posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

Default What boat for me? (long)

"DSK" wrote in message
news
Balsa core is not very strong in compression. Actually, neither is
plywood, but it's stronger than balsa.

Frank Boettcher wrote:
All wood is stronger in compression of the end grain than compression
of the side surface.

That's true.

However, *balsa* is not stronger that way than even cheapo pine plywood
(unless of course there are gaps in the ply).

.... And end grain
balsa is stronger in compression than side grain plywood

I don't think so, but I bet there are figures out there somewhere.

Check out the Wooden Boat magazine archives. There is so much esoteric data
on the properties of wood as to be tedious. I'm sure this issue has been
addressed, and probably redundantly.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

... The end
grain isolates moisture instead of wicking it the full length of the
structure.

Maxprop wrote:
That was the theory behind end-grain balsa, but ultimately it didn't work.
Eventually the wood will tranfer water a great distance between lamina.

Yes, but "eventually" Mt Everest will be reduced to beach
sand, too. The progression of rot is much much slower with
end grain core than encapsulated plywood. I would not call
that failure, myself.

As for plywood "core" what's the point? Why not get plywood that's strong
enough in the first place, instead of adding a skin of something that is
heavier & not as resilient & will trap water in the wood? Actually, the
one exception is the upper face of a deck. Fiberglass is a lot more
abrasion resistant than wood, and makes a great deck surface.

It's probably not a lot more abrasion resistant than dry teak,

Guess it depends on how you define "a lot" and what kind of
abrasion you expose it to. Fiberglass will basically have
almost no wear at all from foot traffic. Teak will... I know
this for a fact, having just removed a 20 year old teak deck.

BTW this teak deck was screwed into balsa core, which had a
dessert-plate sized spots of rot. If it had been plywood, it
would all have gone to mush.

.... which makes
the best non-skid of all IMO.

Disagree, but then that's based on personal experience
rather than heeding the opinions of others. Heresy!

.... For those boats with ply decks, many
manufacturers covered the decks with canvas and later Dynel or fiberglass.

I've read the Dynel is supposed to be better, not used it
myself.

.... Look at an
Ericson and you will see core with a flat taper or bevel in the decks.
Some eras of C&C did this as well, but they also put in plywood or milled
PVC blanks in place too for some models in some eras. So did some other
builders.

The older Pacific Seacrafts, sure. The last ones I looked at
(2003 & 2004 models) they had deliberately built the boat
with glued-in molding & fabric liners so that you could not
see or access any part of the structure. Frustrating... and
suspicious IMHO.

I should have asked first... you know Pacific Seacraft was
bought up by a conglomerate? Personally I think they're
playing the sausage game. Nothing stays good for long.

But many builders just toss the core in the mold and slap
cloth
over it.

Those same builders never anticipated being in business years later when
those cores were soaking wet, either.

They might not have thought it made that much difference,
and couldn't afford the labor to do it right anyway.

Maxprop wrote:

Damned if I can recall what manufacturer did this, but I recall seeing a
boat on which all thru-bolts were first drilled oversize, then filled
with solid resin--epoxy, I presume--and then redrilled to the proper,
smaller diameter.

The problem with this method of repair is that you're cutting away the
strength memeber... the skin. But the epoxy filler is stronger in
compression than the core, so that's good.

You're cutting away such a small diameter of the skin that I think the
result is negligible, especially if the unit of hardware being installed is
quite a bit larger.

That's a good point. If the hardware is a lot larger, or has
at least 3 mounting holes, it's probably just fine. I was
thinking of single bolt stuff.

I also drill out areas and fill with epoxy to mount small
stuff with self-tapping screws.

No, but freeze-thaw cycles will still cause progressive delamination if
any water gets into it. And Airex is also weak in compression, thru-bolts
will crush it and cause leaks.

