posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default From fresh to sea water

The water washdown system on my swim platform currently uses fresh water as
does the cockpit washdown system. I was told that allowing the fresh tank
water to wash into inland waters is illegal but it is not illegal if I use
the inland or seawater. So I have three questions:

1. Is it illegal to allow fresh washdown water (from the tank) to drain
overboard?

2. Can I use the engine water intake also for the washdown system and switch
between fresh and seawater? Would I need an anti-siphon valve on the tank
line?

3. I'm tempted to just remove the wash down system on the swim platform
because it is in the way of the davits I'll be installing for the dinghy.
The swim platform is large and spacious enough that the dinghy does not
interfere with its great utility.

What would you do? Remove, alter or ignore?

Thanks and God Bless you all,

Bob Crantz