posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default Kelp! Kelp!

The presense of kelp should be considered when
navigating a lee shore in lighter winds.

http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/marinebio/kelpforest.html

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Pt Loma just off San Deigo has a great kelp forest. Full of otters
eating clams. Use to love to dive the kelp there. But your right, it
can stop a boat in it's track.

joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Sure does! I used to dive on them quite bit also.. when were you there? I
haven't done that in years.

I remember one time we went out in a friend Zodiac. Huge swells and people
were really getting green while struggling with their equipment. Finally, I
just grabbed the remainder of my stuff and went over the side... told my
buddy I'd meet him at 30 feet. The surge was amazing.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Pt Loma just off San Deigo has a great kelp forest. Full of otters
eating clams. Use to love to dive the kelp there. But your right, it
can stop a boat in it's track.

joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Good point Jon. They increase swell. I've read that
ships have been lost forced into kelp beds, and some
have lost masts in the swell before being beat to pieces
on the rocks.

I wonder how many have been lost on the coast of
California because of this?

"Capt. JG" wrote
I remember one time we went out in a friend Zodiac. Huge swells and people
were really getting green while struggling with their equipment. Finally,
I just grabbed the remainder of my stuff and went over the side... told my
buddy I'd meet him at 30 feet. The surge was amazing.

"Joe" wrote
Pt Loma just off San Deigo has a great kelp forest. Full of otters
eating clams. Use to love to dive the kelp there. But your right, it
can stop a boat in it's track.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

When I was diving off Catalina, you could actually crawl across the tops of
the kelp... Don't know the numbers, but there are boats lost all the time
off SF and environs. I saw a large commercial fishing boat on its side off
Santa Cruz several years ago. They missed the entrance in the fog and ended
up on the beach.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
Good point Jon. They increase swell. I've read that
ships have been lost forced into kelp beds, and some
have lost masts in the swell before being beat to pieces
on the rocks.

I wonder how many have been lost on the coast of
California because of this?

"Capt. JG" wrote
I remember one time we went out in a friend Zodiac. Huge swells and
people were really getting green while struggling with their equipment.
Finally, I just grabbed the remainder of my stuff and went over the
side... told my buddy I'd meet him at 30 feet. The surge was amazing.

"Joe" wrote
Pt Loma just off San Deigo has a great kelp forest. Full of otters
eating clams. Use to love to dive the kelp there. But your right, it
can stop a boat in it's track.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Back in 1979, While attending Amphibious boat coxian school on Coronodo
island.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

No way! I was there... just barely though... left SD in 1980. Mostly, my
girlfriend and I were in Solana Beach. We had a great place on the cliffs
overlooking the ocean. Even at the top of the summer, there were just a few
people on that stretch of beach.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Back in 1979, While attending Amphibious boat coxian school on Coronodo
island.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

My borther and his wife lived in Solano Beach. They had a condo
right at the top of the hill, north of the race track. I loved it. I used
to go to dog beach and flirt with the girls. Then they sold that and
bought an orange grove under Mt Palomar. Motorcycle heaven.
Have you been out there? They were past the Rincon Indian Res,
and north of the La Jolla Ind. Res. His oranges were huge. The
first year he didn't have his labor set up in time and the oranges
were over two pounds! So big that they would split when they
fell. Some of them were over 3 lbs.

"Capt. JG" wrote
No way! I was there... just barely though... left SD in 1980. Mostly, my
girlfriend and I were in Solana Beach. We had a great place on the cliffs
overlooking the ocean. Even at the top of the summer, there were just a
few people on that stretch of beach.

"Joe" wrote
Back in 1979, While attending Amphibious boat coxian school on Coronodo
island.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Capt. JG wrote:
No way! I was there... just barely though... left SD in 1980. Mostly, my
girlfriend and I were in Solana Beach. We had a great place on the cliffs
overlooking the ocean. Even at the top of the summer, there were just a few
people on that stretch of beach.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

we use to surf flat bottom skiff on the rollers off Pt.Loma. It was a
blast. We'd rent them from the Navy special services. I don't no how
many times we wiped out and ended up on the beach drying motors out.
Nothing like diving in a kelp forest with otters.

Coronado was something else, While practicing beach landing we would
always take seals 3 mi off and they would have to swim back. ABC school
is now a thing of the past.

Lost my High School ring tumbling down the cliffs of Blacks Beach with
a keg.

Joe

ups.com...