posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default Swabbies new Sloth

A racer that only races at 7.4 knots, and a cruiser that is way to
nimble to cruise.

Rob's new, and sure to be a three-towed Sloth is a gentle terdavore.
Its slow movements, together with its cryptic design, protect it from
its major predator, the Walker Bay.

A Sloth is Ok Rob, so say the Holy Sister that printed Lessons from
Nature for Youth, Original: 1836 you should get a copy for Little Thom.

They said

"The sloth, when placed on the ground, seems strangely and awkwardly
formed. His fore legs, or, more correctly speaking, his arms, are
apparently much too long, while his hind legs are very short and look
as if they could be bent almost to the shape of a corkscrew; so that
when put on the floor, his belly touches the ground.

Suppose, then, he supported himself on his legs, like other animals, he
would be in pain, for he has no soles to his feet, and his claws are
very sharp, and long, and curved, so that if his body were supported by
his feet, it would be by their extremities -- just as your body would
be, if you were to throw yourself on all fours, and try to support it
on the ends of your toes and fingers!

If the floor were made of glass, or of a polished surface, the sloth
would actually be quite stationary; but as the ground is generally
rough, with little rising upon it, from stones, roots of grass, etc.,
this just suits him, and he moves his fore legs in all directions, in
order to find something to lay hold of.

When he has succeeded, he pulls himself forward, and is thus enabled to
travel onward, but at the same time in so tardy and awkward a manner,
as to acquire him the name of sloth. Indeed, his looks and gestures
show his uncomfortable situation; and as a sigh every now and then
escapes him, we may be entitled to conclude that he is actually in
pain.

A surprising encounter with a sloth

One day, a man in the forest found a large two-toed sloth on the
ground, upon the bank of the Essequibo. "As soon as I got up to him,"
he says, "the sloth threw himself upon his back, and defended himself
in gallant style with his fore legs.

"Come, poor fellow," said he said, "I'll take no advantage of you in
your misfortune; the forest is large enough for both you and me to rove
in; go your ways up above, and enjoy yourself in these endless wilds;
it is more than probable you will never have another interview with
man; so fare thee well."

On saying this, he took a long stick which was lying there, held it for
him to hook on, and then conveyed him to a high and stately mora. The
sloth ascended with wonderful rapidity, and in about a minute he was
almost at the top of the tree.

Thus, the world has erred in its judgments concerning the sloth, from
descriptions being given of him on the ground, and not in the only
position in which he ought to have been describe, namely, clinging to
the branch of a tree."

What can you learn from this Rob?

"We must be careful not to judge others. People are to be appreciated
for those things which they do best. We must remember that people have
different abilities, experience and education. A weaver would make a
poor blacksmith; a carpenter would make a poor tailor; and yet each of
them, kept to his place, may do his work well; and no one is to be
blamed for the lack of what he never had an opportunity of acquiring."

Joe