posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Docking Situation Question #2

"Jeff" wrote
| Release painter. (How many know what that is?)

I know what a painter is. It's the line to a dinghy. You cleat it to your sailboat to
tow the dinghy. I don't think a line to the front of a bigger sailboat is called a painter.

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

You'd think wrong.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Jeff" wrote
| Release painter. (How many know what that is?)

I know what a painter is. It's the line to a dinghy. You cleat it to
your sailboat to
tow the dinghy. I don't think a line to the front of a bigger sailboat is
called a painter.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ellen MacArthur wrote:
"Jeff" wrote
| Release painter. (How many know what that is?)

I know what a painter is. It's the line to a dinghy. You cleat it to your sailboat to
tow the dinghy. I don't think a line to the front of a bigger sailboat is called a painter.

Cheers,
Ellen

As I was taught, if its permanently attached (more or less) to the
bow, its a painter. If not, its a dock line. Since the club boats I
used in my youth (and still use, on occasion) all come and go from the
dock hourly, its handy to have a painter, even if they're 25 feet.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

... I don't think a line to the front of a bigger
sailboat is called a painter.

How big a boat? How is it fastened?

Jeff wrote:
As I was taught, if its permanently attached (more or less) to the bow,
its a painter. If not, its a dock line...

Agreed, a "painter" (as I've always heard the term used) is
a dedicated line to the bow of a boat small enough to be
towed as a dinghy/tender. Doesn't matter if it's currently
in use as a tow rope, bow line to the pier, or coiled under
the bow thwart.

The ways I've seen painters "permanently attached" include a
spliced loop to a bow eye, a spliced loop w/ a lark's head
knot to bow eye, reeved thru a hole in the stem with a
stopper knot, and spliced into the rope rubrail around the
gunwhale (only seen this once, wouldn't really recommend it
although it looks salty).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Well, we've used the term when towing another boat of about the same size...
don't know if that's what it's supposed to be called, however.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jeff wrote:
As I was taught, if its permanently attached (more or less) to the bow,
its a painter. If not, its a dock line...

Agreed, a "painter" (as I've always heard the term used) is a dedicated
line to the bow of a boat small enough to be towed as a dinghy/tender.
Doesn't matter if it's currently in use as a tow rope, bow line to the
pier, or coiled under the bow thwart.

The ways I've seen painters "permanently attached" include a spliced loop
to a bow eye, a spliced loop w/ a lark's head knot to bow eye, reeved thru
a hole in the stem with a stopper knot, and spliced into the rope rubrail
around the gunwhale (only seen this once, wouldn't really recommend it
although it looks salty).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote
| How do you sail off a dock when the wind is on
| the bow? [Assume an end-tie situation] 1 pt.

Attach the line from a small anchor to a cleat on the front of your boat.
Row the anchor out with your dinghy. Drop the anchor three or four boat
lengths in front of your bow. Untie the dock lines and pull on the anchor
line till your over the anchor. Weigh the anchor and off you go...

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in
message
reenews.ne
t...

wrote
| How do you sail off a dock when the wind is on
| the bow? [Assume an end-tie situation] 1 pt.

Attach the line from a small anchor to a cleat on the

front of your boat.
Row the anchor out with your dinghy. Drop the anchor three

or four boat
lengths in front of your bow. Untie the dock lines and

pull on the anchor
line till your over the anchor. Weigh the anchor and off

you go...

3 boat lengths? By the time you weigh anchor you'll be back
crashing on the dock.

SV