posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default The Sixth Sailor's Sense

"I see slow sailboats. They don't know they're slow."

Friday we waited until the sun was nearly down and things had cooled.
We set out for a short evening sail in what my instruments showed to be
9-12 knots. Once we cleared Hart Island, things freshened a bit. Also
out sailing was my buddy with a date aboard his Tayana 48DS, and a late
model Hunter 40 and Catalina 350, all from my club. The Tayana only had
the jib out, but when I passed him he rolled out the big main. Under my
main alone I could stay with his boat without a problem, but when I
popped my mylar 110% I passed him very quickly on a close reach, took
off across his bow and came back around to be in front again between
our club and Stepping Stone....circles around him quite literally.
By that point we caught up to the Catalina and H40, which were somewhat
behind us until we started screwing around. I'm friends with the owner
of the Cat 350 and I really like that boat...it sails nicely and really
has amazing deck and interior design. We really toasted him and he was
flying his pricey 140%. I know much of the 35s5 power is from the
main....but wow! I won't even bother with the Hunter...that tub was
badly trimmed anyway. It wasn't long before my buddy showed up in his
J30....a pretty fast and fun boat to be sure. His sails are all new and
while we were faster, it sure wasn't by much. This was the second time
we sailed tack-for-tack with him. What can I say? I wanted a boat fast
like his, but with far more comfort and luxury without going to 40 feet
plus. We sure got our cake and ate it too with this boat!
Now here's the odd part. Skies were pretty clear and Thomas was having
a blast pulling on lines, but I said to Suzanne that I thought he'd had
enough. We were no more than a few miles away, not far from Execution
Rocks. I got it into my head to drop the mainsail and run the diesel
back since it's really had no time on it since we got the boat. I found
myself taking the main down really fast and had an odd feeling I wanted
to get back. I motored back to our slip FAST and Suzanne was first to
notice that the sky had darkened.
I had just got the bowline on when the cold wind hit. It wasn't really
bad at all. Max winds below 30 knots I think, but the rain was cold and
heavy. Not pleasant and I was happy to have avoided it with Thomas
still getting his sea legs. The funny part was that the Tayana and
Catalina saw me motoring fast and assumed I knew something...and they
followed, also avoiding the little T-storm. Scaredy Cat sailors unite!
My friend on the J30 was less lucky and had a miserable sail home.
We sailed again Saturday and did a breakfast sail today (Sunday) with
friends...and somehow lost a baton in the process, but still cooking
along with a sweet Sweden 39. The 35s5 is really great...such an ideal
boat for the LIS...I can't get over how fun it is to sail and tweak.
This week we sail on the 4th, Wednesday and Friday for starters.
Suzanne has opted to race on a Catalina 36 on a few Thursdays, Thomas
and I will nightsail with friends those days...the summer is really
heating up for some fun!

RB
Beneteau 35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Swab Rob" wrote

Is that the phone "club" an Minneford's, or a real yacht

club?

Try a Korean sentence and I'll do my best to answer.

RB
KIA
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Should have read PHONEY yacht club at Minneford's.

Why is it phoney? We're the best place on the Island, nicest cleanest
and most expensive. We have events such as BBQs, and deals with
restaurants and vendors that others can't match. We also have proper
security which NONE of the other clubs have and even a couple of dock
bunnies. Places like CIYC and Harlem simply sucker in losers who want
to spend thier time at a bar instead of sailing, skiiing or fishing.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

Should have read PHONEY yacht club at Minneford's.

Why is it phoney? We're the best place on the Island, nicest cleanest
and most expensive. We have events such as BBQs, and deals with
restaurants and vendors that others can't match. We also have proper
security which NONE of the other clubs have and even a couple of dock
bunnies. Places like CIYC and Harlem simply sucker in losers who want
to spend thier time at a bar instead of sailing, skiiing or fishing.

RB
35s5
NY

Do they have child care/nursery?

That way the poor kid won't suffer a death sentence on the water without a
life jacket!

Leave the tyke ashore! Make certain your will and estate matters are
defined.

Leave him in the smoke filled bar. There is less danger!

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
Leave him in the smoke filled bar. There is less danger!

You can't smoke in NY bars.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Dave wrote:

Which reciprocity guide will I find Minneford's in, Rob? What will happen if
I call for a guest mooring?

Minneford's dock ape told me he could get me half-price on a transient
slip!

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Which reciprocity guide will I find Minneford's in, Rob? What will
happen if
I call for a guest mooring?

We monitor channel 77 or you can call the main office at 718-885-2000.

Guest mooring is 30 dollars for any boat up to 30 feet
Transient slip is 2.00 per foot per day with power/water
Dock for dinner (up to 3 hours) is 20 dollars
Local discounts are for members only.

I can accomodate vessels to 48 feet presently. If you come for a slip I
can get you a much lower rate.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

It's a marina that added a so-called yacht club so its customers could
free-load off the real yacht clubs that, among other things, extend
reciprocal privileges to members of other recognized clubs.

NMYC has been called that for quite a long time. We closed our club
house because it was not being used enough. The "marina" is actually
privately owned slips. We have a board and a voting comittee. We also
have more services available than any other club on the island by FAR.
There is nothing more upscale than NMYC on the island if you can afford
it. Yes, a slip for a 35 foot boat costs 4500.00 for the summer, but
it's still less than Capri which is over 6K and even nicer if you don't
mind sailing out of the hole.
Oh, and we give discounts to other club members and to BoatUS members.
NMYC gets more transient activity than any other club on the island.

RB
35s5
NY