posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Default Red Skelton's "Pledge Allegence"

Happy 1st Day of July & Happy 4th

I'm going to be gone over the 4th but I didn't want us to forget our
Nation's
BIRTHDAY!

I think Red (Bless his Heart) for me still says it better than anyone
before or since
__________________________________

As a schoolboy,
one of Red Skelton's teachers explained
the words and meaning of
the Pledge of Allegiance
to his class.
Skelton later wrote down,
and eventually recorded,
his recollection of this lecture.
It is followed by an observation of his own.

Me, an individual; a committee of one.

Pledge
Dedicate all of my worldly goods
to give without self-pity.

Allegiance
My love and my devotion.

To the Flag
Our standard; Old Glory,
a symbol of Freedom;
wherever she waves there is respect,
because your loyalty
has given her a dignity that shouts
" Freedom is everybody's job"

United
That means that we have all come together

States
Individual communities that have united
into forty-eight great states.
Forty-eight individual communities with
pride and dignity and purpose.
All divided with imaginary boundaries,
yet united to a common purpose,
and that is love for country.

And to the Republic
Republic--a state in which sovereign power
is invested in representatives
chosen by the people to govern.
And government is the people;
and it's from the people to the leaders
.... not from the leaders to the people.

For which it stands...

One Nation
One Nation--meaning, so blessed by God.
Indivisible
Incapable of being divided.

With Liberty
Which is Freedom;
the right of power to live one's own life
without threats, fear, or some sort of retaliation.

And Justice
The principle, or qualities
of dealing fairly with others.

For All
For All--which means, boys and girls,
it's as much your country as it is mine.
And now, boys and girls,
let me hear you recite the Pledge of Allegiance:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America,
and to the Republic, for which it stands;
one nation, indivisible,
with liberty and justice for all.

Since I was a small boy,
two states have been added to our country,
and two words have been added
to the Pledge of Allegiance:
Under God
Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said
that is a prayer,
and that would be eliminated from schools, too?
Red Skelton

God Bless America and a happy and sane 4th of July

Ol Thom

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I recommend The Rise of the Vulcans for some light reading over the 4th of
July weekend. It's about the history and background of Bush's war cabinet,
Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, Powell, Armitage, Wolfowitz, by James Mann. It has
lots of footnotes, for those who want even more information. It gives you a
good idea of what is patriotism and what isn't, among other things.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

I recommend reading "to Hell and Back" by Audie Murphy Originally
published in 1949.

It is the history of men who fought and died for this country. Texan
Audie Murphy was the most highly decorated G.I. of World War II, being
awarded almost every medal the Army could offer as well as the
Congressional Medal of Honor. His memoir of the war is a classic.
Desperate to see action but rejected by both the marines and
paratroopers because he was too short, Murphy eventually found a home
with the infantry. He fought through campaigns in Sicily, Italy,
France, and Germany. Although still under twenty-one years old on V-E
Day, he was credited with having killed, captured, or wounded 240
Germans.

It gives you a good ideal of what real patriotism is.

Joe

Capt. JG wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Good book. I recommend it also. If you want to know the nitty gritty about
todays "leaders," the book I mentioend is great. Fairly balanced and
objective.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

oups.com...

Capt. JG wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote:
Good book. I recommend it also. If you want to know the nitty gritty about
todays "leaders," the book I mentioend is great. Fairly balanced and
objective.

A post from Gaynz about "fair and balanced"? Now that's funny!

Bwahwwhaahwaahahaaaaaaaaaaa!

LP