posted to alt.sailing.asa
D Peterson

Default Irwin Citation 34 info wanted

People:

Good points, bad points, approx value, utility for coastal sailing etc. No
intention to use for blue water hops.

Looking at a keel model, not the c/b one.

Appreciate information from people that have owned one or at least sailed a
fair bit but this is ASA so ignorant and uninformed opinions will be
read as well. At least, to start with......

TIA.

--
David Peterson - jack of many trades, master of nothing.

"There are 2 sorts of people in the world. Mariners and shoreside *******s."
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Appreciate information from people that have owned one or at least
sailed a
fair bit but this is ASA so ignorant and uninformed opinions will be
read as well. At least, to start with......

There are MANY bad Irwins out there, and some good ones. #1 problem on
them is bad/wet decks. Sound them or have them checked. Check the
entire boat carefully for delamination. I recently surveyed a Irwin 31
and her entire deck was wet. Most people have a pretty low opinion of
Irwins, but there are some good ones out there with owners enjoying
them all the same.

Good luck,

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
D Peterson

Capt. Rob wrote:
Most people have a pretty low opinion of
Irwins, but there are some good ones out there with owners enjoying
them all the same.

Good luck,

Thanks. I got the impression from a Google search that they weren't anything
like the best boats ever built. Didn't pick up on the deck issue tho. There
are heaps of boats out there and as this one needs serious interior rebuild
done, I may not bother. I'm not in a hurry, my current boat serves my needs.

Thanks to the others for replying, as well. The Ebay one can go to someons
else. I can't see the point in paying more than scrap value for most of the
stuff on Ebay and if other people think it's worth more, good on them. I'd
rather be a seller....
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

I wish I could help Dave. I don't know too much
about the boat. There is some information out there
online. It seems to be nicer than some Irwins I've
seen.

In general Irwins do not have a great reputation,
although the Irwin 62 offers a lot of bang for the
buck. I have two friends who bought one that
was hurricane damaged and fixed it up and now
run a successful charter operation on it.

I think you can do better for about $20k than an
Irwin Citation Albeit, the shoal draft version can
have a certain amount of appeal in shallow waters.

I agree with your points about two types of people
in the world, "sailors" and "the lame".

"D Peterson" wrote
People:

Good points, bad points, approx value, utility for coastal sailing etc. No
intention to use for blue water hops.

Looking at a keel model, not the c/b one.

Appreciate information from people that have owned one or at least sailed
fair bit but this is ASA so ignorant and uninformed opinions will be
read as well. At least, to start with......

TIA.

--
David Peterson - jack of many trades, master of nothing.

"There are 2 sorts of people in the world. Mariners and shoreside
*******s."

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Hey David,

I noticed the one for sail on eBay. I would not bid to much
for it, unless you know how to fiberglass and paint with two
part epoxy. That one needs some work.

"D Peterson" wrote
People:

Good points, bad points, approx value, utility for coastal sailing etc. No
intention to use for blue water hops.

Looking at a keel model, not the c/b one.

Appreciate information from people that have owned one or at least sailed
fair bit but this is ASA so ignorant and uninformed opinions will be
read as well. At least, to start with......

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"D Peterson" wrote in message
People:

Good points, bad points, approx value, utility for coastal sailing etc. No
intention to use for blue water hops.

Looking at a keel model, not the c/b one.

Appreciate information from people that have owned one or at least sailed
fair bit but this is ASA so ignorant and uninformed opinions will be
read as well. At least, to start with......

David--my boat is a rather traditional CCA-type boat of 34'. Two years ago
an Irwin Citation 31 (I think--I estimated it's length) passed us as if we
were sitting still when both of us were under auxiliary power--no sails.
Later the wind came up, we caught and passed it like it was sitting still.
Our boat is deceptively fast under sail; very similar to a Catalina 34. I
really know nothing about the Citations, but they seem to be of average
speed under sail. They also all seem to be in rough shape around here.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

The O'Day 35 will do a horizon job on a Catalina 34.
I can't see how you can relate that a Cat-34 is fast.
I've always used the Catalina 34 as a benchmark for
slow in that size range.

"Maxprop" wrote