It's surprisingly stiff and rigid. I installed a sheet stopper on the cabin
roof, and I was preparing to route out some of the Airex and replace it with
epoxy and West System's colloidal filler, but the local glass man told me it
wouldn't be necessary with Airex. I couldn't detect any undue compression
when I tightened the fasteners. Of course I bedded them and the stopper in
polysulfide caulk, tightened only slightly until the caulk had a chance to
set up slightly, then tightened it further.

Interesting to see what the results will be. Airex and
Divinycell and Klegecell and there some new German stuff
that's supposed to be miraculous but is tediously expensive
are all less supject to compression failure, and certainly
less prone to rot but they are still not strong enough
to have rigging components thru-bolted to it. It may be that
the caulk is resilient enough to keep it watertight anyway,
in your application.

If you're interested, I can recommend some fairly technical
books on composite aircraft construction, which is what I've
been studying because there aren't any books on fancy
composite boat construction. Same stuff, same issues, though.

..... The real
killer of cored structure is lack of maintenance. How long has it been
since all deck fittiings were rebedded? Going on 2 1/2 years for me, and
I'm thinking about doing it again. But then I was raised in the old school
where you do this *every* year.

Then there's the school of thought that if you bed everything in
polyurethane (3M5200, for example) you'll never have to do it again. That's
true, because you'll never be *able* to do it again, and of course it will
leak with time. Terrible idea.

I used to use 5200 for everything, and then of course had to
peel/scrape/wirebrush it off, very tedious. Now I use
4200. And I own stock in 3M.....

This turned out to be really long, sorry about that. But it's an important
issue. This should have come under the "projects" thread earlier.

I think some of us enjoy projects of this nature. And some of us are
pedantic enough to want to do it in the best possible technological manner.
Most owners are clueless. ("You mean you have to rebed those things? What
the hell . . .?")

Maybe it is pedantry, but my belief is that it's less work
to do things the right way. Especially if you don't want it
to fail at an inconvenient time.

Another of my theories is that 'if it works, it must have
been done right.' I'd like to see some of Frank's work & learn.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:07:14 -0500, DSK wrote:

Another of my theories is that 'if it works, it must have
been done right.' I'd like to see some of Frank's work & learn.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Pretty much beginners luck, I think,done because the yard had charged
a fortune for a small repair that did not hold several years before.

All the core repairs were done from the outside in rather than the
inside out. I don't know if this was right, but seemed to me the
primary structural layers were on the inside and I didn't want to
tamper with them. But it meant that it had to end up cosmetically
pleasing. Also meant that I had to learn how to spray catalyzed
polyurethane which was easier than I thought it would be. Did the
whole boat with Imron.

All the repairs were done with expoxy rather than polyester. I
worried about the bond between the two but it was needless worry.

Don't know the status, boat was sold again several years ago. For all
I know Katrina got it.

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

Maxprop wrote:
That was the theory behind end-grain balsa, but ultimately it didn't
work. Eventually the wood will tranfer water a great distance between
lamina.

Yes, but "eventually" Mt Everest will be reduced to beach sand, too. The
progression of rot is much much slower with end grain core than
encapsulated plywood. I would not call that failure, myself.

Your Mt. Everest analogy is not really appropriate in this case. End-grain
balsa core material will be wet during the reasonable lifespan of the boat,
whereas Mt. Everest may see the nova of our sun before becoming a beach. We
ran a moisture meter over a 22 year old C&C 36, whose topsides and deck are
cored with balsa, and there is considerable water in the deck, and some, if
not a lot, in the topsides near the hull/deck union. The moisture is
significant enough to repeatedly thwart the sale of the boat, as the owner
has discovered. Too bad--the boat is otherwise immaculate, and it's fast.

As for plywood "core" what's the point? Why not get plywood that's strong
enough in the first place, instead of adding a skin of something that is
heavier & not as resilient & will trap water in the wood? Actually, the
one exception is the upper face of a deck. Fiberglass is a lot more
abrasion resistant than wood, and makes a great deck surface.

