posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Keel Examples

In my quest to better understand keels and what the differances are can
someone post boats that are fitted with the following keels?

Full Keel
Fin Keel
Shoal Keel
Bulb Keel
Wing Keel
Swing Keel
Drop Keel

and something with a centerboard and a daggerboard.

thanks,
RogueIT

posted to alt.sailing.asa

RogueIT wrote:
In my quest to better understand keels and what the differances are can
someone post boats that are fitted with the following keels?

Full Keel
Fin Keel
Shoal Keel
Bulb Keel
Wing Keel
Swing Keel
Drop Keel

and something with a centerboard and a daggerboard.

thanks,
RogueIT

Why not go to a website where that information is readily available and
where you can see the hulls cut away, external features, etc. Many
boats can be ordered with different keels....
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

RogueIT wrote:
In my quest to better understand keels and what the differances are can
someone post boats that are fitted with the following keels?

Full Keel

Westsail 32
Tayana 37
Whitby 42
Valiant 40
Bristol 35

example
http://www.tgw.net/sailing/qca/jpegs...gdrawing_L.JPG

http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/sovere2.gif

Modified or cutaway "full keel" Nordica 30
Morgan Out Island series

example (this one is a bit more cut away than others)
http://www.libertysails.com/assets/images/sail_plan.JPG

Fin Keel

Almost every production (ie "brand name") boat
Cal, Ranger, Columbia, Catalina, Pearson, Morgan, C&C,
Hunter, etc etc

http://www.catalina22.org/nsa/racing...s/image002.jpg

This boat has the rudder taken off
http://www.mudhead.org/images/Classifieds/side.jpg

comparison
http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/TP/.../Fig-1-1-2.gif

http://www.marinewatch.info/keels.jpg

http://www.marinewaypoints.com/learn...mages/keel.jpg

Here is a boat specifically designed to gain some of the
benefits of both fin & full keels
http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/Anacortes%2032.htm

Shoal Keel

Could be anything, fin or full... just means that it doesn't
stick as far down below the surface of the water.

Bulb Keel

Just like a fin keel, only with a big lump of heavy stuff at
the bottom to improve stability.

http://www.mallorca-bootcharter.de/media/v60/keel.jpg
http://www.segelsport-hille.de/1/TRAILER%20J80%202.jpg

Wing Keel

One of those multi-purpose variations: the wing keel is just
like a fin keel, only shoal draft with a wing like an
airplanes at the bottom. This adds weight low down and also
makes the keel more efficient with regard to lift/drag
ratios (ie less leeway, higher speed).

http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/...-wing-keel.jpg

http://www.ospreysguide.com/ducky/im...rside-keel.jpg

http://www.vacantisw.com/images/Articles/frontview.jpg

Swing Keel

Heavy ballast, pivoted with some means of pulling it up so
as to sail in shallow water.

http://www.northshore.co.uk/index.php?p=swing/swing

http://www.romah.freeserve.co.uk/0im...el_profile.gif

http://www.nanco.se/case_studies/bilder/idesign4.gif

Drop Keel

Similar to swing keel, only it slides up and down instead of
pivoting.

and something with a centerboard and a daggerboard.

A centerboard is the same as a swing keel, except less
intended to be ballast and used on smaller boats; also they
usually pull completely inside the hull when 'up' whereas
swing keels often don't. Daggerboards are just like drop
keels only without the ballast (drop keels are sometimes
called dagger keels); also daggerboards are used in much
smaller boats like Sunfish & Lasers.

Now here's a combination you don't see often
http://www.mitchellyachts.co.uk/page3.htm

One thing to bear in mind, this discussion of "the keel" and
it's external form should not be confused with "the keel" as
a structural member; keel & keelson are often used
interchangeably in the structural context.

Hope this helps, seems possible that I should have stuck
with just some pics and not put in any words

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Hope this helps, seems possible that I should have stuck
with just some pics and not put in any words

Finally, something we can all agree on.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Bob is offline

Capt. Rob wrote:
Hope this helps, seems possible that I should have stuck
with just some pics and not put in any words

Finally, something we can all agree on.

Uhh...................

Leaboards
twin bilge keels

So what is a keelson?
Bob

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Bob wrote:
Uhh...................

Leaboards
twin bilge keels

Trying to confuse the poor guy?

Actually when my wife & I first started looking at big
cruising boats, one that got serious interest was a Bolger
ketch with leeboards. While I hesitated, somebody else
bought it.

So what is a keelson?

Interior structural member along the centerline, usually
laid down above the ribs & tied into the floors but
sometimes notched for the ribs & beveled for the garboard.

Here's the best pic I could find on short notice, scroll
about halfway down.
http://www.amespointboatworks.com/Ca...Knockabout.htm

This is a gorgeous boat too.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Bob is offline

DSK wrote:

Trying to confuse the poor guy?

Actually when my wife & I first started looking at big
cruising boats, one that got serious interest was a Bolger
ketch with leeboards. While I hesitated, somebody else
bought it.

Darn. Ive never seen a Bolger design in person. Pertty cool.

I have always lusted over a 45' Texas Scow Scooner. Oh, and the sailing
scow Alma in SF, CA. Now that is the most graceful shoe box I've ever
sceen!

So what is a keelson?

I was hoping for a wise crack on the order of, "a keel made in Sweeden"

Interior structural member along the centerline, usually
laid down above the ribs & tied into the floors but
sometimes notched for the ribs & beveled for the garboard.

Damn, I didnt think anybody over hear knew anything about boats.

Good on mate!

Bob

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Bob wrote:
Darn. Ive never seen a Bolger design in person. Pertty cool.

This one was a 45' gaff leeboard clipper-bowed ketch... hull
form similar to the Thames barges, rather boxy (not hard
chine) but with handsomely shaped bow & stern. Very shoal
draft, pivoted masts, not so great as a passagemaker but a
boat that could do anything including the canals. The design
is called 'Bird of Dawning' (blech), I think a half dozen or
so have been built.

I have always lusted over a 45' Texas Scow Scooner. Oh, and the sailing
scow Alma in SF, CA. Now that is the most graceful shoe box I've ever
sceen!

If you pay 5$ extra you can go sailing on the Alma. It's
kind of fun even if you're herded on board with a gaggle of
tourists. It just goes to show how much times change, at one
point these type of boats were as common as pickup trucks.

So what is a keelson?

I was hoping for a wise crack on the order of, "a keel made in Sweeden"

If I'd thought of that, I have said it.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Doug

Did you read about Evgeniy and the boat he built in his kitchen and
lashed to the outside of his apartment?

http://www.riverearth.com/seabird/20...1_archive.html

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart Senior wrote:
Doug

Did you read about Evgeniy and the boat he built in his kitchen and
lashed to the outside of his apartment?

http://www.riverearth.com/seabird/20...1_archive.html

Wonder what the neighbor's upstairs thought when the mast went up!

C&C keel, lead, covering, grounding, what to do .. Lester Evans Cruising 4 April 24th 06 07:28 PM
Metal Keel, fin, finish, repair, questions, questions Lester Evans Boat Building 1 April 23rd 06 04:00 PM
I'm ba aaaack! jlr ASA 191 March 2nd 06 09:03 PM
The Scheel Keel + ANTI VORTEX PANELS + Modifiying Keel Mic Cruising 1 September 23rd 05 03:29 AM
The future of yacht design - 10 myths scotched Frank ASA 0 June 28th 04 02:42 PM