posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Radar necessary, recommended?

I'm considering installing a short-range radar on my 26M, and I would
appreciate recommendations or comments. For example, when traveling
down the Houston-Galveston ship channel, it would be helpful to be able
to see traffic going up and down the channel in the event of fog or rain
that obstructed visibility. Also, it would be helpful to be able to see
oil platforms, traffic, etc., offshore in poor weather conditions or at
night. Joe, is this a concern for you when you go down the channel?

Do most sailors consider this a necessity for offshore sailing, and if
so, what types do you recommend? Did you mount the radome on top of
mast, or on an aft-mounted radar mast?

Jim
posted to alt.sailing.asa

If your radar is in working order, you're required to monitor it. I think
it's a bit over-kill for that size of a boat. The mount wouldn't be at the
top, but at the spreaders. I would also be concerned about the weight of the
dome, given the light rig you have. I don't like the idea of a dome sitting
10 feet from my head either.

It isn't necessary for offshore by any means. It's a big battery drain also.
I think you'd be better served by good charts, a good gps, good
watch-keeping, and cautious behavior.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"JimC" wrote in message
news

I'm considering installing a short-range radar on my 26M, and I would
appreciate recommendations or comments. For example, when traveling down
the Houston-Galveston ship channel, it would be helpful to be able to see
traffic going up and down the channel in the event of fog or rain that
obstructed visibility. Also, it would be helpful to be able to see oil
platforms, traffic, etc., offshore in poor weather conditions or at night.
Joe, is this a concern for you when you go down the channel?

Do most sailors consider this a necessity for offshore sailing, and if so,
what types do you recommend? Did you mount the radome on top of mast, or
on an aft-mounted radar mast?

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
If your radar is in working order, you're required to monitor it.

This is not really true. On most small boats the display is removed
and only mounted when needed. I don't believe you're required to set
it up all the time, and if its not mounted it is not "fitted and
operational." On the other hand, if you had it and the humidity was
high enough to make fog a possibility, it would be rather reckless to
not set it up.

This falls under the category of "if you didn't use it to avoid a
collision, you'd have some explaining to do."

I think
it's a bit over-kill for that size of a boat. The mount wouldn't be at the
top, but at the spreaders. I would also be concerned about the weight of the
dome, given the light rig you have. I don't like the idea of a dome sitting
10 feet from my head either.

I'd think twice about mounting it, but Jim leaves the mast up all
season, I think. As for the distance, if it isn't used much it isn't
a problem. There's certainly a lot of powerboats that have them
mounted a few feet over the helm.

It isn't necessary for offshore by any means. It's a big battery drain also.
I think you'd be better served by good charts, a good gps, good
watch-keeping, and cautious behavior.

I'd agree, but I doubt the battery drain issue is that big.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

In article ,
Jeff wrote:
Capt. JG wrote:
If your radar is in working order, you're required to monitor it.

This is not really true. On most small boats the display is removed
and only mounted when needed. I don't believe you're required to set
it up all the time, and if its not mounted it is not "fitted and
operational." On the other hand, if you had it and the humidity was
high enough to make fog a possibility, it would be rather reckless to
not set it up.

Well, if it's not set up, then it's not in working order; therefore,
you don't have to (or can) monitor it. Did I miss something?

I'd think twice about mounting it, but Jim leaves the mast up all
season, I think. As for the distance, if it isn't used much it isn't
a problem. There's certainly a lot of powerboats that have them
mounted a few feet over the helm.

My point, of course... :-)

It isn't necessary for offshore by any means. It's a big battery drain also.
I think you'd be better served by good charts, a good gps, good
watch-keeping, and cautious behavior.

I'd agree, but I doubt the battery drain issue is that big.

For a Mac26? Well, maybe not. :-)
--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jonathan Ganz wrote:
In article ,
Jeff wrote:
Capt. JG wrote:
If your radar is in working order, you're required to monitor it.

This is not really true. On most small boats the display is removed
and only mounted when needed. I don't believe you're required to set
it up all the time, and if its not mounted it is not "fitted and
operational." On the other hand, if you had it and the humidity was
high enough to make fog a possibility, it would be rather reckless to
not set it up.

Well, if it's not set up, then it's not in working order; therefore,
you don't have to (or can) monitor it. Did I miss something?

The point is that some people interpret the ColRegs as meaning you
have to run the radar all the time - this is not true on a small boat.
Also, there is no expectation that the formal plotting is done by
someone singlehanding.

I'd think twice about mounting it, but Jim leaves the mast up all
season, I think. As for the distance, if it isn't used much it isn't
a problem. There's certainly a lot of powerboats that have them
mounted a few feet over the helm.

My point, of course... :-)

Yes, I knew that would draw a comment!

It isn't necessary for offshore by any means. It's a big battery drain also.
I think you'd be better served by good charts, a good gps, good
watch-keeping, and cautious behavior.

I'd agree, but I doubt the battery drain issue is that big.

For a Mac26? Well, maybe not. :-)

My screen is 10 Watts, the dome on standby is 9 Watts, 28 on transmit.
So its about 3 Amps if run full time. Even a minimal battery should
be able to keep it going for 10 hours, and even the small alternator
on the engine is more than enough to cover it.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

In article ,
Jeff wrote:
The point is that some people interpret the ColRegs as meaning you
have to run the radar all the time - this is not true on a small boat.
Also, there is no expectation that the formal plotting is done by
someone singlehanding.