It's probably not a lot more abrasion resistant than dry teak,

Guess it depends on how you define "a lot" and what kind of abrasion you
expose it to. Fiberglass will basically have almost no wear at all from
foot traffic. Teak will... I know this for a fact, having just removed a
20 year old teak deck.

I'm assuming that you didn't own that teak deck for the past 20 years,
therefore you may not know how it was cared for. Or perhaps you know it was
not cared for correctly. Most people are clueless as to how to care for
teak decking. Many scrub it along the rays with a stiff brush while wet
(disaster), and some sand it repeatedly to reestablish the nice brown teak
color (another disaster). I owned a ketch with a teak deck that had been
properly maintained--washed with TSP and a *string mop*, and rinsed with
brine. The boat was built in 1972, and the deck was perfect, save for a
couple of bungs that had popped and had to be replaced. The yacht
Dorade--the namesake of the famous dorade box and cowl vent--sold a few
years ago, and its original deck was completely replaced. The wood from the
removed deck was in such good shape that much of it was used to re-deck
another boat. Dorade was one of Olin Stephens' most famous designs, built
in 1929.

BTW this teak deck was screwed into balsa core, which had a dessert-plate
sized spots of rot. If it had been plywood, it would all have gone to
mush.

That may be a characteristic of balsa itself, which is generally more
impervious to rot than pine or fir. Being an exotic species, it has
genetically evolved to resist rot, which is ubiquitous in the climate where
it grows.

.... which makes the best non-skid of all IMO.

Disagree, but then that's based on personal experience rather than heeding
the opinions of others. Heresy!

Mine is based upon experience as well. Most people think teak is terrible
underfoot. If I listened to others, I'd probably dislike it too.

.... For those boats with ply decks, many manufacturers covered the decks
with canvas and later Dynel or fiberglass.

I've read the Dynel is supposed to be better, not used it myself.

When applied and painted, Dynel is really no different than cotton canvas.
Being a synthetic fabric, however, it lasts about 5 times longer than
canvas. It is harder to work with, however.

.... Look at an Ericson and you will see core with a flat taper or bevel
in the decks. Some eras of C&C did this as well, but they also put in
plywood or milled PVC blanks in place too for some models in some eras.
So did some other builders.

The older Pacific Seacrafts, sure. The last ones I looked at (2003 & 2004
models) they had deliberately built the boat with glued-in molding &
fabric liners so that you could not see or access any part of the
structure. Frustrating... and suspicious IMHO.

Sorry to hear that. I always thought they were excellent boats, if a bit
diminutive in beam and interior volume for their length. I haven't followed
them since the company was sold, but I suspect PS is facing the same
constraints other builders now face: with rising crude oil prices and
labor costs, builders must cut some corners to keep their boats in their
given price niches.

I should have asked first... you know Pacific Seacraft was bought up by a
conglomerate? Personally I think they're playing the sausage game. Nothing
stays good for long.

See above.

But many builders just toss the core in the mold and slap cloth
over it.

Some layup cloth/roving/matt on the outside and simply chopper the inside.
Did you know that several lamina in the layup schedule of Hallberg Rasseys
are choppered? Disappointed me to learn that.

Those same builders never anticipated being in business years later when
those cores were soaking wet, either.

They might not have thought it made that much difference, and couldn't
afford the labor to do it right anyway.

No doubt there was some builder ignorance involved, but I suspect many of
them knew exactly what would happen. A disgruntled ex-Sea Ray executive
told a SOUNDINGS editor that the company's policy, from the 70s on, is to
use ply in the transoms of their stern drive boats, knowing full well that
it would be soaked and soft in 20-30 years. Planned obsolescense.

Maxprop wrote:

[...]

Guess I should have explained in more detail: in the case of the sheet
stopper, I mounted a 3/4" teak backing plate and large diameter washers
underneath, and a slightly larger-than-the-stopper 1/2" teak mounting plate
on top.

