BoatBanter.com

-   -   New Dinghy (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/69533-new-dinghy.html)

Maxprop May 11th 06 05:51 PM

New Dinghy

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
My running mates and I would leave you pretty far behind. Training for
half-marathon (two years ago) we averaged 6.5 to 7 minute miles--not
too
shabby for a bunch of old farts. Now we just run for conditioning, but
we
still average sub-8 miles.

Once again you failed to research anything, Maxi. Anyone can run fast,
but if your simply running for conditioning you're better off with less
sustained impact via slower miles.

Impact? Do you even know how to run? Technique is everything, Bubbles.
Obviously you are just a duffer who might be better off on a treadmill with
cushioning. Or perhaps on that couch watching Teletubbies with Thomas.

A sprint will get your HR up without
damage to knees and ankles. If you run the way I do, you can do it for
a long time and keep in better shape than with biking in most cases.

If you run *properly* the impact to the lower extremities is minimized if
not eliminated. Once again you've claimed knowledge in an area where you
obviously are an amateur.

By the way, a marathon is 26 miles and up.

Actually it's 26.2 miles exactly.

Anything less is a run. Half
marathon is a term for halfwits.

In your dreams. You couldn't run a half-marathon if your life depended upon
it. I've seen your photos. BTW, half marathons are now more popular, if
less publicized, than marathons. Neither my running mates nor I have the
time, the desire, nor the dedication to train for marathons. We now run an
occasional 10K--I suppose you're going to contend that 10Ks are for
quarter-wits.

Max

Maxprop May 11th 06 05:54 PM

New Dinghy

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On 11 May 2006 06:00:21 -0700, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

My running mates and I would leave you pretty far behind. Training for
half-marathon (two years ago) we averaged 6.5 to 7 minute miles--not
too
shabby for a bunch of old farts. Now we just run for conditioning, but
we
still average sub-8 miles.

Once again you failed to research anything, Maxi. Anyone can run fast,
but if your simply running for conditioning you're better off with less
sustained impact via slower miles.

Those speeds are very respectable for the given age but not
necessarily fast. If sub 8 is a conversational pace it is the correct
pace for distance training. depends on the individual. And no,
"anyone" cannot necessarily run fast.

A sprint will get your HR up without
damage to knees and ankles.

For conditioning it is heart rate over time that matters. Occaisonal
short sprints don't do it, but are better than nothing. You need
intervals or tempo runs alternating with conversational distance. At
59, I run thirty miles a week with a long run of 6.3 miles, a day off,
and a day of 440 intervals (which I hate, but are necessary so I won't
be embarrassed in competition). My ankles and knees are holding up
fine. I run most miles on trails rather than pavement in support of
those knees.

If you run the way I do, you can do it for
a long time and keep in better shape than with biking in most cases.

Not necessarily. Biking is still heart rate over time and working the
muscles. But the way you run is fine.

By the way, a marathon is 26 miles and up. Anything less is a run.
Half
marathon is a term for halfwits.

What an idiotic statement!

Frank,
Who can shut down Bobsprit at any distance!

And:

Martha Stewart
Oprah Winfrey
my grandmother
your grandmother
everyone's grandmother
my 2 and 4 y.o. grandchildren
my dog
your dog
anyone's dog
gerbils
mice
spiders
ants
amoeba

Maxprop May 11th 06 05:57 PM

New Dinghy

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

I run slow, Maxi. 9-10 minute miles...and easy jog to keep my legs
strong and my heart working properly. I genereally build to a full run
in the last 1/4 and sprint the last. I also train with light weights,
high reps. I'm off today, but tomorrow I'll do another short run.

My running mates and I would leave you pretty far behind. Training for a
half-marathon (two years ago) we averaged 6.5 to 7 minute miles--not too
shabby for a bunch of old farts. Now we just run for conditioning, but
we still average sub-8 miles. I've been gradually switching to bicycling
over the past year or so, thanks to aging knees. Less impact. I also
rollerblade--I won three criteriums (criteria?) last year in my age
group--over 45.

Max

You won 3 crits. Are you racing USCF? Usually the guys that still race
over 45 are very good, pretty much untouchable by guys just entering the
sport (cycling). Or are those rollerblade crits?

