BoatBanter.com

-   -   Terms (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/73065-terms.html)

RogueIT August 19th 06 10:00 PM

Terms

I went sailing of a J22 for the first time today and am trying to learn
some of the terminology, but for the life of me I can't remember the
opposite of "gybe ho"

Prepare to gybe

Ready

Gybe Ho

what is the litany when you are on tack or tacking?
thanks,
Scott

Thom Stewart August 20th 06 02:28 AM

Terms

Scott,

On boat, when I had one was;

Ready a'bout
Ready
Helm a'lee

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

Scotty August 20th 06 02:29 AM

Terms

Well, if you're wearing an eye patch and have a parrot on
your shoulder you should yell, '' Aarrrrg prepare to come
about ya scurvy dogs''. Then '' come about, smartly, ya
bilge rats''.

Or you could use, ''ready about'', then ''coming about'' or
''helm's a lee''.

Scotty

ps.com...

[email protected] August 20th 06 03:09 AM

Terms

Hey Thom...

Back when I was kid in the early 50's learning how to sail on
small boats (simular to a Star class)... I thought the command
was:

"Ready about... hard to lee..!"

Of course a great many years have passed since I heard those type
of orders. :-)

Bill

Thom Stewart August 20th 06 05:32 AM

Terms

Bill,

There is a huge difference between helm's alee and hard alee. Hard Alee
mean the helm is hard against the stops while helms alee means just
enough to bring the bow across the wind without the rudder acting as a
break. Very important in Racing.

Bill, it's a point I won't argue. I'm just saying how I did it.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

Capt. JG August 20th 06 05:45 AM

Terms

We say... "umm" ... then we tack.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:28:18 -0700, (Thom Stewart)
scribbled thusly:

Scott,

On boat, when I had one was;

Ready a'bout
Ready
Helm a'lee

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

Yep, that's OK.
We mostly race and with a very close understanding of our situation
and tactics that borders on telepathy., the commands are often
something like
" What do you reckon?"
"Yep, let's go"
To which the helm is then pushed down.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Scout August 20th 06 12:03 PM

Terms

Thanks Thom,
I never heard that until I took a fellow from San Diego sailing with me. He
yelled it out as we were tacking so I asked him what the heck that meant. He
said he had no clue but had heard others belting it out. We laughed, but it
stuck so I've used it ever since.
Scout

John Cairns August 20th 06 03:48 PM

Terms

"RogueIT" wrote in message
ps.com...
I went sailing of a J22 for the first time today and am trying to learn
some of the terminology, but for the life of me I can't remember the
opposite of "gybe ho"

Prepare to gybe

Ready

Gybe Ho

what is the litany when you are on tack or tacking?
thanks,
Scott

The skipper used to say:

Ready about
Helm's alee.

The crew chief now says "tacking" instead of "helm's alee"

They will also mention to the crew that we are going to tack before the
sequence.

John Cairns

Scotty August 20th 06 03:58 PM

Terms

With my wife aboard I say,

''Honey , I'm going to tack soon'',
''Watch your head''
''Tacking!''

Scotty

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
We say... "umm" ... then we tack.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

OzOne wrote in message

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:28:18 -0700,

(Thom Stewart)
scribbled thusly:

Scott,

On boat, when I had one was;

Ready a'bout
Ready
Helm a'lee

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

Yep, that's OK.
We mostly race and with a very close understanding of

our situation
and tactics that borders on telepathy., the commands are

often
something like
" What do you reckon?"
"Yep, let's go"
To which the helm is then pushed down.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

I welcome you to crackerbox palace,We've been expecting

you.

Edgar August 20th 06 05:44 PM

Terms

I am surprised that after all those messages nobody has mentioned:-
'Ready about'
'Lee-oh'

Learned that many years ago and have used it all my life.

Edgar

"John Cairns" wrote in message
et...

ps.com...