posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default What boat for me?

Check out the Pearson 37. It has a great cockpit
which should be a key consideration. The only
weakness is the lack of opening portlights, which
would be a good project for you. Many of the boat
have had this mod done--which makes the boat
close to perfect.

http://www.practical-sailor.com/sample/boatreview1.html
http://pearsoninfo.net/37/37.htm

I've seen them sell from between $20k and $40k.

The J-37 is a sweet boat also--at about twice the
money.
http://www.jcruiser.org/37/J37.htm

My recommendation is to get a boat that does not need
much work so you can spend more time sailing. You will
have plenty of maintenance work to keep you busy.

Bart

Frank Boettcher wrote:
Well I'm going to attempt to get a thread going that actually has a
little bit to do with sailing. And maybe provide some initial
direction for my search. In the last couple of days we have had
chicken pluckin stories, gay theme movies, Ebay woes, a little current
lib/conserv debate and an informal post in survey about concern for
Doug's truthfulness regarding his address (who cares, BTW). Must be
January.

So I need a boat. I'll give minimum specs and you suggest some
classic or not so classic plastic.

1. I would like something in the 35 plus or minus foot range, sloop
rigged, aft cockpit.

2. I'm a woodworker by hobby, experienced with glass work and custom
painting, good with plumbing, electrical, mechanical and enjoy
bringing things back from the brink, so a fixer upper is fine, in fact
desired. This indicates that age is not a factor.

3. I sail in the world of many sand bars, with desitinations,
anchorages, and islands that require no deep stick under a boat. Like
to keep draft to less than five feet, preferably much less.

4. I'm not going to live aboard, however trips of several weeks to a
month at a time are probable, so living amentities or the potential to
install the same are somewhat important. ( this does not mean room for
a home theatre)

5.I sail in hot, wet land. I don't care about AC but want good
cross and top hatch ventilation (screenable, those mosquitos like hot,
wet land also)

6. WHile I like performance, I would give up a half knot or so for
stout. Keep in mind, I had a Columbia 8.7 for a long time and failed
to ever bury her lee rail. I liked that.

7. Give slight preference to at least partially skeg protected
rudder.

8. I think the change to more beam that took place in the late
seventies to early eighties was a good thing. This indicates that age
might be a factor.

9. PHRF not important. I don't want a dog but when I race, I prefer
to crew on someone else's boat. And for some reason, I can't tell the
difference whether I'm going 6 knots or 5.5 knots in the big scheme of
things. It is the perception of speed and power that matter.

10. I prefer classic lines. The spaceship look of the later Hunters,
and anyone who is following in those footsteps, turns me off. Must be
my age.

11. prefer wheel steering but would retrofit. Most 35's would have it
anyway. Would retrofit to rack and pinion. That is one of the things
I can agree with Boob, Swab, matrix inhabitant, etc. It is absolutely
slick and very responsive with great feedback. But I would like a
close to nuetral (weather) helm on a full speed beam reach.

12. for now, no price range limitations.

I may never get there, but who knows, so give me your suggestion and
I'll check it out maybe add it to the search list. And I won't blast
your submission, just quietly add it to the list or reject it. Of
course, more than likely you will blast each others.

On my list so far:

Endeavour 35 - meets most requirements. Downside - draft pushes 5'
and there are not a lot of them out there available. May be some
other things, I have not done a complete analysis.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Maxprop wrote:
There are more, but this is a start. I'm sure others have good suggestions
as well.

How can you mention Ericsons and Irwins in the same post??

But it's just a damned shame that the 35s5--best boat ever created--doesn't
meet your needs. Think of it: fast as an offshore powerboat, better
looking than Brittney Spears, PHRF of -4000, accommodations for dozens,
including a toddler, fine French joinerwork, and did I mention better
looking than Brittney Spears? OH, and it has a by-God swim platform.
Please reconsider . . .

I've been curious... how does one swim on a platform? I've
always thought you had to be in the water.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

How can you mention Ericsons and Irwins in the same post??

I wonder if Doug has ever seen a good Irwin.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message
Maxprop wrote:
There are more, but this is a start. I'm sure others have good
suggestions as well.

How can you mention Ericsons and Irwins in the same post??

I know it's a stretch of the imagination, but they are in the same resale
price range. While the Ericsons are well-built, performance-type cruisers,
the Irwins are big-ass bathtub-like cruisers with lots of interior space and
substandard construction. Amazingly they resell very well. People seem to
be unable to look beyond the voluminous interior. A friend owned a 37'
Irwin up until this past fall--we tried repeatedly to bury the rail on the
damn thing, but never could--not even in 30+kts. That sort of stiffness
tends to instill confidence in those who are too ignorant to realize just
how poorly constructed they are.

