posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default Sailing towards disaster?

Martin Baxter wrote:
Best leave them at home when you come up here, our Strom Troopers don't
like people to have firearms.

Oh c'mon, it's not like a 10mm auto pistol is a *real* gun.

If we can't keep them one the Trent-Severn waterway, or the
North Channel (I understand there is not much of a problem
with pirates there, anyway), can we trade the pistols at the
border for some seal clubs?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Capt. Rob wrote:
I don't need it for the
stormtroopers because my wife & I both have pistols.

I live in NY and I would never be so gay as to own a pistol. I don't
need one, want one nor do I want the risk that someone else could
somehow get a hold of it someday.
Suzanne grew up with guns and was shooting her own rifle while I was
reading pulp-sci fi, but she's a grown up now and wouldn't think of
owning a gun.

over 100,000 women fended off robbers and rapist with guns last year.
Some people actually shoot rifles for sport.

I wonder why Doug and his Wife, powerboaters through and through, own
guns. Oh, and not just guns; pistols, weapons designed to kill other
human beings.

Maybe to be on a level playing field with a thief or murderer, rapist
if needed.

So they don't get in a gun fight with a knife?

But your right, why carry a pistol when you can own a AR-15 shorty
carbine with a 30 round clip?

http://www.dallasguns.com/media/150_1.jpg way better than a pistol
and just about as easy to manuver in tight areas.

Joe

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:

Capt. Rob wrote:
I don't need it for the
stormtroopers because my wife & I both have pistols.

I live in NY and I would never be so gay as to own a pistol. I don't
need one, want one nor do I want the risk that someone else could
somehow get a hold of it someday.
Suzanne grew up with guns and was shooting her own rifle while I was
reading pulp-sci fi, but she's a grown up now and wouldn't think of
owning a gun.

over 100,000 women fended off robbers and rapist with guns last year.
Some people actually shoot rifles for sport.

Can you a cite a source for this number?

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default Sailing towards disaster? ...guns guns guns

"Capt" Rob wrote:
I wonder why Doug and his Wife, powerboaters through and through, own
guns.

I wonder why Bobsprit feels the need to insult other people
because they have something he doesn't.

As for why I have guns, because I am a small-town Southern
boy and grew up huntin' and shooting for sport. Guns were an
everyday fact of life & part of our household. I am familiar
with guns, comfortable with guns, at one time in my life
spent considerable time & effort developing a high degree of
skill with guns. It's fun and it can come in very handy
(unfortunately... I wish the world were not a place where
guns are often necessary, but wishing doesn't take the place
of reality).

.... Oh, and not just guns; pistols, weapons designed to kill other
human beings.

Why do cops carry pistols in New York City?

Joe wrote:
Maybe to be on a level playing field with a thief or murderer, rapist
if needed.

So they don't get in a gun fight with a knife?

Any gun is a tool. It is merely a differential pressure
engine. Used properly, it does not kill but rather protects
& enforces the law. Just like any other tool. Hammers &
chainsaws can kill people too.

But your right, why carry a pistol when you can own a AR-15 shorty
carbine with a 30 round clip?

http://www.dallasguns.com/media/150_1.jpg way better than a pistol
and just about as easy to manuver in tight areas.

Yeah but it's difficult to wear discreetly under a sports
jacket.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

over 100,000 women fended off robbers and rapist with guns last year.

Can you a cite a source for this number?

Charlie Morgan wrote:
That number came from he

http://www.mazes.com/numberingsystems.html#american

CWM

** * ** * ** * ** *

Donald Rumsfeld is briefing George Bush in the Oval Office:

"Oh, and finally, sir, three Brazilian soldiers were killed
in Iraq
today."

Bush goes pale, his jaw hanging open in stunned disbelief.
He buries his face in his hands, muttering "My God…My God…
those poor men and all their families."

"Mr. President," says Cheney, "we lose soldiers all the
time, and it's terrible. But I've never seen you so upset.
What's the matter?"

