posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Eldersailing, eyeglass management

New perscription time. Need correction for both distance and reading.
what is the best way to combine/manage the various combinations of
clear and tinted lenses. I had variable lenses with clip-ons. but the
poloroids made reading the instruments difficult and the lenses
weren't large enough to give adequate UV protection. Suggestions?
posted to alt.sailing.asa

In article ,
Marc wrote:
New perscription time. Need correction for both distance and reading.
what is the best way to combine/manage the various combinations of
clear and tinted lenses. I had variable lenses with clip-ons. but the
poloroids made reading the instruments difficult and the lenses
weren't large enough to give adequate UV protection. Suggestions?

You can always tilt your head to one side to read with polarized
lenses. I like my clip-on shades for casual sailing, but if I'm going
to be sailing consistently in sunny conditions, I put on regular
prescription bi-focal shades. They are polarized also.. don't see how
you can get past that. The other downside to the sunglasses is that I
have to remove them if I go below, so that I can see what I'm
doing/reading.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Marc wrote:
New perscription time. Need correction for both distance and reading.
what is the best way to combine/manage the various combinations of
clear and tinted lenses. I had variable lenses with clip-ons. but the
poloroids made reading the instruments difficult and the lenses
weren't large enough to give adequate UV protection. Suggestions?

I have progressive bifocals with an automatic tinting (photo-sun?
transitions?) Now they're the only glasses I wear. I used to keep
untinted and polaroid prescription glasses, but no more.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 17:57:19 -0400, Jeff wrote:
Sounds like a great idea, thanks.

Are the progressives large enough to block the scattered UV?
How fast is the transition from dark to clear?
Any problem reading a chart plotter in full sun?

I have progressive bifocals with an automatic tinting (photo-sun?
transitions?) Now they're the only glasses I wear. I used to keep
untinted and polaroid prescription glasses, but no more.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Marc wrote:
On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 17:57:19 -0400, Jeff wrote:
Sounds like a great idea, thanks.

Are the progressives large enough to block the scattered UV?

Its a normal frame, in style a few years ago. Today's are a bit
smaller, but whatever you want. I usually wear a hat, and the helm
has a hardtop, so I don't worry too much about wrap-around glasses.

How fast is the transition from dark to clear?

They go dark pretty quick. The only time I notice them is when they
take a minute or two to go light when I go inside.

Any problem reading a chart plotter in full sun?

The only thing I have a problem with is my camera.

I have progressive bifocals with an automatic tinting (photo-sun?
transitions?) Now they're the only glasses I wear. I used to keep
untinted and polaroid prescription glasses, but no more.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..

Its a normal frame, in style a few years ago. Today's are a bit smaller,
but whatever you want.

They are getting larger again, Jeff, if incrementally. I pray we never go
back to the Elton John look or the Harry Carey-type frames. :-(

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Marc" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 17:57:19 -0400, Jeff wrote:
Sounds like a great idea, thanks.

Are the progressives large enough to block the scattered UV?
How fast is the transition from dark to clear?
Any problem reading a chart plotter in full sun?

You may be misinterpreting the term "progressives." Progressive add lenses
(PALs) are the blended, lineless multifocal lenses that most people wear in
lieu of the more traditional flat-top bifocals or trifocals. They come in
blanks up to 80mm, which means they can generally be ground to fit almost
any frame, large or small.

Transitions are faster than they used to be, but there is still a lag time.

The problems of reading a chart plotter in full sun would depend on lots of
factors, but without polarizers in your sunglasses, and with the new
sunlight-viewable LCD screens, you should have no trouble seeing them in
direct sun.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Marc wrote:
New perscription time. Need correction for both distance and reading.
what is the best way to combine/manage the various combinations of
clear and tinted lenses. I had variable lenses with clip-ons. but the
poloroids made reading the instruments difficult and the lenses
weren't large enough to give adequate UV protection. Suggestions?

They have sunglasses that will fit over your regular glasses that wrap
around to keep all UV rays out. Walgreen's carries them; they're about
30/pair...I like them better than either my clip-ons, which have a bad
habit of slipping off when you're least expecting them to, or
prescription sunglasses, which never seem to be the same prescrrption as
my regular glasses. Probably has something to do with the color of the
lense or the amount of lught let in. Best person to answer would be
Maxprop, since it's his specialty.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message

They have sunglasses that will fit over your regular glasses that wrap
around to keep all UV rays out. Walgreen's carries them; they're about
30/pair...I like them better than either my clip-ons,

Only problem is that you'll look like an octegenarian who's just had
cataract surgery. The surgeons give those to all their patients.

which have a bad habit of slipping off when you're least expecting them to,
or prescription sunglasses, which never seem to be the same prescrrption as
my regular glasses. Probably has something to do with the color of the
lense or the amount of lught let in. Best person to answer would be
Maxprop, since it's his specialty.

Sun lenses, if properly dark, will cut your VA by about a line and one-half.
Some people *feel* that the lenses aren't the same Rx, but they generally
are.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Maxprop wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

[...]

I don't particularly care what they look like, just that they work
Seeing that I'm out there to SAIL and not to be some fashion plate, it
is more important that they are comfortable and do their job. Putting
vanity before necessoty, IMO, is rather dimb, so I'll just stick with my
geeky glasses.

US Senate votes to reauthorize fisheries management bill....... [email protected] General 0 June 20th 06 01:09 AM
Boat management software Dick Locke Cruising 0 April 9th 04 05:55 PM
Waste management Jim Lynch Cruising 2 February 28th 04 01:00 PM
Dolphin/Wahoo Management Plan Approved for Atlantic Capt. Dave General 0 January 10th 04 03:37 AM
Yamaha fuel management gauge NMEA hookup Kurt S. Electronics 0 November 24th 03 01:27 AM