posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ringmaster

Default Say a prayer

Say a prayer for the family of Hans Horrevoets, 32, of The Netherlands.
He was a crew member aboard ABN AMRO TWO, one of the yachts competing
in the Volvo Ocean Race. He died earlier this morning after failing to
regain consciousness after being swept overboard from the boat. Sad
way to go when competing at the top of the game. I guess he wasn't
wearing a saftey line. Don't know why since it happened in the middle
of the night.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Read about it here....very sad indeed.

http://tinyurl.com/ls3yh

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

No safety line, no PFD, and you're probably dead on the ocean in other than
the most benign conditions.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Ringmaster" wrote in message
oups.com...
Say a prayer for the family of Hans Horrevoets, 32, of The Netherlands.
He was a crew member aboard ABN AMRO TWO, one of the yachts competing
in the Volvo Ocean Race. He died earlier this morning after failing to
regain consciousness after being swept overboard from the boat. Sad
way to go when competing at the top of the game. I guess he wasn't
wearing a saftey line. Don't know why since it happened in the middle
of the night.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Ringmaster wrote:

Say a prayer for the family of Hans Horrevoets, 32, of The Netherlands.
He was a crew member aboard ABN AMRO TWO, one of the yachts competing
in the Volvo Ocean Race. He died earlier this morning after failing to
regain consciousness after being swept overboard from the boat. Sad
way to go when competing at the top of the game. I guess he wasn't
wearing a saftey line. Don't know why since it happened in the middle
of the night.

A tragedy for the man's family & for the team... at 32 he
still had a heck of a lot of good years ahead. OTOH he died
doing what he really loved (a trite saying but true).

I also wonder about the safety line/harness issue but I bet
the story will be fully covered in the sailing press. This
disaster will cast a shadow on AMBRO's wonderful sailing
record up to now.

Sadly- Doug King