posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default San Carlos Sailing Mexico

My wife Joanne and I are recently retired from nursing and teaching
respectfully. We have had powerboats in Alaska for decades and upon
retirement we decided we wanted a fairly large sailboat for coastal
cruising. We had bought a 26 ft. MacGregor Sailboat in 2005 and used it
on Kachemak Bay in Homer, Alaska where we live and still own and sail
that little boat there.

After a lot of research and sea trials, we bought a 1980 37 ft. Hunter
Sailboat from San Carlos Yachts ( by the way, Marisa and Charlie are
absolutely the greatest, hard working and honest.) We decided on a
sailboat because a similar size powerboat would cost us a fortune in
fuel consumption. Sailboats are slow but economical. Although we had
lot of experience with wind and tide under power, we knew we would need
instruction on the handling of sails. We are experienced with boating
under power in the harbor and on the open water. We engaged David
Baraff of the San Carlos Sailing School. He agreed to come aboard our
boat and provide us with instruction at a rate of $400 per day for 4
days. For $1600 we received 2 one half inch thick books.

We had hoped instruction would lead to "Basic Keelboat Sailing"
and "Coastal Cruising" certifications. Both of these courses are
part of the American Sailing Association or ASA curriculum. This did
not occur. At the time of instruction and even later, (view e-mails
below), David said we had passed the on water exercises and written
examination for Basic Keelboat Sailing (a prerequisite for taking
Coastal Cruising!!) We also passed the written exam for Coastal
Cruising and most of the on water exercises. He insisted on having us
finish the on water exercises in the afternoon when winds had built to
30 knots. We had suggested we do the on water demonstrations in the
morning but he refused and had us take the written portion of Coastal
Cruising instead, (which we passed by the way.) When we refused to go
out in the afternoon, he said our time was up and he was too busy to do
the demonstrations at another time. At that point, we told him to leave
our boat. He did leave only after we gave him $800 (we had previously
given him $800.)

After he left, we talked with fellow boat owners living in the harbor
like us. They were not going out sailing because it was blowing 30
knots. One couple in the boat next to ours have sailed to Hawaii and
Alaska and they said and I am paraphrasing, ' if you are caught out
in rough weather, you have to deal with it, however, it is prudent to
avoid it.'

Please read the following e-mails. We would still abide by ours. Mr.
Baraff just will not keep his word.

In a message dated 4/4/2006 9:18:31 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
writes:
David,
Charley Nobles called me and let me know you are rigidly standing to
your position.
I am getting tired of this nonsense and I am willing to compromise.
Joanne and I passed the Basic Keelboat written exam and demonstrated
the required skills. We expect this certification but NOT the Coastal
Cruising certification.
As a matter of good faith, I have taken down the body of our websites.
You can check
www.sancarlosmexicosailing.net and
www.sancarlossailingschoolbeware.net . I will leave the sites active
until I hear from you via e-mail. I will then remove them entirely, as
well as, any outside sites I have posted on. In addition, I will
contact Charley Nobles and let him know our dispute has been rectified
and I will ask him to withdraw our complaint.
Awaiting a reply.
Cordially,
Tom Byrnes
Tom
Consider it done
however, I wont be able to send in the paperwork until I go back to the
states
that will be soon, but cant say exactly when
they will then process it and get it out to you
thanks for your consideration

posted to alt.sailing.asa

FYI, you probably shouldn't post this to any more newsgroups. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

ups.com...

writes:
[...]

San Carlos Sailing Mexico [email protected] Cruising 5 September 5th 06 04:50 AM
Learning to sail the USA way. ARG ASA 82 March 23rd 06 01:10 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 April 4th 05 05:22 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 March 20th 05 05:32 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 February 19th 05 05:32 AM