posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Water Spouts

A Water Spout formed of LIS today. Several tried to form and
one actually touched down--about 40' tall.

Ever seen one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterspout

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Bart Senior wrote:
A Water Spout formed of LIS today. Several tried to form and
one actually touched down--about 40' tall.

Ever seen one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterspout

Been offshore with 4-5 visiable at one time.
Pretty cool. Rumor is, if you hit one with a big enough boat they
collapse, not that I'd try.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:21:13 -0400, "Bart Senior" .@. wrote:

A Water Spout formed of LIS today. Several tried to form and
one actually touched down--about 40' tall.

Ever seen one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterspout

Dozens of times in the Gulf, sometimes multiples.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart Senior wrote:

A Water Spout formed of LIS today. Several tried to form and
one actually touched down--about 40' tall.

Ever seen one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterspout

I sail dinghys on a small inland lake. "Swirlies" are pretty common,
but I've only seen one where the wind was strong enough for it to be a
waterspout. It picked up a pontoon boat and flipped it upside down.
Pretty impressive.

Ok, maybe it wasn't strong enough to be a "real" waterspout, but it was
still pretty impresssive.

//Walt
posted to alt.sailing.asa

I'm not sure if it's quite the same thing, but we encountered one in the
south bay coming off the marsh land. They're kind of unpredictable there...
see them quite frequently. We lost sight of it, then wham it hit the boat
and pushed it over until the main touched the water, then we popped back up,
and it kept going. We were on a mid-20' Merit. I wouldn't really call it a
waterspout, more like a whirly wind. Guessing 50 kts or slightly more.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
A Water Spout formed of LIS today. Several tried to form and
one actually touched down--about 40' tall.

Ever seen one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterspout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart Senior wrote:
A Water Spout formed of LIS today. Several tried to form and
one actually touched down--about 40' tall.

Ever seen one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterspout

Severak tines..they're unnerving enough when you see them from land but
even more so when you're out on the water...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
I'm not sure if it's quite the same thing, but we encountered one in the
south bay coming off the marsh land. They're kind of unpredictable there...
see them quite frequently. We lost sight of it, then wham it hit the boat
and pushed it over until the main touched the water, then we popped back up,
and it kept going. We were on a mid-20' Merit. I wouldn't really call it a
waterspout, more like a whirly wind. Guessing 50 kts or slightly more.

We get those back un out pasture in MI...call them dust
devils....they're about 6-8 ft tall and are heat generated...one chased
the cat up a tree....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Walt wrote:
Bart Senior wrote:

A Water Spout formed of LIS today. Several tried to form and
one actually touched down--about 40' tall.

Ever seen one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterspout

I sail dinghys on a small inland lake. "Swirlies" are pretty common,
but I've only seen one where the wind was strong enough for it to be a
waterspout. It picked up a pontoon boat and flipped it upside down.
Pretty impressive.

Ok, maybe it wasn't strong enough to be a "real" waterspout, but it was
still pretty impresssive.

Yes, I've seen a few "mini waterspouts" mixed in with line squalls -
not enough to do serious damage, but enough to flip a small boat.
I've also seen a lot of what we called "wind pussies" that were
vortexes off of planes landing at the airport, conveniently located in
the middle of Boston Harbor. Enough to trigger a gybe, if you weren't
looking.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
Bart Senior wrote:
A Water Spout formed of LIS today. Several tried to form and
one actually touched down--about 40' tall.

Ever seen one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterspout

Been offshore with 4-5 visiable at one time.
Pretty cool. Rumor is, if you hit one with a big enough boat they
collapse, not that I'd try.

Joe

Your boat could probably stop a small one.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote:
Joe wrote:
Bart Senior wrote:
A Water Spout formed of LIS today. Several tried to form and
one actually touched down--about 40' tall.

Ever seen one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterspout

Been offshore with 4-5 visiable at one time.
Pretty cool. Rumor is, if you hit one with a big enough boat they
collapse, not that I'd try.

Joe

Your boat could probably stop a small one.

His boat could probably stop a full-fledged tornado...