If you're interested, I can recommend some fairly technical books on
composite aircraft construction, which is what I've been studying because
there aren't any books on fancy composite boat construction. Same stuff,
same issues, though.

Probably too esoteric for my needs, but thanks anyway. While on the
subject, though, I'm surprised that honeycomb aluminum hasn't been utilized
as a core material in boats. Virtually no weight, nothing to wick mositure,
and rigid and crush-proof like a cast iron beam when between laminates. But
I suppose the stuff is really costly. I know it was (is?) used in composite
aircraft construction. There were some skis with it as a core material some
years back, and they were successful, if expensive. It was never picked up
by other manufacturers, however.

..... The real killer of cored structure is lack of maintenance. How long
has it been since all deck fittiings were rebedded? Going on 2 1/2 years
for me, and I'm thinking about doing it again. But then I was raised in
the old school where you do this *every* year.

Then there's the school of thought that if you bed everything in
polyurethane (3M5200, for example) you'll never have to do it again.
That's true, because you'll never be *able* to do it again, and of course
it will leak with time. Terrible idea.

I used to use 5200 for everything, and then of course had to
peel/scrape/wirebrush it off, very tedious. Now I use 4200. And I own
stock in 3M.....

Our ketch had a deck prism through the teak deck right over the head of the
V-berth, and of course it leaked as all deck prisms eventually do. Trying
to remove it proved a bit much for my self control. I probably said a few
things that caused mothers to rush their kids out of the parking lot. But
eventually I found the former owner and asked with what he re-bedded the
damn thing. 5200, of course. 20 hours of hard labor, swearing, and bloody
fingers later it was re-bedded and leak-free. People who bed with
polyurethane should be glued to the mast approximately at the spreaders with
the stuff and left there for the cormorants to roost upon. It's great for
hull to deck bonding, however.

This turned out to be really long, sorry about that. But it's an
important issue. This should have come under the "projects" thread
earlier.

I think some of us enjoy projects of this nature. And some of us are
pedantic enough to want to do it in the best possible technological
manner. Most owners are clueless. ("You mean you have to rebed those
things? What the hell . . .?")

Maybe it is pedantry, but my belief is that it's less work to do things
the right way. Especially if you don't want it to fail at an inconvenient
time.

Another of my theories is that 'if it works, it must have been done
right.' I'd like to see some of Frank's work & learn.

Ditto.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Maxprop wrote:
I'm assuming that you didn't own that teak deck for the past 20 years,
therefore you may not know how it was cared for. Or perhaps you know it was
not cared for correctly.

The latter. Well, that may be unduly harsh... I have pretty
good evidence that it received no care at all.

... Most people are clueless as to how to care for
teak decking.

Sure. Most people are clueless, period.

....The yacht
Dorade--the namesake of the famous dorade box and cowl vent--sold a few
years ago, and its original deck was completely replaced. The wood from the
removed deck was in such good shape that much of it was used to re-deck
another boat. Dorade was one of Olin Stephens' most famous designs, built
in 1929.

Yep and a design worth studying IMHO. As for teak, one of
the reasons it's used so much on boats is that it's ppretty,
it's dense (fairly strong in several different aspects), and
it's very resistant to rot.

The teak that I removed was sought after by several
craftsmen I know, the wood itself was in great shape;
although it had caulk stuck to it & came up in pieces less
than 3' long. But hey, free teak! If I wasn't seriously
downsizing, I'd have kept it all myself.

.... which makes the best non-skid of all IMO.

Disagree, but then that's based on personal experience rather than heeding
the opinions of others. Heresy!

Mine is based upon experience as well. Most people think teak is terrible
underfoot.

Hardly.
I've very rarely heard anybody not rave about teak. In fact
I have never heard anybody else say it's poor nonskid. Ask
over at rec.boats.cruising and see what they say.

