagic.com/

Interesting design concept. All you need is paper and scissors.

There's an origami steel boatbuilding Yahoo group that I'm a member of.
The technique definitely works but there's a limit on the types of
shapes you can produce. Basically, compound curves are out.

Quick scan of the posts here and situation normal - 90% crap.

Ah well, back to building until Jan, then back to sea.

PDW

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Peter wrote:
Joe wrote:
We have a oragmi designed boat here in the shipyard. The boat is almost
frame less.

http://www.origamimagic.com/

Interesting design concept. All you need is paper and scissors.

There's an origami steel boatbuilding Yahoo group that I'm a member of.
The technique definitely works but there's a limit on the types of
shapes you can produce. Basically, compound curves are out.

Quick scan of the posts here and situation normal - 90% crap.

Ah well, back to building until Jan, then back to sea.

what'cha building Peter?

Joe
PDW

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
Peter wrote:
Joe wrote:
We have a oragmi designed boat here in the shipyard. The boat is almost
frame less.

http://www.origamimagic.com/

Interesting design concept. All you need is paper and scissors.

There's an origami steel boatbuilding Yahoo group that I'm a member of.
The technique definitely works but there's a limit on the types of
shapes you can produce. Basically, compound curves are out.

Quick scan of the posts here and situation normal - 90% crap.

Ah well, back to building until Jan, then back to sea.

what'cha building Peter?

16 x 13 x 4.2 metre barn/workshop. Framing is almost finished, roofing
starts this coming w/end if the weather holds. So far except for the
concrete slabs (36 cubic metres of concrete), I've done every bit of it
myself including lifting up the wall panels - all hardwood. Got some
friends lined up to help put the roof trusses on, then we'll have a big
Beer-B-Q.

This is the LAST big structure I'm building. After 3 houses and too
many sheds etc I've built over the years, I've had it with high
structures. Takes 3X as long to build 4.2m high walls as 2.4m ones and
you need a lot more rigging gear to erect/stabilise them. Gonna install
the 2 container loads of machine tools I have stashed at work then
settle back and play boats. Given the price my last port holes cost I'm
planning on setting up an electric furnace too, do my own castings in
aluminium, brass & bronze.

PDW

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Post some pictures Peter. Sounds cool.

BTW Joe, I really like the origami method. Looks like
a method I read about being used in Finland.

Peter wrote:
Joe wrote:
Peter wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:54:17 -0700, Bart wrote:

BTW Joe, I really like the origami method. Looks like
a method I read about being used in Finland.

If you are interested, there is a newsgroup devoted to the origami method.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Peter" wrote in message
ups.com...

Quick scan of the posts here and situation normal -

90% crap.

Ah well, back to building until Jan, then back to sea.

what'cha building Peter?

16 x 13 x 4.2 metre barn/workshop. Framing is almost

finished, roofing
starts this coming w/end if the weather holds. So far

except for the
concrete slabs (36 cubic metres of concrete), I've done

every bit of it
myself including lifting up the wall panels - all

hardwood. Got some
friends lined up to help put the roof trusses on, then

we'll have a big
Beer-B-Q.

Hi Pete, ya big wuss. When I built my barn, 50' X 30' X 16',
I did everything myself, including the trusses and the roof.
Course, I was a lot younger back then.

I'm going sailing this week. it's gonna be cold, in the 40s.
Brrrr!

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message
ups.com...

Quick scan of the posts here and situation normal -

90% crap.

Ah well, back to building until Jan, then back to sea.

what'cha building Peter?

16 x 13 x 4.2 metre barn/workshop. Framing is almost

finished, roofing
starts this coming w/end if the weather holds. So far

except for the
concrete slabs (36 cubic metres of concrete), I've done

every bit of it
myself including lifting up the wall panels - all

hardwood. Got some
friends lined up to help put the roof trusses on, then

we'll have a big
Beer-B-Q.

Hi Pete, ya big wuss. When I built my barn, 50' X 30' X 16',

Lessee, that's 15m x 10m x 4.8m. Or about 3/4 the size of mine......

I did everything myself, including the trusses and the roof.
Course, I was a lot younger back then.

Probably had 2 fully functional arms, too. When I was a lot younger I
built a 5400 sq ft 3 storey house - that cured me of building
multi-storey houses. My current place is ground level.

Actually putting the roofing on is pretty easy but it's not worth the
effort building the trusses as that means getting an engineer to
certify them - local Govt inspectors are a picky bunch these days.
Easier to ring up the local truss plant and have them delivered, with
certification. More expensive, but a lot less hassle. I can't build a
rafter roof without a lot of scaffolding etc so not worth the hassle
either even though I have enough 6 x 2 hardwood to do it (sawed up all
the trees I felled on the site). Was going to weld up lightweight steel
trusses but the price of steel combined with the need for engineering
design certs made it marginal. Lot stronger, but so what - I'll have a
high rolling gantry crane setup anyway.

I'm going sailing this week. it's gonna be cold, in the 40s.
Brrrr!

Wuss :-) I've just got back from working where the water temp was 1.5C
and the air temp about the same.

Have fun. I'm gonna splash the daysailer as soon as I've got the roof
on the barn. Cladding the walls etc can wait a bit, I can still move a
lot of my machinery in regardless. Not a real big worry about people
walking off with a 1 tonne radial arm drill, for example.

PDW