posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Real Sailing...For Mooron

Mooron, this is a recap of our test sail of the 35s5 out of St.
Petersberg. Compare it to the Slowica 30 and draw your own conclusions.

We set out in fairly stiff breezes ranging from 14-22 knots and hoisted
the 35s5's very large main. Unlike my previous boats, the 35s5 easily
sailed upwind with just the main (just like a J-boat) and handled much
like a big dinghy. Curious, I tucked in the mainsheet and found that
the 35s5 pointed as well as my C&C ever did...and with just main!
Pulling a tack was a revelation! The boat tacked as if on a hinge,
instantly changing direction and accelerating to hull speed again in
seconds. We unrolled the 110 mylar jib and went through some close and
medium reaches. The 35s5, catching a few strong gusts touched 9-10
knots twice, her bow surging up slightly. It was like she was trying to
fly! Hardening up in these conditions I was overpowered and she started
to round up, but it was quickly and easily controlled. We were having a
blast!!! Suzanne tried the helm and immediately commented on the ease
of steering and feedback. There's not a millimeter of slop in the
Whitlock steering system....just like a tiller.
After seeing some of the boats considerable performance, we furled the
jib and went back to mainsail only. It was clear that this type of
sailing would allow for more easy going days when young Thom would be
aboard. Even when I ignored trim to play with this and that, the boat
speed never fell below 5.5 knots. Yet to get her speed tweaked took
more exacting helm and sail trim. What a rewarding boat and this was
only our 3rd test sail!!!!! Coming up on a Catalina 36 on a reach, we
easily slid past him as well virtually every other sailboat out. We
were having the best ride of all of them!
That's just a small hint of what a properly designed hull and sailplan
can do, and the 35s5 is still a cruiser rather than an out & out racer!
Her interior never made a sound under sail. No creaking or rattling.
The whole boat was solid and assured cutting through considerable chop
as we returned to the slip...a great ride, and one you'll never enjoy
on your boat, which is to heavy and dated for such fun, yet to lightly
and cheaply built to be true to her lines as a heavy weather boat.
In a sense, Mooron, you own a Catalina 28....shaped like a real boat.
It's a shame. At what point did you find out about her build issues?
Was this before the web made it easy to identify such a lemon?

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mooron, this is a recap of our test sail of the 35s5 out of St.
Petersberg. Compare it to the Slowica 30 and draw your own conclusions.

My My... how petty... but expected!

We set out in fairly stiff breezes ranging from 14-22 knots and hoisted
the 35s5's very large main.

[ 14 to 22 isn't a stiff breeze... it's a gentle breeze.... 25 to 35 is a
stiff breeze.]

Unlike my previous boats, the 35s5 easily
sailed upwind with just the main (just like a J-boat) and handled much
like a big dinghy.

{I can sail upwind under main alone with my Nordica...easily]

Curious, I tucked in the mainsheet and found that
the 35s5 pointed as well as my C&C ever did...and with just main!

[Tucked In?????]

Pulling a tack was a revelation! The boat tacked as if on a hinge,
instantly changing direction and accelerating to hull speed again in
seconds.

[Good Grief... it's a fin keeler... they all tack on a dime]

We unrolled the 110 mylar jib and went through some close and
medium reaches. The 35s5, catching a few strong gusts touched 9-10
knots twice, her bow surging up slightly.

[Obviously the Log is not set up correctly]

It was like she was trying to
fly! Hardening up in these conditions I was overpowered and she started
to round up, but it was quickly and easily controlled. We were having a
blast!!!

[Overpowered with main and 110 in 14-22 kts????... Woooooo.. Pathetic!]

Suzanne tried the helm and immediately commented on the ease
of steering and feedback. There's not a millimeter of slop in the
Whitlock steering system....just like a tiller.

[No... it's not "just like a tiller"]

After seeing some of the boats considerable performance, we furled the
jib and went back to mainsail only. It was clear that this type of
sailing would allow for more easy going days when young Thom would be
aboard.

[You'll scare a lot sooner than Thonas ever will...]

Even when I ignored trim to play with this and that, the boat
speed never fell below 5.5 knots.

[I should hope not!]

Yet to get her speed tweaked took
more exacting helm and sail trim.

[Yup....]

What a rewarding boat and this was
only our 3rd test sail!!!!! Coming up on a Catalina 36 on a reach, we
easily slid past him as well virtually every other sailboat out. We
were having the best ride of all of them!

[That's what happens when the other boats are going the opposite direction]

That's just a small hint of what a properly designed hull and sailplan
can do, and the 35s5 is still a cruiser rather than an out & out racer!

[It's a lightweight harbour sailing fin keeler... yet another one in your
many "stepping stones"]

Her interior never made a sound under sail. No creaking or rattling.

[Cripes Man... it's moulded plastic and imitation wood shelf liner!]

The whole boat was solid and assured cutting through considerable chop
as we returned to the slip...a great ride,

[Bobsprit... you were on a backwater shallow bayou/bay... considerable
chop???]

and one you'll never enjoy
on your boat, which is to heavy and dated for such fun, yet to lightly
and cheaply built to be true to her lines as a heavy weather boat.

[Let's see... I sail in the North Atlantic..... you sail in a protected Bay
within sight of land]

In a sense, Mooron, you own a Catalina 28....shaped like a real boat.
It's a shame. At what point did you find out about her build issues?

I owned a Nordica 20 prior to the Nordica 30... the reason I bought the
Nordica 30 was because of the positive experiences with the Nordica 20. I
just found out that my old Nordica 20 might be up for sale this spring....
if so I will purchase it. Despite the lack of 30 coats of hand rubbed
varnish on the interior woodwork..... it's still one of the best sailing
vessels I have ever had the pleasure to own or sail. Keep in mind I have
chartered extensively on a wide varirty of boats and sailed more vessels
than you have in locations you have yet to experience.

Was this before the web made it easy to identify such a lemon?

If you knew the 35s5 was a lemon... why did you but one???

CM-