posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Seamanship Question #33

Do you know the ropes? One who know sthe ropes
is someone who knows the standards for running rigging
tallships, but it also applies to sloops, ketches, yawls
and schooner.

What side the the "standard" side, port or starboard,
to lead and cleat off halyards:

1. Jib halyard
2. Main halyard

For a Schooner or a gaff rig:

3. Peak Halyard
4. Throat Halyard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart Senior wrote:
Do you know the ropes? One who know sthe ropes
is someone who knows the standards for running rigging
tallships, but it also applies to sloops, ketches, yawls
and schooner.

What side the the "standard" side, port or starboard,
to lead and cleat off halyards:

too easy (actually I was always a catboat sailor at heart!)
1. Jib halyard
2. Main halyard

I'll just do the tough part.

For a Schooner or a gaff rig:

3. Peak Halyard

Starboard

4. Throat Halyard

Port

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote

| Do you know the ropes? One who know sthe ropes
| is someone who knows the standards for running rigging
| tallships, but it also applies to sloops, ketches, yawls
| and schooner.
|
| What side the the "standard" side, port or starboard,
| to lead and cleat off halyards:
|
| 1. Jib halyard
| 2. Main halyard
|
| For a Schooner or a gaff rig:
|
| 3. Peak Halyard
| 4. Throat Halyard

That's not a fair question. Anybody who gets it right is Googling it. Unless they happened
to work or train on a tall ship.

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ellen MacArthur wrote:

That's not a fair question. Anybody who gets it right is
Googling it. Unless they happened to work or train on a tall ship.

He said that it also applies to other types of boats. I have no idea what
the standard is, but my limited experience suggests to me that the main
halyard is to starboard, and the jib halyard is to port. I don't know about
the bits pertaining to boats that aren't sloops. (At best, I'll get half a
point...)

--
Capt Scumbalino

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. Scumbalino wrote:
Ellen MacArthur wrote:

That's not a fair question. Anybody who gets it right is
Googling it. Unless they happened to work or train on a tall ship.

He said that it also applies to other types of boats. I have no idea what
the standard is, but my limited experience suggests to me that the main
halyard is to starboard, and the jib halyard is to port. I don't know about
the bits pertaining to boats that aren't sloops. (At best, I'll get half a
point...)

Our main is to port and jib to starboard...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

katy wrote:

Our main is to port and jib to starboard...

Bang goes that theory, then...

--
Capt Scumbalino

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Capt. Scumbalino wrote:
Ellen MacArthur wrote:

That's not a fair question. Anybody who gets it

right is
Googling it. Unless they happened to work or train on a

tall ship.

He said that it also applies to other types of boats. I

have no idea what
the standard is, but my limited experience suggests to

me that the main
halyard is to starboard, and the jib halyard is to port.

I don't know about
the bits pertaining to boats that aren't sloops. (At

best, I'll get half a
point...)

Our main is to port and jib to starboard...

Mine are both to port (internal halyards)

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
"katy" wrote in message
Capt. Scumbalino wrote:
Ellen MacArthur wrote:

That's not a fair question. Anybody who gets it

right is
Googling it. Unless they happened to work or train on a

tall ship.
He said that it also applies to other types of boats. I

have no idea what
the standard is, but my limited experience suggests to

me that the main
halyard is to starboard, and the jib halyard is to port.

I don't know about
the bits pertaining to boats that aren't sloops. (At

best, I'll get half a
point...)

Our main is to port and jib to starboard...

Mine are both to port (internal halyards)

Scotty

Ours are internal also...the spinnaker halyard is on the starboard side
also.....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

I've seen discrepancies in this area,
however, in most cases you will find the jib halyard
to port and main to starboard.

2 points to Capt S.

BTW, It never a bad idea to label you halyards. Ever sail on an
unlabeled boat? In particular a complicated one?