posted to alt.sailing.asa
G&G

Default How many of you?

Have actually sailed on a tall ship?
Abby

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

I've sailed on the Elissa out of Galveston.
http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/MoreImages7/Fi...ShipElissa.jpg
She's a fine steel hull BW

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

I've toured many tall ships, but never sailed on one that
was ship rigged, with a square style spar. I do enjoy
studying the subject--it my favorite historical period.

I have sailed on a number of large schooners--to 138 feet.

The dynamic is quite different compared to smaller boats
with smaller crews.

Most of Tall Ships are so expensive they pay their crews
little--food, sea-time and pitantance wages, and bill every
potential passenger whatever they can get--just to meet
expenses, and still find themselves in the red.

Infortunately, you need a 500 ton license or greater to be
a deck officer. Most Captains and Mates hold 1600 ton
licenses. I'm not sure why that is the criteria given that much
of the sea time these crew have is on ferry's and tugs--hardly
the sort of quality sea-time one would want on a tall ship.

But there it is. Want a ride? Pay for it and be treated like
a swab.

"G&G" wrote \
Have actually sailed on a tall ship?
Abby

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Been on, but never sailed on.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Been on, but never sailed on.

Me too... The Star of India. One of the oldest.

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Hey, I almost got run over by that boat in San Diego... long story involving
a skipper who was listening to "voices" in his head.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
ups.com...

Been on, but never sailed on.

Me too... The Star of India. One of the oldest.

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa

...got run over by that boat in San Diego...

Yep... that is where the Star of India is berthed and
has been for many years.

...long story involving a skipper who was...

Okay Jonathan... let's hear your "sea story".

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Isn't that down in San Diego? I've been on that
one. Very pretty. I enjoyed touring it. I thought
it stayed in it's berth. When were you on it under
sail? Do they still take her out?

wrote

Been on, but never sailed on.

Me too... The Star of India. One of the oldest.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

"G&G" wrote
Have actually sailed on a tall ship?
Abby

Pride of Baltimore, Maryland Dove, Pride 2.

Bart Senior wrote:
I've toured many tall ships, but never sailed on one that
was ship rigged, with a square style spar. I do enjoy
studying the subject--it my favorite historical period.

Do you have a copy of Darcy Lever's "Young Sea Officer's
Sheet Anchor?" Great book, explains many aspects of sailing
a square rig as well as all the parts & terminology. It even
tells how to set up masts & tune the rig.

I have sailed on a number of large schooners--to 138 feet.

I'd call that a tall ship. Gaff riggers are a different animal.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

"DSK" wrote
Do you have a copy of Darcy Lever's "Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor?"
Great book, explains many aspects of sailing a square rig as well as all
the parts & terminology. It even tells how to set up masts & tune the rig.

I have it. I should pull it out and re-read it. As I recall is
was a bit dry reading. It is not up to modern standards on
illustration, writing style, and terminology. I found some parts
difficult to understand because I was unfamiliar with some of
the arcane terminology.