posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Boat Bags

Oh, NJ? ;(

Saw the big Seaward at the boat show, looked nice.

Scotty

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
Scotty,
It has an adequate coat of bottom paint for now but I'll

keep the VC-17 in
mind. I'm not planning on trailering it more than once a

year at this point
(between home and a marina). Takes all the fun out of it

if I have to drop
the mast and pull it home every time. I have a place lined

up for next
summer, in Tuckerton, NJ.
I've pressure washed the Gulf gunk off. Looks pretty good.

Not sure when
I'll get my first voyage in, too much on my plate to worry

about it but I'm
having fun figuring stuff out on the hard.
Scout

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
Scout, check out VC-17 bottom paint. Great stuff for
trailer sailors.

When's the maiden voyage?

Scotty

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Joe" wrote in message

ups.com...

Scout wrote:
Anyone practicing safe sacks?

Hell no. Clorine is corrosive first...Second cant get

water for the
AC's and head.

Good point Joe, I guess I hadn't consider the AC! I

wonder though if it
still wouldn't work, that is, assuming the bag doesn't

actually obstruct
your intake, I wonder if the heat transfer through the

plastic would be
enough to keep the condensing water at or below design

temp. As for the
head, I assume (uh-oh) that you mean water for the head

which would end up
in your holding tank, and that you don't mean to say

you're flushing your
waste into the marina waters (like we did in the 60's &

70's). In any
event, I would imagine enough make-up water would get

into
the bag.
It looks like too much trouble for me, and besides, I

don't mind diving with
goggles and scraping, which I did with my Starwind. The

worst thing that
ever happened was some serious leg cramping (as in

charlie
horse) while I
had my foot hooked under the keel to keep me from

floating
up. Painful
stuff.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

At least for a year so I can get my parents out sailing as much as
possible - it's only 20 minutes from their place. Ultimately I want to be in
the Chessy though.
Scout

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
Oh, NJ? ;(

Saw the big Seaward at the boat show, looked nice.

Scotty

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
Scotty,
It has an adequate coat of bottom paint for now but I'll

keep the VC-17 in
mind. I'm not planning on trailering it more than once a

year at this point
(between home and a marina). Takes all the fun out of it

if I have to drop
the mast and pull it home every time. I have a place lined

up for next
summer, in Tuckerton, NJ.
I've pressure washed the Gulf gunk off. Looks pretty good.

Not sure when
I'll get my first voyage in, too much on my plate to worry

about it but I'm
having fun figuring stuff out on the hard.
Scout

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
Scout, check out VC-17 bottom paint. Great stuff for
trailer sailors.

When's the maiden voyage?

Scotty

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Joe" wrote in message

ups.com...

Scout wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

you renting a slip? mooring? private dock space?

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
At least for a year so I can get my parents out sailing as

much as
possible - it's only 20 minutes from their place.

Ultimately I want to be in
the Chessy though.
Scout

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
Oh, NJ? ;(

Saw the big Seaward at the boat show, looked nice.

Scotty

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
Scotty,
It has an adequate coat of bottom paint for now but

I'll
keep the VC-17 in
mind. I'm not planning on trailering it more than once

year at this point
(between home and a marina). Takes all the fun out of

it
if I have to drop
the mast and pull it home every time. I have a place

lined
up for next
summer, in Tuckerton, NJ.
I've pressure washed the Gulf gunk off. Looks pretty

good.
Not sure when
I'll get my first voyage in, too much on my plate to

worry
about it but I'm
having fun figuring stuff out on the hard.
Scout

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
Scout, check out VC-17 bottom paint. Great stuff for
trailer sailors.

When's the maiden voyage?

Scotty

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Joe" wrote in message

ups.com...

Scout wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Renting a slip, hopefully they have a place for me - I'm waiting to hear
back. Marina on the Bass River.

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
you renting a slip? mooring? private dock space?

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
At least for a year so I can get my parents out sailing as

much as
possible - it's only 20 minutes from their place.

Ultimately I want to be in
the Chessy though.
Scout

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
Oh, NJ? ;(

Saw the big Seaward at the boat show, looked nice.

Scotty

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
Scotty,
It has an adequate coat of bottom paint for now but

I'll
keep the VC-17 in
mind. I'm not planning on trailering it more than once

year at this point
(between home and a marina). Takes all the fun out of

it
if I have to drop
the mast and pull it home every time. I have a place

lined
up for next
summer, in Tuckerton, NJ.
I've pressure washed the Gulf gunk off. Looks pretty

good.
Not sure when
I'll get my first voyage in, too much on my plate to

worry
about it but I'm
having fun figuring stuff out on the hard.
Scout

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
Scout, check out VC-17 bottom paint. Great stuff for
trailer sailors.

