Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default NE Winds, East Winds, and South Winds

Strange winds today. Generally from the NE, but
we had an inexplicable shift to the East, followed
by a switch back to the North--which repeated a
few times. Later things went right around to the
South. Things were generally light 3-8 knots.

I notice the clouds seemed to be moving South,
but later there was also a slightly lower layer of
clouds moving slowly north. It must have been some
sort of rotor effect like I've seen near high bluffs in the
past. The South winds I can explain by an onshore
breeze due to the warming effects of the sun. I have
no idea when the East winds filled it. These were the
strongest winds we saw.

Nearly all the clouds were over land and seemed to be
having trouble making it over the water, while the density
of the clouds seemed to increase over land as the day went
on--this sort of thing happens often.