Rollerblade crits. However I used to be a USCF Cat 2 in my days in
Colorado. I never had the time or the money then to devote to the sport.

Ever ride the Morgul-Bismark?

Max

Bob Crantz May 11th 06 06:08 PM

New Dinghy

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

I run slow, Maxi. 9-10 minute miles...and easy jog to keep my legs
strong and my heart working properly. I genereally build to a full run
in the last 1/4 and sprint the last. I also train with light weights,
high reps. I'm off today, but tomorrow I'll do another short run.

My running mates and I would leave you pretty far behind. Training for
a half-marathon (two years ago) we averaged 6.5 to 7 minute miles--not
too shabby for a bunch of old farts. Now we just run for conditioning,
but we still average sub-8 miles. I've been gradually switching to
bicycling over the past year or so, thanks to aging knees. Less impact.
I also rollerblade--I won three criteriums (criteria?) last year in my
age group--over 45.

Max

You won 3 crits. Are you racing USCF? Usually the guys that still race
over 45 are very good, pretty much untouchable by guys just entering the
sport (cycling). Or are those rollerblade crits?

Rollerblade crits. However I used to be a USCF Cat 2 in my days in
Colorado. I never had the time or the money then to devote to the sport.

Ever ride the Morgul-Bismark?

Rollerblade crits = Roller Derby

I raced the Morgul Bismark the last year it was run. I rode USCF Cat 4.

Ever do the Bob Cook or the Iron Horse?

Glory!

katy May 11th 06 06:15 PM

New Dinghy

Maxprop wrote:
[...]

You forgot algae.....

Frank Boettcher May 11th 06 07:59 PM

New Dinghy

Neither my running mates nor I have the
time, the desire, nor the dedication to train for marathons.

I understand that one. I toyed with the idea briefly this year. But
I only wanted to run one if I could qualify for Boston. There is
actually a qualifying marathon in my little town. fairly flat course,
but even though the start is at 5:00 AM it would be very hot last
half. Race is in September.

I would need 4hrs plus 59sec and could qualify for Boston '07 as a
sixty year old. That's about a 9:12 pace. I run much faster than
that at the 5 & 10K distance but 26.2 miles is something else indeed.
The amount of time I would have to put in to train up to it is just
way more than I'm willing to do.

Frank

Max

Frank May 11th 06 08:40 PM

New Dinghy

Just for fun, let me interrupt here to recommend the Frank Maier
Marathon in Juneau, Alaska. I know nothing about it except that I like
the name. grin

Sincerely,

Frank Maier (*not* a marathonner)

Frank Boettcher May 11th 06 09:57 PM

New Dinghy

On 11 May 2006 12:40:39 -0700, "Frank" wrote:

Just for fun, let me interrupt here to recommend the Frank Maier
Marathon in Juneau, Alaska. I know nothing about it except that I like
the name. grin

Sincerely,

Frank Maier (*not* a marathonner)

Hey, I might change my mind. Of course I'll need a sponsor. I'm
going to have to train in the area though, maybe 8-10 weeks this
summer, room and board. Crowds not good, maybe need to go to one of
those remote fishing camps. Going to need a combination
trainer/fishing guide/cook. And a bush pilot to fly me back and
forth.

Frank

Ringmaster May 11th 06 10:08 PM

New Dinghy

Isn't it amazing how Bubbles has the perfect life: the perfect
wife, the
perfect child, the perfect boat, the perfect cameras, the perfect
automobiles, the perfect TV and associated electronics, and now he's
the
most fit and healthy individual here?

Everything is perfect in the Matrix. Or maybe the Boob lives in a
parallel universe where everything is 180 deg. out from the real world.
That would explain why we see his boat as a joke, his wife as a skank,
his kid as ......... well who would post pictures of their kid on the
internet these days, his TV as the cheap projector means to a big
picture, his home theater with Carver speakers as laughable and his
fitness program as a lie. I mean come on ........... we've seen his
photos.

Scotty May 11th 06 10:38 PM

New Dinghy

I corrected your spelling.

"Capt.Mooron" wrote
Let's face it... the man is a ticking time bomb... a

waddling heart attack

CM-