When's the maiden voyage?

Scotty

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Joe" wrote in message

ups.com...

Scout wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Scout wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

Scout wrote:
Anyone practicing safe sacks?

Hell no. Clorine is corrosive first...Second cant get water for the
AC's and head.

Good point Joe, I guess I hadn't consider the AC! I wonder though if it
still wouldn't work, that is, assuming the bag doesn't actually obstruct
your intake, I wonder if the heat transfer through the plastic would be
enough to keep the condensing water at or below design temp.

Not down here it would not be. I like closed loop keel coolers but you
need water movement or a large area of water. I think the bags water
would be steaming here in just a few hours, But the water temp is 82
here. In NY it might work. If I bagged my boat I'd fill the bag with
fresh water and avoid the clorine.

As for the
head, I assume (uh-oh) that you mean water for the head which would end up
in your holding tank, and that you don't mean to say you're flushing your
waste into the marina waters (like we did in the 60's & 70's).

Suction to flush, we have a 75 gallon new holding tank.

In any
event, I would imagine enough make-up water would get into the bag.
It looks like too much trouble for me, and besides, I don't mind diving with
goggles and scraping, which I did with my Starwind. The worst thing that
ever happened was some serious leg cramping (as in charlie horse) while I
had my foot hooked under the keel to keep me from floating up. Painful
stuff.

Yeah cramps hurt, and can be dangerious under water. I like to get
offshore and scrub the bottom myself in clear water, and chip barneys
off the prop.

If I owned my own dock, then I'd build a submergeable barge, pull the
boat over it and lift the boat out of the water. Or a belt lift.

Joe

Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
Scout, check out VC-17 bottom paint. Great stuff for
trailer sailors.

When's the maiden voyage?

Scotty

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Joe" wrote in message

ups.com...
Scout wrote:
[...]

You had good luck with it? We put on VC 17 biocide but it didn't hold
over the 7 months it was in the water, even that far up the Neuse...we
went to an ablative paint by Sea Hawk this time...problem wuth the BC;s
is that if he does decide to slip her, he will have to completely strip
the bottom before putting on something else
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Scout wrote:

Anyone practicing safe sacks?

I saw those a couple of years ago up on the Chesapeake,
haven't seen any for a while though. It was supposed to be a
cheap alternative to dry sailing.

Joe wrote:
Hell no. Clorine is corrosive first...

Not on fiberglass, it isn't.

.... Second cant get water for the
AC's and head.

The AC would be an easy fix, as for the head.... WHY ARE YOU
FLUSHING YOUR HEAD OVERBOARD IN A MARINA, YOU DIRTBAG?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
Hell no. Clorine is corrosive first...

Not on fiberglass, it isn't.

.... Second cant get water for the
AC's and head.

The AC would be an easy fix, as for the head.... WHY ARE YOU FLUSHING
YOUR HEAD OVERBOARD IN A MARINA, YOU DIRTBAG?

DSK

Although overboard dumping is illegal everywhere that there are
marinas in the US, but in practice I've only seen a few places where
liveaboards actually use a pumpout. The several marinas I frequent
have liveaboards, but I've never seen one go to the pumpout station.
At my current place, I've never seen the pumpout actually used.

Here in New England, East of the Cape, there are 9+ foot tides, and
fairly directly access to the ocean, so folks aren't that concerned
about the commercial harbors. The recreational harbors that aren't
cleansed by tides tend to provide free pumpouts - places like Martha's
Vineyard provide that service.

But before you get "holier than though," when last I traveled through
the south, it was virtually impossible to get a pumpout anywhere, even
at places that advertised a free pumpout with a fillup.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jeff wrote:

Joe wrote:
[...]

That's strange becasue alal three of the big marinas in New Bern have
working pump-outs and with a low tidal sluggish waterway, the idea that
someone would be actively pumping straight to a river system that is
already overflowing with pllutants irks me no end. And yes, I have
noticed that some of the liveaboards never pump out..ut's disgusting...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Joe wrote:
Hell no. Clorine is corrosive first...

Not on fiberglass, it isn't.

.... Second cant get water for the
AC's and head.

The AC would be an easy fix, as for the head.... WHY ARE YOU
FLUSHING YOUR HEAD OVERBOARD IN A MARINA, YOU DIRTBAG?

Yo dip****, raw water is used to flush the head, I have a 75 gallon
holding tank, and pump off service that visits weekly. You need to take
a chill pill.

Joe

DSK