However I've sailed a lot of boats with teak decks, cared
for a variety of ways, and it struck me *every* time that if
it weren't for the caulk in the seams, walking a teak deck
would be shockingly similar to rollerskating. And some teak
decks are worse.

For a power boat, it's less of an issue. Our tugboat has
never once needed a headsail change while heeling 30 degrees
I took off our teak deck because of structural issues in the
core underneath. Many many many boats with screwed-in teak
decks get a trampoline deck when they're younger than ours.

Some layup cloth/roving/matt on the outside and simply chopper the inside.
Did you know that several lamina in the layup schedule of Hallberg Rasseys
are choppered? Disappointed me to learn that.

The only bad thing about chopper gun is that it's heavy &
overly stiff for it's yield point (ie breaks too soon
relative to how much it bends). But if sandwiched between
layers of roving, it would be just fine to build up
thickness. Less likely to wick moisture thru the laminate,
less likely to be irregularly catalyzed.

I have a buddy who used to have a 100% chopper gun canoe.
Weighed about 200#.

Those same builders never anticipated being in business years later when
those cores were soaking wet, either.

They might not have thought it made that much difference, and couldn't
afford the labor to do it right anyway.

No doubt there was some builder ignorance involved, but I suspect many of
them knew exactly what would happen. A disgruntled ex-Sea Ray executive
told a SOUNDINGS editor that the company's policy, from the 70s on, is to
use ply in the transoms of their stern drive boats, knowing full well that
it would be soaked and soft in 20-30 years. Planned obsolescense.

Well, sure. American business at it's finest. Besides, after
they sell the boat the first time, why should they care what
happens to it? It's too easy to build a "reputation for
quality" by buying lots of expensive advertising. Shucks,
this works in politics too.

Interesting to see what the results will be. Airex and Divinycell and
Klegecell and there some new German stuff that's supposed to be miraculous
but is tediously expensive are all less supject to compression failure,
and certainly less prone to rot but they are still not strong enough
to have rigging components thru-bolted to it. It may be that the caulk is
resilient enough to keep it watertight anyway, in your application.

Guess I should have explained in more detail: in the case of the sheet
stopper, I mounted a 3/4" teak backing plate and large diameter washers
underneath, and a slightly larger-than-the-stopper 1/2" teak mounting plate
on top.

OK, it may be that you've spread the compression over a
large enough area that it's not a problem. But there will be
a concentration of stress at the edge facing the direction
the line pulls from.

Hey if it works, it must have been done right!

.... While on the
subject, though, I'm surprised that honeycomb aluminum hasn't been utilized
as a core material in boats. Virtually no weight, nothing to wick mositure,
and rigid and crush-proof like a cast iron beam when between laminates. But
I suppose the stuff is really costly. I know it was (is?) used in composite
aircraft construction.

From what I've read, the issue is bonding the skin to the
core. Airplanes use some exotic technology to achieve this,
and it could be done (I believe it has been done) with some
high end boats for critical components. The easiest way to
get a good bond is to fill the cell with resin, but then you
don't have such a light structure any more!

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message

I have a buddy who used to have a 100% chopper gun canoe. Weighed about
200#.

That must have been fun to portage.

OK, it may be that you've spread the compression over a large enough area
that it's not a problem. But there will be a concentration of stress at
the edge facing the direction the line pulls from.

It was installed three years ago and so far no evidence of any indentation
on the forward edge (facing the mast--it's a main halyard stopper).

Hey if it works, it must have been done right!

Beginner's luck, and a bit of overkill, according to the glass wizard at our
marina.

From what I've read, the issue is bonding the skin to the core. Airplanes
use some exotic technology to achieve this, and it could be done (I
believe it has been done) with some high end boats for critical
components. The easiest way to get a good bond is to fill the cell with
resin, but then you don't have such a light structure any more!

