BoatBanter.com

-   -   Hey "Capt" Rob ...have you ever? (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/71748-hey-capt-rob-have-you-ever.html)

Joe July 14th 06 04:55 PM

Hey "Capt" Rob ...have you ever?

Published that book you bragged so much about years ago?

Directed a movie that was not a total FLOP, that ruined the career of a
fine actor and lead to his early death?

Got a Captains licences?

Sailed out of the sight of land?

Ever sailed in Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March, April?

Ever entered a Regetta?

Ever spent 24 hours underway ?

Been published in a sailing magazine?

Had a boat more than a few brief seasons before discovering it junk and
buying another?

Capt. Joe

Capt. Rob July 14th 06 05:09 PM

Hey "Capt" Rob ...have you ever?

Published that book you bragged so much about years ago?

Shooting the pics for it now. Next week I'll be using the yards tow
boat to get some of the missing shots. The book is sold. I'm otherwise
keeping quiet about it...I want the full effect.

Directed a movie that was not a total FLOP, that ruined the career
of a
fine actor and lead to his early death?

James Dohan died an early death???? Oh nooooo!

Got a Captains licences?

Nope. Do I need one to daysail and cruise weekends?

Sailed out of the sight of land?

Nope....do I need to do that if I enjoy sailing locally?

Ever sailed in Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March, April?

Yep, we sailed the Catalina and Pearson in snow in fact. I also sailed
a J30 quite a bit in winter 8-9 years ago. It was cold.

Ever entered a Regetta?

Nope. I've raced locally on friends J24s. We even one once and came in
second a few other times. I can't say I enjoyed it much.

Ever spent 24 hours underway ?

Yep...aboard my buddy's Galaxy 32 (Tripp boat BTW).

Been published in a sailing magazine?

Nope. Never tried either.

Had a boat more than a few brief seasons before discovering it junk and

buying another?

Pearson 30 and C&C 32 and Catalina 27 are junk? Wow! Didn't Sailing
magazine recently name the Pearson 30 as one of the greatest boats of
all time? Yup, they did. Hey, and didn't the Beneteau 35s5 win boat of
the year at 2 major boat shows?? Sure did!
Hey, the P30 was even on the cover of a recent Cruising World....it
must be junk!

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/cwp30.jpg

Oh, Joe. Why not adopt?

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob July 14th 06 05:40 PM

Hey "Capt" Rob ...have you ever?

Dave wrote:
On 14 Jul 2006 09:09:57 -0700, "Capt. Rob" said:

Catalina 27 are junk?

Yep.

Dave, why don't you explain to all of us why the Catalina 27, one of
the most popular and well loved family sailors of all time, is junk.
Jack Horner and pretty much every other expert considers it to be an
excellent starter boat. My Cat 27 was a ton of fun and only cost me
5K!!! It had more room than your boat as well.
A guy who owns a boat with a 50% chance of blisters shouldn't throw
stones. My 1973 Catalina never had blisters and is still sailing today.

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. JG July 14th 06 06:31 PM

Hey "Capt" Rob ...have you ever?

We had a Cat 27 for years... Atomic 4 and everything. :-) While I wouldn't
classify it as junk, it was definitely basic. It was a good teaching boat,
with a wheel, no furler, and not much else.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Dave" wrote in message
On 14 Jul 2006 09:40:00 -0700, "Capt. Rob" said:

Dave, why don't you explain to all of us why the Catalina 27, one of
the most popular and well loved family sailors of all time, is junk.

I probably looked at 30 or more Cat 27s when I was looking. 80-90% had
delamination and wet deck core. Worse than that old P26 you're trying to
pedal. They were built to a price, and not bad as price boats. But they
were
not built to last.

Capt. Rob July 14th 06 06:32 PM

Hey "Capt" Rob ...have you ever?

I probably looked at 30 or more Cat 27s when I was looking. 80-90% had
delamination and wet deck core. Worse than that old P26 you're trying
pedal. They were built to a price, and not bad as price boats. But they
were
not built to last.

Dave, as someone who works with 3 surveyors on a regular basis let me
teach you a few things.

1) Most cored deck boats end up with delamination somewhere sooner or
later. I've seen Catalinas with a little or a lot. Even the higher end
boats have these problems if not caught right away...which is rarely
the case. Some boats are awful in this regard, such as Ericson and
Irwin. When you look at cheaper stuff, you have to deal with issues
like this...just like your low end boat had to be protected against
terrible blister problems. Then again, so did some Valiants.

2) Pearson 26 and Pearson 30s from the 70's and early 80's were very
good when it came to deck integrity. That P26 was previously sold and
surveyed and has a dry deck. If you'd like to bet on it, come on down
and we'll throw my GRP-33 on it. The boat is yours for 2K.

3) My Catalina 27 had wet core at the bow where a vent had been badly
installed. My C&C, Pearson and current Beneteau 99% dry. The Beneteau
is bone dry...not a drop anywhere and the ports don't leak either.
Every few months I test for possible water entry. It's good practice.

4) The Catalina 27 is and was a boat built for cheap thrills sailing.
Many 27's older than your boat are still sailing with few problems, so
clearly it DOES last. It's classic plastic, just like the Catalina 22,
Pearson 30 and J24, which your boat is not. The fact that the C27
didn't meet your criteria for being built to last is pretty funny,
given the CS27's horrible blister history. I would never buy a boat
with such a bad black mark against it. I might be stuck with it...while
I sold my other vessels for a profit.

RB
35s5
NY

Bob Crantz July 14th 06 06:53 PM

Hey "Capt" Rob ...have you ever?

That GRP-33 is waterlogged.

Toss it overboard.

Capt. Rob July 14th 06 07:05 PM

Hey "Capt" Rob ...have you ever?

4) The Catalina 27 is and was a boat built for cheap thrills sailing.

Yes. That's basically what I said.

Dave, you called the Catalina 27 "junk" which it is not. It never had a
50% blister rate problem and at least two have cirumnavigated.

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob July 14th 06 08:01 PM

Hey "Capt" Rob ...have you ever?

The deep draft keel. The specs say it's 5'2", but it's actually 5'6."
The
folks with the shallower draft report that those boats don't point as
well.

No!!! Say it isn't so!

Later boats had 4" deeper keels but the published specs

weren't changed.

Sounds like CS really had their **** together....it's not has though
draft is critical or anything. Why publish the exact number?

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob July 14th 06 08:03 PM

Hey "Capt" Rob ...have you ever?

Dave, you called the Catalina 27 "junk" which it is not.

Touch a tender nerve did we?

Yeah, Dave, that must be it. I'm all upset that you insulted a boat I
owned 9 years ago. Hey, Dave...I now own a boat that is faster and
better than yours in every way. You'll never own such a boat and she's
modest in most respects.

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob July 14th 06 08:48 PM

Hey "Capt" Rob ...have you ever?

Dave wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:59:33 -0400, Charlie Morgan said:

"cs 27" "race results" = 157 hits

"catalina 27" "race results" = 1180 results

Interesting, since about 6,600 Cat 27s were built vs. under 500 CS27s.

So 500 hulls (with more than 250 of them with blisters) is not enough
to go for a circumnavigation?
Or maybe it's the fact that the Catalina 27 has a capsize ratio better
than the CS27?
Hey, the 35s5 has just over 400 hulls and not the best capsize ratio,
yet two also circumnavigated. What gives with the CS27?

RB
35s5
NY