Ah... I figured that's what you figured... yo'ure right of course.

I'd think twice about mounting it, but Jim leaves the mast up all
season, I think. As for the distance, if it isn't used much it isn't
a problem. There's certainly a lot of powerboats that have them
mounted a few feet over the helm.

My point, of course... :-)

Yes, I knew that would draw a comment!

:-)

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

JimC wrote:
I'm considering installing a short-range radar on my 26M, and I would
appreciate recommendations or comments.

Great toy.

... For example, when traveling
down the Houston-Galveston ship channel, it would be helpful to be able
to see traffic going up and down the channel in the event of fog or rain
that obstructed visibility.

You are dumb to be out in the channel under such
circumstances, when your boat can easily transit much
shallower water and be safe from any large commercial
vessel. You should also monitor Ch 9.

... Also, it would be helpful to be able to see
oil platforms, traffic, etc., offshore in poor weather conditions

You're a fool to be out in the Gulf in a Mac 26X in poor
weather conditions. I thought the point of it being a "fast
motorboat" is that you can run for home when the weather
gets bad?

.... or at night.

Oil platforms are lit up like a football stadium at night.

Do most sailors consider this a necessity for offshore sailing

A necessity, no. A useful tool for some types of cruising, yes.

.... Did you mount the radome on top of
mast

On a trailerable boat, mounting extra stuff on the mast is
not desirable.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

DSK wrote:
JimC wrote:
I'm considering installing a short-range radar on my 26M, and I would
appreciate recommendations or comments.

Great toy.

... For example, when traveling
down the Houston-Galveston ship channel, it would be helpful to be able
to see traffic going up and down the channel in the event of fog or rain
that obstructed visibility.

You are dumb to be out in the channel under such
circumstances, when your boat can easily transit much
shallower water and be safe from any large commercial
vessel. You should also monitor Ch 9.

Wrong, Doug there are areas here you need to be in the channel or you
are on oyseter reefs ect, many times here you get socked in fast and
need to keep going and having channel markers on radar is the safest
way.

... Also, it would be helpful to be able to see
oil platforms, traffic, etc., offshore in poor weather conditions

You're a fool to be out in the Gulf in a Mac 26X in poor
weather conditions. I thought the point of it being a "fast
motorboat" is that you can run for home when the weather
gets bad?

.... or at night.

Oil platforms are lit up like a football stadium at night.

Wrong again, many, many production platforms, well heads, ect are not
properly lit. I would say 100's are not lit, sure they are suppose to
be, but I assure you they are not all lit. Lights burn out, batteries
go dead, solar cells do not charge batteries if they are under clouds
for a week and the light blink day and night. Best thing after rader is
to develope excellent night vision.

Do most sailors consider this a necessity for offshore sailing

A necessity, no. A useful tool for some types of cruising, yes.

.... Did you mount the radome on top of
mast

On a trailerable boat, mounting extra stuff on the mast is
not desirable.

With the small size and lightweight domes I do not think it would be
that much of an issue.

Joe

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

JimC wrote:

I'm considering installing a short-range radar on my 26M, and I would
appreciate recommendations or comments. For example, when traveling
down the Houston-Galveston ship channel, it would be helpful to be able
to see traffic going up and down the channel in the event of fog or rain
that obstructed visibility. Also, it would be helpful to be able to see
oil platforms, traffic, etc., offshore in poor weather conditions or at
night. Joe, is this a concern for you when you go down the channel?

Do most sailors consider this a necessity for offshore sailing, and if
so, what types do you recommend? Did you mount the radome on top of
mast, or on an aft-mounted radar mast?

Jim

I consider it a necessity in the Northeast. Roughly once a year (more
if I do Maine) I find myself in thick fog that would be dangerous
without Radar.

As for "offshore" I don't think of it as a necessity but its certainly
a convenience, being about to scan an know there's nothing within 20
minutes. But mainly the issue is crossing the harbor or ferry lanes
when its socked in.

There's all sorts of ways to blow a lot of money, but the low end
Raymarine or Furuno would be just fine.

Also, don't forget a good radar reflector.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

JimC wrote:
I'm considering installing a short-range radar on my 26M, and I would
appreciate recommendations or comments. For example, when traveling
down the Houston-Galveston ship channel, it would be helpful to be able
to see traffic going up and down the channel in the event of fog or rain
that obstructed visibility. Also, it would be helpful to be able to see
oil platforms, traffic, etc., offshore in poor weather conditions or at
night. Joe, is this a concern for you when you go down the channel?

Sure it's a concern, but you do not need a radar to know where traffic
is. You can check in with Houston Traffic and ask whats coming in and
out, Infact you do not even need to ask, just tell them who you are,
what your on, and where you are(entering at the Kemah channel bouy 62
whatever) and tell them where you are going. They will tell you of
anytraffic you are going to meet. You can check in at any point of the
channel and ask for updates, Texas city channel, ICW junction, Bolivar,
morgans point, any bouy or channel marker ect. Very few weekends
warrior even know about checing in and out with traffic, it required on
commerical vessels. Thats said radars are cheap enough and fun to use
and learn.

Do most sailors consider this a necessity for offshore sailing, and if
so, what types do you recommend? Did you mount the radome on top of
mast, or on an aft-mounted radar mast?

Nah, but its nice to have, I like them more for weather forcasting that
tracking other traffic.
Keep in mind your power use for a radar.

You could mount the dome on the front of your mast.
Joe

Jim