I found a website which claimed that Yamaha built a few prototype sailboats
with honeycomb aluminum coring throughout the hulls and on the flats of the
decks. It was great, according to the author, but the cost would have been
prohibitive. As for bonding the skins to the honeycomb, Hexcel Skis, which
used the technology, used to laminate the skins first and then apply a
slurry of resin and finely chopped fibers to the surface, into which the
honeycomb was pressed. Both inner skins were applied simultaneously and
bonded under high pressure--I vaguely tend to recall that it was about
150psi. Hexcel warranted the skis against delamination from the core for
life. My wife had a pair--they were light and responsive, according to
her--and we eventually threw them away after they hung in the rafters of the
garage for a decade or so after she'd gotten several new pairs of skis.
They never delaminated, but all my older French skis did--Rossignol, Dynamic
and others all used wood cores.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Maxprop wrote:
That must have been fun to portage.

Didn't. It rode on a ski boat trailer. The guy worked in a
fiberglass plant making bathtubs & such, and brought in a
canoe to use as a mold plug. He wanted to make a sailboat
but the canoe was not enough of a success to justify the work.

I found a website which claimed that Yamaha built a few prototype sailboats
with honeycomb aluminum coring throughout the hulls and on the flats of the
decks.

Yamaha builds some cool boats. They're currently making a 30
(IIRC) and a 33' sport boat that looks at least as fast and
more practical than anything else on the market,
unfortunately I've lost the web page & can't find it again.

There have been some "superyachts" built with structural
panels (floors & partial bulkheads, I think) with aluminum
honeycomb core.

... It was great, according to the author, but the cost would have been
prohibitive. As for bonding the skins to the honeycomb, Hexcel Skis, which
used the technology, used to laminate the skins first and then apply a
slurry of resin and finely chopped fibers to the surface, into which the
honeycomb was pressed. Both inner skins were applied simultaneously and
bonded under high pressure--I vaguely tend to recall that it was about
150psi.

The ones I read about used a different adhesive than
laminating resin to glue the core to the skin,
vacuum-bagged, then post-cured the whole structure (as I
understood the process). It's not a mature technology, but
it's hard to imagine what's coming up next by the time they
get this stuff completely figured out.

I've been working with some carbon fiber & foam core
laminations, learning enough to make a dinghy out of the
stuff. It's amazing, weighs nothing. A friend had a new
Int'l 14 hull made in a pro shop, then brought it home to
install the hardware. Could pick it up with one hand and
throw it across the yard like a huge paper plane!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

.. .

Maxprop wrote:
[...]

I've wondered why carbon fiber hasn't been exploited more as lamina in
production boat hulls and decks, such as class racers, etc. If utilized in
mass quantities, the high cost factor should be mitigated somewhat. And how
about a carbon honeycomb core? Shouldn't present the bonding issues that
aluminum honeycomb did.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Default What boat for me?... carbon fiber

Maxprop wrote:
I've wondered why carbon fiber hasn't been exploited more as lamina in
production boat hulls and decks, such as class racers, etc. If utilized in
mass quantities, the high cost factor should be mitigated somewhat.

It is being used more & more for spars, especially sprits &
spinnaker poles, also foils. For example Hobie Cats have
been using carbon fiber rudder blades for years.

The cost of the raw material just took a leap upward,
supposedly the military is buying up 110% of production for
the next few years. Fortunately I had already bought some
rolls of woven carbon for my dinghy project, I think I have
enough.

.... And how
about a carbon honeycomb core? Shouldn't present the bonding issues that
aluminum honeycomb did.

There is an expanded carbon core material, but it has to be
carved to shape. Difficult to work with. And it's *real*
expensive.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"DSK" wrote in message
I think some of us enjoy projects of this nature. And some

of us are
pedantic enough to want to do it in the best possible

technological
manner. Most owners are clueless. ("You mean you have to

rebed those
things? What the hell . . .?")

Do you rebed handrails every year?

SBV