posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default Manly Virtues

For those men who lack manliness:

http://www.chivalrynow.net/book/Outline.doc

Outline: Chivalry - The Cult of Male Virtue

The Introduction begins with the question: What does it mean to be a man? It
then describes much of our present day situation, where time-honored values
associated with the male gender have been lost or degraded over the last
century.

(Note: Many of the following chapters begin with short medieval anecdotes
meant to illustrate their relevant topic. The ongoing tale is about a young
knight, Sir Erec, and how chivalry was reflected in his life. The following
descriptions represent the main content of the chapters which follow these
anecdotes.

Chapter 1 - The Making of a Knight Errant

This chapter introduces some of the background of how young men were
inducted into knighthood. It also exposes how few rights-of-passage males
have today, and how that impacts society as a whole. The importance of
individuality is discussed. No male ethic should force men to be other than
who they are. But who are they? The purpose of youth is to prepare oneself
for the future. This includes not only education and skill development, but
personal outlook as well.

Chapter 2 - Protecting the Weak

There is a time-honored purpose to male strength, and that is using it to
protect others. How does this apply in an age where it is politically
incorrect to imply that someone else is weak or defenseless? The truth is we
are all weak and defenseless sometime in our lives. The chapter describes a
heroic boy the author once knew. It goes on to discuss issues about
patriotism.

Chapter 3 - Honoring All Women

Thanks to the work of John Gray and Deborah Tannen, it is acceptable to
acknowledge gender differences today without being accused of being a
sexist. This helps men to socially define themselves in such a way as to
create harmonious relationships between the sexes. But there is more to
honoring all women than cooperative relationships. There is the recognition
that the feminine principles represent life, and that masculine traditions
have to serve in a supporting role - not the other way around. We are
equals, but it is the nature of things to honor and support feminine values
for the sake of our species. It is right to show this relationship through
courtesy that does indeed differentiate between the genders.

Chapter 4 - Defending the Good

The core of masculine virtues is to defend what is good. To understand this,
we need a clear understanding of what goodness is. Is there a definition
that transcends personal opinion? Or is goodness relative - different for
everyone? Individuality preserves itself not by following someone else's
values, but by discovering truth and goodness first-hand. This is what
living is all about. Interjected here is a listing of the author's own
beliefs, with the proviso that the reader must develop his or her own
understanding of the world.

Chapter 5 - The Meting Out of Justice

We cannot apply justice like knights of old. We are not vigilantes. But
justice is more than a system that administers punishment. It is something
that should be infused in everything we do. We have to be more conscious of
its role in our everyday existence. Treating people fairly is a way of life
that requires courtesy, truth and the ability to admit when one is wrong and
to make recompense. The chapter goes on to discuss how politics has lost its
idealism. To apply justice in our lives, we must hold politicians
accountable through our own involvement. Greed is the most prevailing threat
we have to justice, and yet we gingerly try to balance them both.

Chapter 6 - Romantic Love

Romantic love has its roots in chivalry and medieval literature.
Unfortunately, we have become disconnected from the requirements that make
it real. Chivalry helps repair that by defining what romantic love really
is, a relationship built on commitment that recognizes and honors the
mystery of existence found within the one we love. Love is a religious
impulse that expresses itself in the secular world. It's benefits and
pleasures come not from being loved by someone else, but in the direct
experience of loving that other person. Its inspiration provides an
opportunity for personal growth. Failing to understand what romantic love
is,and what it requires sets us up for disappointment.

Chapter 7 - Humility

Does humility have a place in a world where pop-psychology insists on
telling us that we must love ourselves first? Or is it more of an imperative
today just for that reason? Chivalry tells us that humility is a basic
requirement to all other virtues. It is not about self-denigration. It's
about placing hubris aside and seeing things as they really are. This
chapter describes two men who had significant influence over the author's
life who exemplify humility. It also differentiates between ego-pride and
human-pride.

Chapter 8 - Loyalty

Loyalty is a virtue that needs to be resurrected in a world where business,
political and religious leaders often betray us. The lure of capitalism
often makes this difficult. Capitalism needs to be viewed as an economic
system rather than a national philosophy. While loyalty to people can
sometimes be misplaced, loyalty to ideals gives us character and makes us
strong.

Chapter 9 - The Knight and his Sword

This chapter describes what sort of man embraces knight-errantry. It also
discusses the sword as a potent symbol of male virtues, and the author's own
experience of having a sword. It ends with a list of requirements that help
define what being a man is all about.

Chapter 10 - Religion and the Knight Errant

In medieval times, chivalry and religion were often intertwined. What does
that mean for today's chivalry? Will an updated version still benefit men of
faith? What of those who are not religious, or follow a religion other than
Christianity? Is religion divisive? Does it pose a threat?

Chapter 11 - King Arthur's Knights

An introduction to the characters of Arthurian literature who best exemplify
chivalry, and what we can learn from them. The knights are surprisingly
human. They are not perfect - and therein lies their appeal and inspiration.
One need not be perfect to be a good person. The best we can do is strive to
do the right thing. Sir Lancelot's flaw was his love for the queen. It led
to a lot of trouble, but would we have him any other way? He retains his
status as Arthur's greatest knight, not only because of his great deeds, but
because of his struggle to do the right thing while being true to himself.
This struggle exemplifies what western civilization is all about - the
tension and balance between freedom and responsibility.

Chapter 12 - The Holy Grail

The Holy Grail was a important symbol to the medieval knight. Thought of as
the cup from the Last Supper, it represents far more than just a missing
relic. It represents the mystery of existence, and how we need to integrate
that mystery into our lives.

Chapter 13 - That Special Lady

A personal note about the intimacy that love can foster. How chivalry helps
us become the kind of man and partner a woman will appreciate.

Epilogue

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bluto

It seems that Kaysails has a better grasp of manly virtue than most of
the "men" here.

Aaahahahahahahahahahaaaahaaaahahahaahahahahahhhhaa aahaahaahaaahaaaa!!!!

Bluto

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Bluto" wrote in message
ups.com...
It seems that Kaysails has a better grasp of manly virtue than most of
the "men" here.

Aaahahahahahahahahahaaaahaaaahahahaahahahahahhhhaa aahaahaahaaahaaaa!!!!

I think she's a better man than thou, Neal.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Lady Pilot

"Maxprop" wrote:

"Bluto" wrote:
It seems that Kaysails has a better grasp of manly virtue than most of
the "men" here.

Aaahahahahahahahahahaaaahaaaahahahaahahahahahhhhaa aahaahaahaaahaaaa!!!!

I think she's a better man than thou, Neal.

Oh no, Max! I'm feeling neglected now...I thought I was the "man".

Btw, this ain't Neal

LP