posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default Bad Luck

"Scotty" wrote in message
Most boats are tied to their mooring by nylon line.

Nylon line saturated with salt and salt water. The dry part may be only a
few feet long which may have relatively low resistance. Plus there's a salt
water conduction path from the mooring bouy anchor chain to the grounding
plate on the boat. The grounding plate is usually tied to the mast.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
news
The mooring is tied to a conducting chain which is anchored into the
earth.

But the boat is insulated from the chain by a rope painter. Fresh water is
moderately conductive, but not nearly as much as brine. If you have a
ground "shoe" on the outside of the hull below the waterline, the current
will be directed through it into the water and then to the Earth.

A dock boat is usually tied with insulating lines to a wooden dock.

See above.

It's easier to pump excess charge by electrostatic induction to the moored
boat as the earth has virtually unlimited available charge and there is a
conduction path to the mast or boat. The docked boat can only redistribute
the charge available on the hull or polarize to the external field.

See above. Most boats are grounded to the water. Or they should be.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Scotty wrote:
Most boats are tied to their mooring by nylon line.

Yes, but under certain conditions, such as when shackles & thimbles are
used on the mooring line, it can conduct one heck of a charge.

It can also be a conductor if saturated with brine. But as a rule nylon
lines don't conduct much juice.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Edgar

Pointy bits attract lightning. therefore it is important to keep your head
well down and ensure that your butt is your highest point. Do not move
until all the storm has gone past. Obviously you must be in open ground and
not under a tree.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Don't lie down either. Crouch on the front part of your feet to reduce

your
connectivity profile with the ground.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

It's strange that every lightning strike I hear of at City Island is on
a mooring and never at a slip. Everyone I spoke to says this is just
luck since our marina is just 1/2 mile away from her mooring area.

On a mooring a boat is a solitary object with a metal 'lightning rod'
protruding into the air above. When the charge in the sky attempts to
find a route of least resistance to the opposing charge on the Earth a
solitary mast is serendipitous. At the dock there are many masts
protruding upward, but there are also land-based objects nearby which
probably offer as favorable an opportunity to equalize those charges as
the masts.

The principle is the same for golfers--don't stand alone in the open

with
a 9-iron over held aloft over your head in the thunderstorm unless

meeting
your makers is chief on your list of things to do. Stay in the

proximity
of trees, which will take the strike most likely.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Martin Baxter

Maxprop wrote:

The principle is the same for golfers--don't stand alone in the open with a
9-iron over held aloft over your head in the thunderstorm unless meeting
your makers is chief on your list of things to do.

Nah, you reach into your bag and hold up 1 iron, not even God can hit a
1 iron.

Cheers
Marty

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Nutsy,

I'm really not sure that its luck.

Far be it for me to act as an expert on lightening but I've made the
same observation. Not sure that the amount of mast disperses the charge,
where as a single mast sticking up draws the charge. Who knows? Not me.

I've seen the same thing happen when I was in a Raft-up and the boat
coming to join us was the one hit

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

http://www.allteccorp.com/products/l...rotection.html

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Edgar" wrote in message
Pointy bits attract lightning. therefore it is important to keep your head
well down and ensure that your butt is your highest point. Do not move
until all the storm has gone past. Obviously you must be in open ground
and
not under a tree.

Being under a tree would be foolhardy, but being on open ground is equally
so. Get within 20 meters of trees or buildings to be safe. On open ground
you are the highest object around and therefore the most direct path for
charged particles to take to neutralize themselves with their opposing
charges in the Earth. Fact: most sky/ground lightning originates from the
ground up, so the highest object becomes the most likely conductor.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Bob,

Reading Alltec write up; they say "Helps prevent------" I don't see
prevents anywhere or do I see any concert comparison to number of
strikes for protected against unprotected.

I've heard a lot of comparison between used car salesmen and lightning
rod salesmen!

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage