posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Boat Bags

katy wrote:
Jeff wrote:

But before you get "holier than though," when last I traveled through
the south, it was virtually impossible to get a pumpout anywhere, even
at places that advertised a free pumpout with a fillup.

That's strange becasue alal three of the big marinas in New Bern have
working pump-outs and with a low tidal sluggish waterway, the idea that
someone would be actively pumping straight to a river system that is
already overflowing with pllutants irks me no end. And yes, I have
noticed that some of the liveaboards never pump out..ut's disgusting...

We didn't make it up to New Bern. I suspect that a tenant of a marina
has a much easier time of getting a pumpout than a transient. And an
obvious traveler who is only stopping for fuel has less of a chance.
Its easy to believe that a kid would rather say "Its broken" or "The
guy who does that isn't here now" than deal with the pumpout. Or
maybe they think "They brought it here, they can take it elsewhere."
The jokes on them of course, because the frustrated boater probably
hits the "eject" button the instant the kid turns his back.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

katy wrote:
Jeff wrote:
DSK wrote:
Scout wrote:

Anyone practicing safe sacks?

I saw those a couple of years ago up on the Chesapeake, haven't seen
any for a while though. It was supposed to be a cheap alternative to
dry sailing.

Joe wrote:
Hell no. Clorine is corrosive first...

Not on fiberglass, it isn't.

.... Second cant get water for the
AC's and head.

The AC would be an easy fix, as for the head.... WHY ARE YOU FLUSHING
YOUR HEAD OVERBOARD IN A MARINA, YOU DIRTBAG?

DSK

Although overboard dumping is illegal everywhere that there are marinas
in the US, but in practice I've only seen a few places where liveaboards
actually use a pumpout. The several marinas I frequent have
liveaboards, but I've never seen one go to the pumpout station. At my
current place, I've never seen the pumpout actually used.

Here in New England, East of the Cape, there are 9+ foot tides, and
fairly directly access to the ocean, so folks aren't that concerned
about the commercial harbors. The recreational harbors that aren't
cleansed by tides tend to provide free pumpouts - places like Martha's
Vineyard provide that service.

But before you get "holier than though," when last I traveled through
the south, it was virtually impossible to get a pumpout anywhere, even
at places that advertised a free pumpout with a fillup.

That's strange becasue alal three of the big marinas in New Bern have
working pump-outs and with a low tidal sluggish waterway, the idea that
someone would be actively pumping straight to a river system that is
already overflowing with pllutants irks me no end. And yes, I have
noticed that some of the liveaboards never pump out..ut's disgusting...

Yeah we had some trailor trash living on a houseboat here and they
never pumped out.
They are gone.

Problem here is the powerboats (go fast boats) but the season is over
for them, thank god.
I pay 75 dollars a month for the pumpout service. Thinking of building
a pumpout cart, if the marina has a place to discharge it?? I would
think tapping into the office system would be do-able. a few mo. and it
pays for itself.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jeff wrote:
katy wrote:
Jeff wrote:

[...]

We had a problem like that with the dock guy at the Sheraton.Marina I
marched into the middle of the hotel lobby demanding to see the
concierge....we never had a problem after that....adnd if you tell them
you know how to do it and just start to do it yourself, they usually
just walk away...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Jeff wrote:
But before you get "holier than though," when last I traveled through
the south, it was virtually impossible to get a pumpout anywhere,
even at places that advertised a free pumpout with a fillup.

I wasn't being "holier than thou" just pointing out the facts.

And I have cruised the East Coast and found pumpouts not too
difficult to find. It's not as easy as it should be, but
it's very far from impossible.

That's strange becasue alal three of the big marinas in New Bern have
working pump-outs and with a low tidal sluggish waterway, the idea
that someone would be actively pumping straight to a river system that
is already overflowing with pllutants irks me no end.

Same here.

Our marina has a cart pump-out and makes it very easy, in
addition to the pump-out next to the fuel dock.

Liveaboards are subject to some extra fees but they also get
a free monthly pump-out (and if they come pump out the
holding tank and nothing comes out, the dockmaster takes a
close look at their plumbing). The only punishment I know of
in the last few years has been one guy who was kicked out
for many reasons, that being the official one.

We didn't make it up to New Bern. I suspect that a tenant of a marina
has a much easier time of getting a pumpout than a transient. And an
obvious traveler who is only stopping for fuel has less of a chance. Its
easy to believe that a kid would rather say "Its broken" or "The guy who
does that isn't here now" than deal with the pumpout.

I've heard that too, and always reported the "broken
pump-out" to the relevant coastal anti-pollution regulatory
agency.

If a marina pump-out has been installed with tax money, and
the marina owner gets a tax incentive for having it, then
reporting it broken (even if it really is broken) means they
are cheating the coastal taxpayers as well as boaters. Let
the IRS become the enforcement arm for these rules!

.... Or maybe they
think "They brought it here, they can take it elsewhere." The jokes on
them of course, because the frustrated boater probably hits the "eject"
button the instant the kid turns his back.

I've never done thatn although I've been tempted. Makes you
understand why some waters have rules that the overboard
plumbing must be disconnected & disabled, not just shut off
with a valve.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote

And I have cruised the East Coast and found pumpouts not too difficult to
find. It's not as easy as it should be, but it's very far from impossible.

They are free up here in Connecticut. There are stations and even
boats that come right to you to suck your holding tanks dry.

No cost except the much higher than average use tax fees for
boats that spend more than 60 days in CT waters.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Scotty wrote:
Scout, check out VC-17 bottom paint. Great stuff for
trailer sailors.

When's the maiden voyage?

You had good luck with it?

Yes, on my trailer sailor. That's what I wrote.

We put on VC 17 biocide but it didn't hold
over the 7 months it was in the water, even that far up

the Neuse...we
went to an ablative paint by Sea Hawk this time...problem

wuth the BC;s
is that if he does decide to slip her, he will have to

completely strip
the bottom before putting on something else

I didn't realize , before, that Scout was going to slip his
boat.

Scotty