Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default Comments on Trinidad and Caribbean Boat Yards

This is a quote from a Captain I know when asked about the boat
yards in the Caribbean. It is worth sharing

*******************

Comments on Trinidad, and all of non French Islands in the Caribbean

There is not one good boat yard or workers anywhere to be found at
any price. Oh sure you might have one good experience, but it's a
confidence game once they know they gotcha. There are family clans
that run from one island to the other everyone is related somehow.

If you just want to haul and do the work yourself or just hire locals to do
bottom at your direction then that's all I can recommend. If you just want
to hang out in Trinidad that's ok too, but crime is a major problem now,
with dozens of bombings over the summer.

The other problem being there is that you think your getting a good deal
on everything but in the long run its not the case the saying there is
you'll
go broke saving money in Trinidad".

There was a big exodus to Venezuela last 2 years because trini yards and
workers raised their prices beyond reality, to US pricing for real
now--greed
has set in Venezuela as well now. The bottom line is the Caribbean
mentality
is just that, if they can get your money they will, so beware.

I've asked for his comments on the French Islands.

Link to information on bombings.

http://www.knowprose.com/node/2923

http://www.knowprose.com/node/175