But it's just a damned shame that the 35s5--best boat ever
created--doesn't meet your needs. Think of it: fast as an offshore
powerboat, better looking than Brittney Spears, PHRF of -4000,
accommodations for dozens, including a toddler, fine French joinerwork,
and did I mention better looking than Brittney Spears? OH, and it has a
by-God swim platform. Please reconsider . . .

I've been curious... how does one swim on a platform? I've always thought
you had to be in the water.

Ask Bubbles. My boat ain't got one.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
How can you mention Ericsons and Irwins in the same post??

I wonder if Doug has ever seen a *good Irwin.*

I believe that is an oxymoron.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

I wonder if Doug has ever seen a *good Irwin.*

I believe that is an oxymoron.

FYI, there are some BAD Irwins out there and some very good ones. I've
brokered both. Both ericson and Irwin are known for bad decks. In fact
I've never seen an older Ericson with dry decks.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Capt. Rob wrote:
How can you mention Ericsons and Irwins in the same post??

I wonder if Doug has ever seen a good Irwin.

RB
35s5
NY

There is no such thing as a good Irwin...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Maxprop wrote:
"DSK" wrote in message

Maxprop wrote:

There are more, but this is a start. I'm sure others have good
suggestions as well.

How can you mention Ericsons and Irwins in the same post??

I know it's a stretch of the imagination, but they are in the same resale
price range. While the Ericsons are well-built, performance-type cruisers,
the Irwins are big-ass bathtub-like cruisers with lots of interior space and
substandard construction. Amazingly they resell very well. People seem to
be unable to look beyond the voluminous interior. A friend owned a 37'
Irwin up until this past fall--we tried repeatedly to bury the rail on the
damn thing, but never could--not even in 30+kts.

Glad to hear he finally got rid of that leaky thing...hope they got
a better one....
That sort of stiffness
tends to instill confidence in those who are too ignorant to realize just
how poorly constructed they are.

But it's just a damned shame that the 35s5--best boat ever
created--doesn't meet your needs. Think of it: fast as an offshore
powerboat, better looking than Brittney Spears, PHRF of -4000,
accommodations for dozens, including a toddler, fine French joinerwork,
and did I mention better looking than Brittney Spears? OH, and it has a
by-God swim platform. Please reconsider . . .

I've been curious... how does one swim on a platform? I've always thought
you had to be in the water.

Ask Bubbles. My boat ain't got one.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

NY

There is no such thing as a good Irwin...

You're education on boats is based on heresay. Some Irwins held up
nicely, while others are plagued by soft decks and worse. Ive brokered
two Irwins (one 31 was very nice) and seen five more at least. On the
other hand every older Ericson I've ever seen had deck issues. I
would't buy either unless I was in Scotty's sad shoes...and even then
I'd still wait and buy a Pearson
The current Irwin I'm selling is a disaster.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Maxprop wrote:
I know it's a stretch of the imagination, but they are in the same
resale price range.

Well, that just goes to show that the marketplace ain't
everything. Irwins were well advertised and mass numbers
were built, so they have a type of appeal (familiarity?) and
for some types of sailor they are practical boats.

.... While the Ericsons are well-built,
performance-type cruisers, the Irwins are big-ass bathtub-like
cruisers with lots of interior space and substandard construction.

No, Irwin built a number of racier boats too... they even
called some of them "competition" models. Some of them sail
well and the K/CB models might make the start of a pretty
good shoal-draft low-budget fun cruiser.

Ted Irwin was a top racing skipper in his day, he had the
Irwin factory built a number of custom boats for him and
these were the basis of a few production models.

Amazingly they resell very well. People seem to be unable to look
beyond the voluminous interior.

Well, that's a desirable feature, no? Reflected in the
marketplace?

... A friend owned a 37' Irwin up until
this past fall--we tried repeatedly to bury the rail on the damn
thing, but never could--not even in 30+kts.

No spinnaker, I take it.....

katy wrote:
Glad to hear he finally got rid of that leaky thing...hope they got a
better one....

Lots & lots of boats on the market right now, that's fer shure.

.... That sort of stiffness
tends to instill confidence in those who are too ignorant to realize
just how poorly constructed they are.

High initial stability is also a desirable feature,
reflected in the marketplace... but I happen to agree that
the overal worth of a boat is more subtle & complex than
that. As far as I care, let them all buy Irwins... it will
leave more choices for me.

Actually, a good friend of mine is probably going to buy one
of the center-cockpit Irwin 37s for a live-aboard...
basically a semi-portable waterfront condo. Not likely he'll
ever take the thing out of the ICW and the budget picture
makes more sense than real estate in his neighborhood.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King