posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Let's Pretend

Scotty wrote:
"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On 14 Sep 2006 07:34:19 -0700, "Joe"

wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 14 Sep 2006 06:35:00 -0700, "Joe"

wrote:

The fact is most of you here never leave the sight of

land because your
boats are not steel and so seaworthy as to be near

unsinkable, so let's
pretend.

You are on a Disney cruise ship, the SS Mickey Mouse

hits an iceberg
and sinks.

Okay so the steel boat has now sunk...

Yelp...even the best can sink...look at the titanic

Luckly you, clawed your way aboard one of the

lifeboats.
Now you must take command and and navigate your boat

back to land.

The boat that saves you after the steel boat failed and

sank is made
of what material?

Inferior plastic, rubber or fiberglass.

If plastic, rubber and fiberglass are so inferior, then

why aren't the
lifeboats made of steel? Seems like its always those boats

made from
"inferior" materials are what you can depend on to save

your life when
the steel boat fails.

What is the CG cutter that's about to rescue you made of?

Scotty, no USCG ship, boat, or plane is coming. They mis-understood the
maday for another commerical for the Pirates of the Carribean.

How can you use what you have left to navigate to save yourself?

Joe

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com..
..

Cost mainly and weight, lightweight plastic are easy to

launch and it's
cheaper to haul light stuff around than the proper heavy

seaworthy
steel lifeboats of yesteryear.

http://www.tor.cc/photos4.htm

Plus less maintainance ie:cheaper to own.

ie: no rust

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Scotty wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com..
.

Cost mainly and weight, lightweight plastic are easy to

launch and it's
cheaper to haul light stuff around than the proper heavy

seaworthy
steel lifeboats of yesteryear.

http://www.tor.cc/photos4.htm

Plus less maintainance ie:cheaper to own.

ie: no rust

More like no painting...with todays modern coatings steel if far
superior to any plastic for a seaworthy vessel.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe,

I'm pretty much with Scotty on this one. With Satellite viewing, Radio
check in, and Sea-Air Rescue, staying ON STATION is the proper thing to
do!

For your "Let's Pretend" You don't say which ocean your on but if you
hit an Iceberg you are at a high latitude N or S. You are never without
a crude sextant as long as you have a arm and a fist.( A closed fist at
arm's length is 10 degrees. The sun rises in the East and sets in the
west. Local Noon has the shortest shadows.

If you have a smashed sextant abroad that means you have the "Sight
tables" with you. You should have no problem getting your Lat.

LON; With out a watch is a little difficult. A estimate is possible by
figuring your, SS Mickey Mouse is a fairly new Vessel and cruises at
around 20 knot and the LNT + the time she left the last port shouldn't
be to far off

But stay on Station, in this day and age is the proper thing to do; if
your cruise ship sinks.

Now, if that rust bucket was taking on more water than the pumps could
handle that would be another story.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I actually carry (on my boat, not person) a packet called
"Particularized Navigation" by the late Francis Wright. She was my
navigation teacher and good friend, and had an office down the hall
from me.

The packet includes a small book which explains basic celestial and
other navigation techniques, and has the tables needed to take simple
fixes. It even has a method for determining time. If covers various
emergency situations, such as lost almanac, etc. This is a 66 page
book, easy to carry.

The second item is a 50 page pamphlet, that includes simplified
instructions, plus various tables including the day by day Sun
declination tables, that, with a Sextant would give you latitude to
about a mile. This is small enough to slip in your pocket.

Finally, there are several sheets of paper, that includes a protractor
template that would give you about one degree accuracy as a sextant,
and simple declination tables. With care you might get 30-60 mile
accuracy on Latitude.

Whenever I travel on a Mickey Mouse cruise ship, I carry this.

P.S. You may remember that my late Father-in-Law navigated 1800 miles
in an open lifeboat after being torpedoed at the end of WWII. They
had a sextant, tables and charts, and Movado wris****ch. Dave claims
they always knew where they were, and only missed Tobago because they
were afraid of going in at night. They ending up near Curacao, having
sailed from 800 miles west of Dakar.

Joe wrote:
The fact is most of you here never leave the sight of land because your
boats are not steel and so seaworthy as to be near unsinkable, so let's
pretend.

You are on a Disney cruise ship, the SS Mickey Mouse hits an iceberg
and sinks.

Luckly you, clawed your way aboard one of the lifeboats.
Now you must take command and and navigate your boat back to land.

Robert fumbled aboard and crushed the only sextant flatter than a
pancake.

The only watch you have is a Rolex bought from a NYer and as soon as
it hit... water it shorted out and stopped functioning.

You have the typical items found in a lifeboat, minus the
compass(stolen from all the lifeboats by a rum soaked Canook) how do
you figure out where you are, and were you need to go?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Liberty Ship lifeboats

Whenever I travel on a Mickey Mouse cruise ship, I carry this.

Smart move, a personal IR strobe, and epirb would be a good ideal to.

P.S. You may remember that my late Father-in-Law navigated 1800 miles
in an open lifeboat after being torpedoed at the end of WWII. They
had a sextant, tables and charts, and Movado wris****ch. Dave claims
they always knew where they were, and only missed Tobago because they
were afraid of going in at night. They ending up near Curacao, having
sailed from 800 miles west of Dakar.

Yes it was an epic story, I still like the baseball liberty story best
:0)

Check out this lifeboat story:
http://www.tor.cc/articles/thumper.htm

Funny read, situation... and sounds like a trip of a lifetime.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
Check out this lifeboat story:
http://www.tor.cc/articles/thumper.htm

Funny read, situation... and sounds like a trip of a lifetime.

Great story. My time in Key West and Dry Tortugas was with a lot more
luxury, and probably a lot less fun!

Thanks for the link.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
The fact is most of you here never leave the sight of land because your
boats are not steel and so seaworthy as to be near unsinkable

. . . like the Titanic.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

In this day and age I'd just sit back and wait for the Coast Guard.
Cruise ships don't stray far from land either.