posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Jeff's Big Wind or Hot Air?

The Kings Point station (about 1.6 miles south of City and Hart
Islands)

Hey, Jeff...have you EVER been sailing? Did you ever watch a boat a
half mile away catch a strong bit of air while you ghosted along? Did
you ever sail past a harbor and pick up a funnel effect? Have you EVER
sailed on the LIS where winds are very shifty and vary in strength
minute to minute on some days. Do you TRULY think that the Kings Point
station had the same conditions we had a few miles away? How about on
the approach to Huntington harbor or Oyster Bay?
This sad attempt to somehow discredit my wind reports is lame in the
extreme, not to mention ignorant. Suppose I was only in 13 knots or
maybe it was 30...? The only reason you care at all is that we're out
there most days sailing and loving it.
And the rest of you....or MOST of you are sitting at home watching
reruns of Antique Road show.

I may be in the Matrix, but I do sail and prove it with Photos. I have
no reason at all to believe that most folks on ASA sail more than once
or twice a month! IF THAT MUCH!!!
I think I'll STAY in the Matrix. It's a place where people own boats
and actually spend time aboard them (Relax, Joe!).

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I'd be the first to say (as I've said several times in the past) that
"all weather is local."

However, you're the one, who on a number of occasions, has backed up
your claims of wind strength with the wind reports as measured at La
Guardia Airport, which is 10 miles away, with a quite different
geography. You even once used a report from Islip, 30 miles away in
the middle of Long Island. So If I'm being "lame" or citing a report
from a station in sight of where you were sailing, are you then
admitting that you're a complete incompetent idiot for using a station
30 miles away?

Further, if this was a one time event, it would be easy to say that
sometimes the wind is stronger, sometimes its weaker, a few miles
away. However, it seems that every single time you claim strong
winds, it is backed up neither by the local reports nor the pictures
that you provide. Are you really so demented as to believe that there
is a little wind fairy that follows you around, that is unnoticed by
anyone else?

Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jeff,

You are forgetting that LaGaurdia uses glide slope wind profilers to profile
wind velocity in a conical scan around the entire airport. Their profilers
reach all the way to the Connecticut shore and the data is very often used
by knowledgeable sailboat racers to win races, especially in the vicinity of
City Island. The data is good from the water surface up to several thousand
feet. You won't find the data on any NOAA site, it is available from FAA
sites. The data does show continuous gusts of very warm air, highly
localized, emanting from a sailboat near City Island. Divergence
calculations of the flow showed lack of continuity in the flow, it was
obviously a source of wind generation. The FAA labelled it a "Bloviation
Anamoly".

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote

Hey, Jeff...have you EVER been sailing?

OH BOY !! This is RICH! The self appointed ''Internet
Capt'' asking Jeff if he's ever sailed.

?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jeff" wrote in message

Are you really so demented as to believe that there
is a little fairy that follows you around,

Yeah, his name is Charlie.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

"Jeff" wrote
Are you really so demented as to believe that there
is a little fairy that follows you around,

Scotty wrote:
Yeah, his name is Charlie.

Ahem... his *new* name is Charlie. And he's not a fairy, he
stalks women!

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ummm.. it's brown and gooey, but I don't think it's rich.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Capt. Rob" wrote

Hey, Jeff...have you EVER been sailing?

OH BOY !! This is RICH! The self appointed ''Internet
Capt'' asking Jeff if he's ever sailed.

?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

in nutrients.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Ummm.. it's brown and gooey, but I don't think it's rich.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Capt. Rob" wrote

Hey, Jeff...have you EVER been sailing?

OH BOY !! This is RICH! The self appointed ''Internet
Capt'' asking Jeff if he's ever sailed.

?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:33:09 -0400, DSK

"Jeff" wrote

Scotty wrote:
Yeah, his name is Charlie.

Ahem... his *new* name is Charlie. And he's not a fairy,

he
stalks women!

DSK

He does? Care to provide some proof of your slow witted

accusation?

Sure, just go here;
Charlie-aka-BB-Krusty-is-a-BIGfatASShole-and-FAIRY@idiotsRyo
u.com

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jeff,

Not only is Islip more than 30 miles away it is also on the OCEAN side
of L.I. Not only is it on the South Shore, it is located on the south
Bay.

Jeff, it is all part of Nutsy's managed Troll.
It's a "Nutys Characteristic" Have fun with him and don't let him get
under your "Skin!"

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/IDONTFEELGOOD

measuring wind and weather purple_stars Cruising 6 February 20th 06 08:34 PM
True "true wind" & the Raymarine ST60, or other b393capt Electronics 23 December 23rd 05 12:33 AM
B&G Wind direction totally wrong Albe V° Electronics 1 September 5th 05 11:30 PM
VDO wind sensor Pyry Electronics 0 August 15th 04 06:28 PM
Nasty, Nasty, Crazy Day Sailing Today Bart Senior ASA 50 November 17th 03 06:40 AM