posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Defend Doug's Boat!!!!

Here it is, Folks...

http://www.sailboatowners.com/album/...3216375639.jpg
Can someone explain to me...like I'm a 4 year old! why anyone would be
dumb enough to buy this crap????? Doug did! Then he bought a POWERBOAT.

Owner's comments from HunterOwners.com on Doug's 19::

"I can't sail very close to the wind. Sometimes tacking becomes
"sailing back and forth" with little progress to windward... so what
else is new, huh?"

"Beginning sailors will enjoy her simple sheets running to the cockpit.
"

"Awful build quality has plagued us and other owners. Beware and check
the forums."

"i have no other experiences on sailboats so i guess it sails pretty
well. i have no complaints."

"No way. I am very disappointed in the quality. If you look closely,
you can almost see through the fiberglass hull. Built like a cheap bath
tub. Looks nice in photos, though. Hull blisters."

"Cheap. Better go with a Catalina or an older Oday."

The boat does not point particularily well. In light winds with the
standard sail configuration , upwind performance was terrible!

And the best comment of all!!!!!!!

"It's a great small boat with everything. room for 4 to camp out on the
water. stove,storage galore,cooler space and head. did go to a
seidelmann 24.5 this year. But. still have the hunter 19."

Good work, Doug! You have a TON of credibility on boats now!!!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Doug has admitted the short comings of his boat, which don't overshadow his
enjoyment of sailing.

I bet he liked his boat almost as much as Scotty does his!

Amen!

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Commodore Joe Redcloud© wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:07:19 GMT, "Bob Crantz"
wrote:

Doug has admitted the short comings of his boat, which don't overshadow his
enjoyment of sailing.

I bet he liked his boat almost as much as Scotty does his!

Amen!

He liked sailing so much he bought a diesel trawler. Yeah, sailing
that Hunter must have been GREAT!

Commodore Joe Redcloud©

Well I can relate Commordore, I sailed a Russian model and stepped
down to a New Yorker. Just could not handle the pressure, my skull bone
is only 3" thick. That and the blisters drove me to look for a better
ride.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

I bet he liked his boat almost as much as Scotty does his!

I bet you're right!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Hey Doug;

My first boat out here in the NW was a Trailer Sailer. (Picture in
"Thom's Page) Picture taken on Lake Whatcom). A Venture 2-22. It sure
as hell was the right boat for that time ('70 to '75) Almost every
week-end we sailed a different Lake or Cove in Washington, British
Columbia and the Islands in the Straits.

With the long days we'd trailer Friday Evening. Launch, if we had time
or if we didn't, sleep in the boat in the Parking lot and launch in the
morning before the Ramp got busy. Often pulled the boat on the trailer
and left it at a local gas station until the next week-end when we got
gas for the car. Usually for free for the price of two or three fill
ups.

With the Pop-up Cabin roof we had over 6 foot head room in the galley.
Sailed with a Wife, two kids and a Basset Hound. Loved every minute!!

My kids learned to sail on that boat. With the 18HP Johnson/ lowering
Unit, even with that much crew could make well over 10 Knts under power

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/Pneuma

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Thom Stewart wrote:
Hey Doug;

My first boat out here in the NW was a Trailer Sailer. (Picture in
"Thom's Page) Picture taken on Lake Whatcom). A Venture 2-22. It sure
as hell was the right boat for that time ('70 to '75) Almost every
week-end we sailed a different Lake or Cove in Washington, British
Columbia and the Islands in the Straits.

There are still a lot of those boats around. There was one
in our trailer-sailor club here.

With the long days we'd trailer Friday Evening. Launch, if we had time
or if we didn't, sleep in the boat in the Parking lot and launch in the
morning before the Ramp got busy. Often pulled the boat on the trailer
and left it at a local gas station until the next week-end when we got
gas for the car. Usually for free for the price of two or three fill
ups.

That's a good idea... I could never leave my boat though. We
had a trailer bearing burn out once on a trip back from
Georgia, late Sunday night & had to be at work the next
morning. Keeping the boat on a trailer saves marina fees but
costs in trailer maintenance... a lot of people forget that
part.

With the Pop-up Cabin roof we had over 6 foot head room in the galley.
Sailed with a Wife, two kids and a Basset Hound. Loved every minute!!

My kids learned to sail on that boat. With the 18HP Johnson/ lowering
Unit, even with that much crew could make well over 10 Knts under power

You were ahead of your time, Thom... you should have made
the trailerable motorsailer/speedboat concept right then,
saved MacGregor the trouble!

We certainly had a lot of fun on our trailerable, and
covered more ground than we will until we retire. We used to
go to the Chesapeake every year... 4 ~ 5 hours driving
versus 4 ~ 5 days for most in-water boats.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

We certainly had a lot of fun on our trailerable, and
covered more ground than we will until we retire.

So much fun sailing that you had to have a trawler?
Oh. That must have been a load of fun.

RB
35s5
NY