posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default Make and Mend

What shipboard day of the week is the traditional
"make and mend" day?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

Any weekday.

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message
What shipboard day of the week is the traditional
"make and mend" day?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

You narrowed it down some. 1/5 point.

"Scotty" wrote

Any weekday.

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote

What shipboard day of the week is the traditional
"make and mend" day?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

Make and mend; Half day during working week that was
originally set aside to repair and replace kit, it is now an
opportunity for recreation

From;
http://www.cadets.forces.gc.ca/seaca...s-ressources/p
hase3/1_e.asp

Scotty

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message
You narrowed it down some. 1/5 point.

"Scotty" wrote

Any weekday.

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote

What shipboard day of the week is the traditional
"make and mend" day?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

Make and Mend – Originally, a half-day off from normal ship’
s work to make and/or mend clothing.

from;
http://www.btinternet.com/~a.c.walto...-faq/slang1.ht

Scotty

http://www.btinternet.com/~a.c.walto...-faq/slang1.ht
"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message
You narrowed it down some. 1/5 point.

"Scotty" wrote

Any weekday.

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote

What shipboard day of the week is the traditional
"make and mend" day?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Bart Senior wrote:
What shipboard day of the week is the traditional
"make and mend" day?

Sunday. After religious services, the crew was given the day
off (except for standing watches) but was expected to use
the time to 'make and mend' their clothes & uniforms.

Now for a bonus, what was a 'Ropeyarn Sunday?"

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

DSK Wrote....

Sunday. After religious services, the crew prayed that their wives
would not force sailors into owning trawlers.
Sadly, this was even more proof that god was little more than a silly
myth.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Sunday. After religious services, the crew was given the day off (except
for standing watches) but was expected to use the time to 'make and mend'
their clothes & uniforms.

Bart Senior wrote:
Incorrect.

On the day or on the meaning of 'make and mend?'

Now for a bonus, what was a 'Ropeyarn Sunday?"

You should know this one Bart, I'm sure it's in the
Aubrey/Maturin series.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

I don't know if there is an answer to this one. I'll give
myself a lash for calling your answer incorrect.

I thought the traditional day of the week for make and
mend was Thursday (picked up in Patrick O'Brian's
books. I'm guessing this was to get the ship spruced up
for Sunday's inspection.

One source listed it as: Originally, a half-day off from
normal ship's work to make and/or mend clothing.
http://www.hazegray.org/faq/slang1.htm

I did a search on "Ropeyarn Sunday" ( I did not know
that one) and one source stated it occured on Wednesdays
but more typically, it was listed as a normal workday where
crew are given time off to repair clothing or other personal
business.
http://www.quarterdeck.org/Terminolo...ology_lz.htm#R

"DSK" wrote