posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Default I'm impressed

Dave wrote:
I have an ancient autohelm 1000, probably built when the boat was in 1979.
It stopped working last weekend, so I sent it in to Raymarine for repair.
The day after they got it I got a call from the repair technician. He said
they no longer stock parts for such an old model. But he took it apart,
found a wire that needed to be soldered, made the repair, and said he'd
charge me a modest hourly repair charge. And he'd send it back by overnight
(my cost of course).

How many consumer electronics products do you get that kind of service on?

What kind of service is so impressive?

He fixed the thing and is charging you for it, plus
shipping. That *should* be the way business is conducted.

Goodness, is everybody so corrupted by the
throw-it-away-and-buy-a-new-one attitude that it's
"impressive" to actually have a service technician who
performs technical service??

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

DSK wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

Yes. We bought a new tv in Jan for the apt. and it went dead. I
sent in all the registration cards etc when we bought it. Emerson
refused to honor the warranty. Threw the thing out an bought a
Toshiba...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"katy" wrote in message
DSK wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

Why did they reject your warranty claim? For the record it is not necessary
to send in the reg. card at the time of purchase, but recommended. The
company must honor the warranty, card or no, as long as you have proof of
purchase.

You should file a complaint with your state's attny. general.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Maxprop wrote:
"katy" wrote in message
DSK wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

Becasue all we had was the credit card record and not the store
receipt....
posted to alt.sailing.asa
jlrogers

The store has the sales slip and has to send you a copy if requested. Just
send them the credit card info.
"katy" wrote in message
Maxprop wrote:
"katy" wrote in message
DSK wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

"katy" wrote in message
Maxprop wrote:
"katy" wrote in message
DSK wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

We called and they said "no"...Wally World..said they had no
responsibility after 80 days...it's all moot now...we threw it out
and bought a new one...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Emerson
refused to honor the warranty.

Emerson is the all time KING of lousy electronics. Sad because they are
a pretty old company. They haven't made a good product in 30 years.
Katy was the last to know.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Emerson
refused to honor the warranty.

Emerson is the all time KING of lousy electronics. Sad because they are
a pretty old company. They haven't made a good product in 30 years.
Katy was the last to know.

I'm pretty sure Emerson is strictly a marketing name, rather it doesn't make
anything but buys cheap electronics from little companies and markets them
under their name. I'm also sure the reason they won't honor a warranty is
that when a certain run of a particular electronic item is sold out, they
have nothing to offer the claimant.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Lady Pilot

"Capt. Rob" wrote:
Emerson
refused to honor the warranty.

Emerson is the all time KING of lousy electronics. Sad because they are
a pretty old company. They haven't made a good product in 30 years.
Katy was the last to know.

Oh my...what else would you expect, Bob?

katy knows next to nothing about a lot of subjects.

LP (owns 5 tv's, never an Emerson)

P.S. Sony and Panasonic are good choices

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

I have a soldering gun and a screwdriver.

Joe

suitably impressed - for harry. Bryan General 0 January 26th 06 05:29 AM
My first boat show Dene General 30 January 17th 06 04:05 AM
My first boat show Dene Cruising 8 January 16th 06 11:14 PM