posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default Old Junker?

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...63212926tQFNwy

or knot?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
otnmbrd

Mebbe, mebbe knot.....would need some closer shots, including paperwork.

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...63212926tQFNwy

or knot?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

otnmbrd wrote:
Mebbe, mebbe knot.....would need some closer shots, including paperwork.

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...63212926tQFNwy

or knot?

Joe

hello Otnmbrd!

Long time no see.

It's a USN engraved Stackpole & Brother, Serial Number 337, made in
the mid 1800's.

The indez mirror is cracked.

The arc reads from 0 to + 110 degrees in 1 minute increments. The
silver vernier is left reading from 0 to 20 providing a reading
accuracy down to 3 arc seconds.

The case is original from a dealer in NY. I do not think it has ever
been polished.

I bought it at auction for next to nothing.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
otnmbrd

"Joe" wrote in
ups.com:

hello Otnmbrd!

Long time no see.

It's a USN engraved Stackpole & Brother, Serial Number 337, made in
the mid 1800's.

The indez mirror is cracked.

The arc reads from 0 to + 110 degrees in 1 minute increments. The
silver vernier is left reading from 0 to 20 providing a reading
accuracy down to 3 arc seconds.

The case is original from a dealer in NY. I do not think it has ever
been polished.

I bought it at auction for next to nothing.

Joe

I never heard of them, but that doesn't mean anything.
I would NOT try to polish or replace the index mirror.

otn
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Matt Colie

Joe,

What you have is an interesting piece.

If it was not much money - that is nice.

If you are asking should you take it to sea and count on the results?
I would have reservations.

I do not see any calibration table in the case.
Having a sextant is not the only requirement.
Are you already a celestial navigator?

Yes, the mirror can be replaced, but why.

If it were mine, I would get a plexi cover cut so it could be open and
not require dusting.

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Marine and Congenital Sailor

Joe wrote:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...63212926tQFNwy

or knot?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Matt Colie wrote:
Joe,

What you have is an interesting piece.

You have a good eye matt

If it was not much money - that is nice.

Paid 225.00 for it in 1994. Got lucky and found it in a dusty old
antique shop in Texas City. I also bought a Hamilton chronometer set in
gimbles in a box. But a friend who was a master of a drilling ship
talked me into selling it to him :0(. He is a good friend and still has
it :0).

If you are asking should you take it to sea and count on the results?
I would have reservations.

Me too. According to my research it is one of the earliest example of a
Sextant made in the USA, and the serial number is a double digit. I
think it may be worth much more than Bubbles Kia. Perhaps worth as much
as 3 of bubbles Kia's.

I do not see any calibration table in the case.

Yelp, long time gone ;0(

Having a sextant is not the only requirement.
Are you already a celestial navigator?

Yes.... received my Celestial endorsement in 1989. I have a Tamaya for
everyday use.

Yes, the mirror can be replaced, but why.

I agree and will leave it original including the patina.

If it were mine, I would get a plexi cover cut so it could be open and
not require dusting.

So drilling a hole thru it and making a desk lamp is a big no no
.....huh?

Joe wrote:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...63212926tQFNwy

or knot?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Bad news, Joe.
Unless your sextant can be traced with some accuracy to a notable
owner/ship, it has very little value. But even a sextant from a well
know ship rarely sells for more than 2-3K on the auction block. If you
have the history of the unit...owner, ship, usage...then you have
something that is special and better to keep than to sell.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Matt Colie

Joe wrote:
Matt Colie wrote:

Joe,

What you have is an interesting piece.

You have a good eye matt

If it was not much money - that is nice.

Paid 225.00 for it in 1994. Got lucky and found it in a dusty old
antique shop in Texas City. I also bought a Hamilton chronometer set in
gimbles in a box. But a friend who was a master of a drilling ship
talked me into selling it to him :0(. He is a good friend and still has
it :0).

All Hamilton chromoeters were in gimble boxs. Mine was my fathers and I
could not sell it - ever.

If you are asking should you take it to sea and count on the results?
I would have reservations.

Me too. According to my research it is one of the earliest example of a
Sextant made in the USA, and the serial number is a double digit. I
think it may be worth much more than Bubbles Kia. Perhaps worth as much
as 3 of bubbles Kia's.

Have you though to address this issue to one of the country's maritime
museums? Mystic Seaport and South Street Seaport come to mind because
I'm originally from the east coast, but there are many others. They
might like to have it, but never have any cash - so maybe you leave it
to them in your will.

I do not see any calibration table in the case.

Yelp, long time gone ;0(

Having a sextant is not the only requirement.
Are you already a celestial navigator?

Yes.... received my Celestial endorsement in 1989. I have a Tamaya for
everyday use.

Yes, the mirror can be replaced, but why.

I agree and will leave it original including the patina.

If it were mine, I would get a plexi cover cut so it could be open and
not require dusting.

So drilling a hole thru it and making a desk lamp is a big no no
....huh?

Does the phase - AAAYYAAHH - strike a cord?

Keep it in health and peace.
Matt