posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default Canadians buy more handguns!

Bravo Canada!

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=121753

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Gary

Bob Crantz wrote:
Bravo Canada!

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=121753

It's bull****. You can't buy guns quickly in Canada, particularily
handguns. Look at the source. Don't believe everything you read online.

Gaz
Filtering the BS for you.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Gary" wrote in message
newsdXpf.156459$Gd6.114170@pd7tw3no...
Bob Crantz wrote:
Bravo Canada!

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=121753

It's bull****. You can't buy guns quickly in Canada, particularily
handguns. Look at the source. Don't believe everything you read online.

Gaz
Filtering the BS for you.

If Canadians are lacking in handguns, is there a way we can send some to
them?

Amen!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article DdXpf.156459$Gd6.114170@pd7tw3no,
Gary wrote:
Bob Crantz wrote:
Bravo Canada!

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=121753

It's bull****. You can't buy guns quickly in Canada, particularily
handguns. Look at the source. Don't believe everything you read online.

Gaz
Filtering the BS for you.

Interesting, but they do have the same approximate per capita
ownership, and, a much less violent society per capita.
--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Gary

Bob Crantz wrote:

Bravo Canada!

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=121753

It's bull****. You can't buy guns quickly in Canada, particularily
handguns. Look at the source. Don't believe everything you read online.

Gaz
Filtering the BS for you.

If Canadians are lacking in handguns, is there a way we can send some to
them?

Amen!

Just wrap 'em up and send them C/O General delivery anywhere. Some yank
postman will steal it enroute anyway. Make sure you put a return
address on so everyone knows who was responsible.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Gary

Gary wrote:

Bob Crantz wrote:

Bravo Canada!

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=121753

It's bull****. You can't buy guns quickly in Canada, particularily
handguns. Look at the source. Don't believe everything you read online.

Gaz
Filtering the BS for you.

Interesting, but they do have the same approximate per capita
ownership, and, a much less violent society per capita.

I question the "per capita gun ownership" claim. I know it says that on
many questionable websites but having lived in both coutries I would
argue. I know no one in right now (in Canada) who owns a handgun and
several folks who own long guns. While in Colorado for 3 years most
Americans I met had a handgun in their home. They also frequently owned
many long guns.

My experience would lend me to believe that the statistic is not correct.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article FL%pf.158996$Gd6.71897@pd7tw3no,
Gary wrote:
Interesting, but they do have the same approximate per capita
ownership, and, a much less violent society per capita.

I question the "per capita gun ownership" claim. I know it says that on
many questionable websites but having lived in both coutries I would
argue. I know no one in right now (in Canada) who owns a handgun and
several folks who own long guns. While in Colorado for 3 years most
Americans I met had a handgun in their home. They also frequently owned
many long guns.

My experience would lend me to believe that the statistic is not correct.

I don't claim to know if the statistics are accurate or not. All I can
do is quote them. However, your experience is ancedotal, which isn't
good enough to cite as typical or supported.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:31:15 GMT, Gary wrote:

Bob Crantz wrote:
Bravo Canada!

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=121753

Gaz
Filtering the BS for you.

If that is your charter, you will get no rest at all with this group.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Gary

Gary wrote:

Interesting, but they do have the same approximate per capita
ownership, and, a much less violent society per capita.

I question the "per capita gun ownership" claim. I know it says that on
many questionable websites but having lived in both coutries I would
argue. I know no one in right now (in Canada) who owns a handgun and
several folks who own long guns. While in Colorado for 3 years most
Americans I met had a handgun in their home. They also frequently owned
many long guns.

My experience would lend me to believe that the statistic is not correct.

I don't claim to know if the statistics are accurate or not. All I can
do is quote them. However, your experience is ancedotal, which isn't
good enough to cite as typical or supported.

How about this:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0115/p07s01-woam.html

or:

"It's true that Canada does have a lot of guns compared to England or
Japan, but Canada's per-capita gun ownership rate is about a third of
the American level."
From:
http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel040403.asp

or

"Canada is more rural and therefore each firearm owning household
(roughly 26%) has a variety of firearms (at least 3) for different uses.
In the US, firearm owning households (about 50%) are more likely to
have only one or two because they own them for self-defence and not
hunting, predator control, etc.

This further indicates that while fewer Canadian households have a
firearm, those that do, have more. This confirms most government
estimates of 15 to 20 million firearms in Canada, while in the US, there
are about 200 million (giving both countries similar per capita rates of
firearm ownership). If the rates of firearm ownership are similar in
countries with drastically different murder rates, then it's probably
not the firearms that are the problem."
From:
http://teapot.usask.ca/cdn-firearms/...html#USACanada

All this to say that it is not really clearly known by either country
how many guns there are but fewer households in Canada have guns. In
Canada they own mostly long guns as a tool where as south of the border
(excluding Alaska) the number of households per capita with guns is
double and they are owned for self defence and include a huge proportion
of handguns.

The right statistic is crimes with the use of a gun. You Merkans win.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

Gary wrote:

Interesting, but they do have the same approximate per capita
ownership, and, a much less violent society per capita.

I question the "per capita gun ownership" claim. I know it says that on
many questionable websites but having lived in both coutries I would
argue. I know no one in right now (in Canada) who owns a handgun and
several folks who own long guns. While in Colorado for 3 years most
Americans I met had a handgun in their home. They also frequently owned
many long guns.

My experience would lend me to believe that the statistic is not correct.

I don't claim to know if the statistics are accurate or not. All I can
do is quote them. However, your experience is ancedotal, which isn't
good enough to cite as typical or supported.

How about this:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0115/p07s01-woam.html

Ok, if you're right, then it still appalling that with 1/3 the rate of
gun ownership, Canada has a tiny fraction of related homocides. Do you
dispute that also?

From:
http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel040403.asp

The right statistic is crimes with the use of a gun. You Merkans win.

No doubt there...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com