Bush looks up, wiping away tears, and says, "How many zeroes
in a 'Brazilian' again?"

posted to alt.sailing.asa

We only have one handgun. I wanted a Dan Wesson, but decided against it. Oh,
and we have one of those stunguns also. I am *not* going to try it on
myself. :-)

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Capt. JG wrote:
.... Don't want to sell it, since I'll need
something to defend myself with when the storm troopers show up.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

I have a Winchester 30-30 I should sell, since I'm certainly not taking it
on the boat. I don't need it for the stormtroopers because my wife & I
both have pistols.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

DSK wrote:
over 100,000 women fended off robbers and rapist with guns last year.

Can you a cite a source for this number?

C. Kelly's book "Blown Away" a study of American women and guns. BTW 17
million ( and growing) women in the USA carry guns.

Joe

Charlie Morgan wrote:
That number came from he

http://www.mazes.com/numberingsystems.html#american

CWM

** * ** * ** * ** *

Donald Rumsfeld is briefing George Bush in the Oval Office:

"Oh, and finally, sir, three Brazilian soldiers were killed
in Iraq
today."

Bush goes pale, his jaw hanging open in stunned disbelief.
He buries his face in his hands, muttering "My God...My God...
those poor men and all their families."

"Mr. President," says Cheney, "we lose soldiers all the
time, and it's terrible. But I've never seen you so upset.
What's the matter?"

Bush looks up, wiping away tears, and says, "How many zeroes
in a 'Brazilian' again?"

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Joe wrote:
Maybe to be on a level playing field with a thief or murderer, rapist
if needed.

So they don't get in a gun fight with a knife?

Any gun is a tool. It is merely a differential pressure
engine. Used properly, it does not kill but rather protects
& enforces the law. Just like any other tool. Hammers &
chainsaws can kill people too.

But your right, why carry a pistol when you can own a AR-15 shorty
carbine with a 30 round clip?

http://www.dallasguns.com/media/150_1.jpg way better than a pistol
and just about as easy to manuver in tight areas.

Yeah but it's difficult to wear discreetly under a sports
jacket.

All you need is a trench coat. A 10 mm Glock is pretty bulky too.
If you need to conceal.. then a Walter PPK or Colt hammerless pocket
pony are good choices.

Joe

Joe

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

http://www.dallasguns.com/media/150_1.jpg way better than a pistol
and just about as easy to manuver in tight areas.

Yeah but it's difficult to wear discreetly under a sports
jacket.

Joe wrote:
All you need is a trench coat.

I'm not necessarily talking concealment, just discretion &
style. And one can wear a moderate sized pistol on a belt
and still carry out work requiring both hands & some
exertion (climbing around on & under machinery for example).

And in the course of everyday life taken a turn for the
worse, what possible scenario requires a 30 round clip? If
you can't solve the problem with eight bullets (or more
realistically, just two in the right place) then you
obviously ****ed up really *really* bad. An assault rifle is
for assault, not personal protection.

.... A 10 mm Glock is pretty bulky too.

Yep.
Plus I have never been comfortable with the idea of plastic
guns. Perhaps I should look into carbon fiber ones

If you need to conceal.. then a Walter PPK or Colt hammerless pocket
pony are good choices.

My personal fave is the Colt Mustang .380 which is a baby
M1911 even to the way it breaks down. Accurate, safe,
reliable... not hammerless though.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:

DSK wrote:
over 100,000 women fended off robbers and rapist with guns last year.

Can you a cite a source for this number?

C. Kelly's book "Blown Away" a study of American women and guns. BTW 17
million ( and growing) women in the USA carry guns.

Boy Dave and Max would have a field day with her, a Canadian, work
published in both the New York Times and the Washington post!

The book was published in 2004, so the figure you cite is not for "last
year". Kellys number for gun ownership is between 11 and 17 million, I
see you have chosen the higher.

Not having read the book I'd still like to know were the number came
from, (100,000 women fended of robbers...).

Cheers
Marty

Learning to sail the USA way. ARG ASA 82 March 23rd 06 01:10 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 September 24th 04 05:22 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 February 28th 04 09:08 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 February 14th 04 08:56 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 January 30th 04 09:36 AM