posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Port Holes

I'm thinking of replacing my Europe style windows with ol fashion port
holes.

Anyone know a source for 13 solid brass military type port holes?
US Navy surplus would be ideal. 16-22 inch with D solid covers, opening
armored glass type.

Thanks
Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
I'm thinking of replacing my Europe style windows with ol fashion port
holes.

Anyone know a source for 13 solid brass military type port holes?
US Navy surplus would be ideal. 16-22 inch with D solid covers, opening
armored glass type.

Good luck. I have 2 and they're not for sale. My father 'acquired' them
sometime after WW2. Too big to put in anything I'll ever build but they
make great doorstops.

FWIW a local foundry casts smaller ones and the castings alone cost
$500 AUD. Even in USD it's still a lotta money.

Local antiques place has 2 rectangular opening ports, no solid covers,
probably 900 x 600, solid bronze, for $600 ea. I've been thinking of
fitting one ot my house in the bathroom.

BTW, the phrase 'silk purse - sow's ear' comes to mind when I picture
your boat with the bronze ports :-)

PDW

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Peter wrote:
Good luck. I have 2 and they're not for sale. My father 'acquired' them
sometime after WW2. Too big to put in anything I'll ever build but they
make great doorstops.

They also make great frames for small pictures & mirrors.
Hard to break a mirror that's framed in more metal than '54
Buick.

FWIW a local foundry casts smaller ones and the castings alone cost
$500 AUD. Even in USD it's still a lotta money.

I bet they're making a mint if they also do industrial
casting. There's a new business around here that is
basically a bunch of old foundrymen, refinanced & relocated
near the highway. They're turning away orders and looking to
train new men.

BTW, the phrase 'silk purse - sow's ear' comes to mind when I picture
your boat with the bronze ports :-)

Not to mention the electrolysis... maybe he could run leads
to his battery charger...

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Peter wrote:
Good luck. I have 2 and they're not for sale. My father 'acquired' them
sometime after WW2. Too big to put in anything I'll ever build but they
make great doorstops.

Yeah I had one armored glass battle ship type with a solid dogging
cover and sold it on E-bay for 250 dollars. I could get them off ebay
but it may take a year to get that many matching port holes. I figure
for 5K I could replace all the windows with proper ports

They also make great frames for small pictures & mirrors.
Hard to break a mirror that's framed in more metal than '54
Buick.

FWIW a local foundry casts smaller ones and the castings alone cost
$500 AUD. Even in USD it's still a lotta money.

Yeah I found a source in Europe and the run around 350 each for 12"
ports.

I bet they're making a mint if they also do industrial
casting. There's a new business around here that is
basically a bunch of old foundrymen, refinanced & relocated
near the highway. They're turning away orders and looking to
train new men.

BTW, the phrase 'silk purse - sow's ear' comes to mind when I picture
your boat with the bronze ports :-)

Whys that?

Not to mention the electrolysis... maybe he could run leads
to his battery charger...

I guess every battle ship and navy ship, USCG, ect all have
electrolysis problems due to port holes huh Doug?

Joe

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Joe wrote:
I guess every battle ship and navy ship, USCG, ect all have
electrolysis problems due to port holes huh Doug?

Dunno... I *do* know that every navy ship has got an almost
limitless supply of guys with short hair standing around
with nothing else to do all day but chip rust.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Joe wrote:
I guess every battle ship and navy ship, USCG, ect all have
electrolysis problems due to port holes huh Doug?

Dunno... I *do* know that every navy ship has got an almost
limitless supply of guys with short hair standing around
with nothing else to do all day but chip rust.

DSK

Well I do know, a gasket is used and if you put a proper coat of paint
on the steel before you bolt on the ports you do not have two unlike
metals touching. It amazes me that an engineer like you could not
figure this out. If you have a chance go down to the navy yard and look
for yourself.

http://www.deepimage.co.uk/wrecks/eg...tholeleigh.jpg

Looks like the ship rotted out before the port to cabin area in that
application.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Peter wrote:
Good luck. I have 2 and they're not for sale. My father 'acquired' them
sometime after WW2. Too big to put in anything I'll ever build but they
make great doorstops.

Yeah I had one armored glass battle ship type with a solid dogging
cover and sold it on E-bay for 250 dollars. I could get them off ebay
but it may take a year to get that many matching port holes. I figure
for 5K I could replace all the windows with proper ports

Hmmm. I can go to the foundry this afternoon as I have a port call
meeting up the block. Time I got a few more castings for the smaller
ones, might ask them what the biggest set of patterns they have is...
thought of machining some up & flogging them on Ebay but unless I can
make 100% over my materials cost I have better things to do. One of my
lathes can handle up to 28" dia.

BTW, the phrase 'silk purse - sow's ear' comes to mind when I picture
your boat with the bronze ports :-)

Whys that?

Because I just can't see them looking 'right' on that big pilothouse of
yours.

PDW

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You can get them at West Marine. Only they
are not brass (or even bronze--plastic), not armored
(plastic), and not round.