posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default Winch selection - difference in results from Harken, Lewmar and Andersen.

Most likely they were made to good, and forced out by cheap labor.
Great winches. And the handles make anything made today look like junk.

My anchor windless was made in 1901 its a Navy #1. It's one man power
unless you can fit two on the rachet bar.
It's indestructable

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Bart Senior wrote:
I have some cool winches I pulled off my Etchells.

They have the handle on the bottom that is removable,
but can be left in place as the handles do not get in
the way on the bottom.

Hmm... I remember bottom-crank winches but mostly thought
they were a PITA. Maybe there's one good thing about them!

A problem I had is that they can't be cranked thru a very
wide arc. You have to take short strokes and they are slow.

Your winches look a bit newer & more modern than the
bottom-crankers I've used. These must be from the mid or
late '60s, I'm guessing. The ones I'm familiar with have
handles shaped like a Tiffany spoon. Very yacht-y!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

True the arc is limited, but they are typically used
to take in the last little bit of tension on a line.

These are from 1973.

They are made with woven material covered with
resin.

"DSK" wrote