posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default Rumsfeld is McManara

http://www.americandaily.com/article/7777

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Vito

"Bob Crantz" wrote
http://www.americandaily.com/article/7777

That's a song I have been singing ever since Rumsfield ignored the generals and
only sent 1/3 as many men as they'd said were needed - not just to defeat Saddam
but to secure the country afterward. As a result we saw massive chaos and
looting of everything from banks and museums to armories and ammo dumps, and now
our troops are paying a dear price. Fact is that Rummy, like McNamara, is a
very poor manager. They hire experts then micro-manage them and ignore their
expertise. Remember 9/11? US fighters will only shoot down civilian aircraft
if ordered to do so via the chain of command - this to keep "spoofers" from
issueing false orders. As VP, Cheney issued such an order on 9/11 but it never
got to the pilots. Seems the next man in the chain, Rummy, was out on the
Pentagon lawn directing firefighters (ie, getting in their way), too distracted
to do HIS job! And this is the dude running the fight on terror?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

"Bob Crantz" wrote

Vito wrote:
That's a song I have been singing ever since Rumsfield ignored the generals and
only sent 1/3 as many men as they'd said were needed - not just to defeat Saddam
but to secure the country afterward.

The Rumsfeld-Wolfowitz bunch were saying that there wouldn't
be any need to secure the country, no occupation, no
instability.

... As a result we saw massive chaos and
looting of everything from banks and museums to armories and ammo dumps, and now
our troops are paying a dear price. Fact is that Rummy, like McNamara, is a
very poor manager.

He seems to have done fairly well for himself as an
international arms dealer.

... Remember 9/11? US fighters will only shoot down civilian aircraft
if ordered to do so via the chain of command - this to keep "spoofers" from
issueing false orders. As VP, Cheney issued such an order on 9/11 but it never
got to the pilots.

Which was an illegal order, BTW. For a long time they were
denying that any such orders were given.

.... Seems the next man in the chain, Rummy, was out on the
Pentagon lawn directing firefighters (ie, getting in their way), too distracted
to do HIS job! And this is the dude running the fight on terror?

Remember the primary job of this country's high political
officeholders is to funnel money towards those who helped
them get their office. The Bush Administration is doing
magnificently at that... best in all history, for that matter.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Actually, the *only* thing I like about Rummy is that he had to be dragged
off the scene at the Pentagon. I dislike him in general, but he did the
right thing there.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Vito" wrote in message
"Bob Crantz" wrote
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Vito

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Actually, the *only* thing I like about Rummy is that he had to be dragged
off the scene at the Pentagon. I dislike him in general, but he did the
right thing there.

No, he did not! He should have been at his desk or command station
giving/passing orders to the military, not out on the lawn bothering the
responders.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Vito" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Actually, the *only* thing I like about Rummy is that he had to be
dragged
off the scene at the Pentagon. I dislike him in general, but he did the
right thing there.

No, he did not! He should have been at his desk or command station
giving/passing orders to the military, not out on the lawn bothering the
responders.

He was operating the lawn sprinkler system while Bush was aloft in the
command center making sure the ping pong table was secured.

Glory!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Well, he might not have done the right thing as far as thinking goes, but
his instincts were good. What would you have done... run from the scene or
tried to help? He had to be dragged away. I am the last person to defend
him, but even a dog sometimes has his day.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Vito" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Actually, the *only* thing I like about Rummy is that he had to be
dragged
off the scene at the Pentagon. I dislike him in general, but he did the
right thing there.

No, he did not! He should have been at his desk or command station
giving/passing orders to the military, not out on the lawn bothering the
responders.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Peter Wiley

So, Jon, I take it that you support a ship captain personally taking
charge of a fire hose and trying to put out flames, rather than
managing the overall situation?

PDW

In article , Capt. JG
wrote:

Well, he might not have done the right thing as far as thinking goes, but
his instincts were good. What would you have done... run from the scene or
tried to help? He had to be dragged away. I am the last person to defend
him, but even a dog sometimes has his day.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Vito

"Capt. JG" wrote ...
Well, he might not have done the right thing as far as thinking goes, but
his instincts were good. What would you have done...

Instincts of a cowboy are not good qualities for a Secretary of Defense. I
would have stayed in my office or gone to the command center, as appropriate, to
best do MY job of gathering data and making command decisions in a situation
that could have been the prelude to WW-3. The firemen are better trained to do
their job than I (or Rummy) so I would have done mine rather than interfere with
theirs'.

Rummy's "instincts" are the reason we are in trouble in Iraq. Leaving the
question of whether we should have attacked Saddam aside, once the decision was
made to seek a military solution to the perceived problem then the experts in
applying those solutions - the senior military officers - should have been left
alone to get the job done. But no! Rummy, an amateur, had to micromanage them
just like he did the firemen - just like McNamara did in Vietnam. So guess
what, one of the kids from my county got blown up over there - not in combat but
in the mess hall - by a gawdam bomb the guys who whipped Saddam had to leave
unguarded. Him and 2000 more ....... And the reason all those explosives had to
be left unguarded is that Rummy didn't listen to the generals but instead
followed his amateur instincts.