posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Sailing the florida Big Bend

Someone in the thread about overcrowding on my 28' S2 asked about the
waters near Cedar Key and Steinhatchee.
These happen to be my home waters so I know them well (actually I am a
little to the west at Shell Pt near St. Marks.)
Forget going into Ocklocknee Bay, the channel is VERY winding and
variable and there is no place for a sailboat to go.
Panacea is possible with a very long channel. It is possible to dock
at a marina there but the little bay is too shallow.
Spring Creek is nearly impossible but worth it if you can do it. The
channel is shallow and winding and goes forever. Fresh water comes up
in several submarine springs that are the largests springs in the
world. If you can get into Spring Creek, it is very well protected and
you can find places to anchor. There are no detailed charts. There is
a private sorta marina but no diesel. The Spring Creek restaurant is
"Old Florida" with fresh local seafood.
Shell Point has a straight channel going into the beach but the channel
tower is hard to find. it is a 3 legged tower with a slow red flasher
about 1 mile NE of the Spring Creek entrance flasher. Once you reach
marker 10 (currently just a tiny buoy), you can go west about 200 yds
and either anchor just off the beach in deep water protected to the
south by an oyster bar or go east from #10 to follow markers into
canals. Currently no facilities.
St Marks is a good destination because it has deep water. From the sea
buoy follow the charts. You can anchor near the lighthouse at a place
called Spanish Hole in good weather or proceed upriver about 5 miles to
the town. At the town, the river splits into the St. marks and Wakulla
Rivers. Up the Wakulla short distance you can anchor in the river or
go to Shell Island Fish camp. The river is very clear and spring fed.
Up the St. Marks you can go to another marina or go furher up and
anchor. The old "Posey's Oyster Bar" in St. Marks where you use to be
able to tie up was destroyed in hurricane Dennis last year.
From St. Marks sea buoy to Steinhatchee is about 60 miles and you

cannot get closer than about 8 miles from shore due to shallow water.
At medium tide you can get in at Keaton Beach (about halfway) with a 4'
draft.
Steinhatchee is great, deep water too.
During a recent cruise, I fell in love with Cedar Key and kept my boat
there for 3 months. However, there is NO place for sailboats for long
term. I waited for high tide and dug a furrow across the bottom to get
into a slip and then sat on mud at low tide. I had to have three
people hanging on the shrouds to heel her enough to get in and out.
The waterfront at Cedar key is sorta touristy/rundown but the town
itself it wonderful and you can walk everywhere. We seemed to meet
most of the residents and all the island cats.

Coming in from the west, the channel winds back and forth so watch your
chart. You can anchor between Cedar key and Atsena Otie Key and then
dinghy in to shore. You will be protected from the south and north
with exposure from the west and some to the east. Shallow water will
protect you from most swells. One 30' sailboat had been anchored for
two months.
Leaving or entering the southern channel is much easier but watch the
charts. No matter how close you watch the markers, you will go aground
but its no big deal cuz its all mud.

The municipal dock is rundown and cannot really be used.

There is no diesel available on the island.

There is a grocery store in the town and it is about a 4 block walk
from shore.

My kids loved Cedar Key and want to go back.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher

On 13 Jun 2006 09:44:50 -0700, wrote:

Someone in the thread .....

The rest snipped

That was me. Thanks for the info. For perspective purposes, what
does your 28 S2 draw?

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Binary Bill

Gay Arts wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:45:20 -0400, katy wrote:

Gay Arts wrote:

A centerboard/keel is generally considered shoal draft. Shoal simply means
"shallow"

What insight!

How long did it take you to look that up?

Bbob

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

My boat has to large orange duck feet underneath.

American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 May 11th 06 05:21 AM
Learning to sail the USA way. ARG ASA 82 March 23rd 06 01:10 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 March 13th 06 05:27 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 February 26th 06 05:29 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 February 12th 06 05:26 AM