posted to alt.sailing.asa
jlrogers

Default The Right Dog

The right dog will fill a void you may not even know you have. The right
dog will provide a level of safety, especially for children, that is
priceless.

What is the right dog for a sailor? Not an easy question to answer.
Sailors, and everyone else, need to choose their dog based on the family
character, lifestyle, and circumstances, just like choosing a boat

What kind of dog do you have? Does he/she like to sail? Is your home space
big enough for her/him? Did you choose your dog wisely?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Schipperke, lives on the boat and loves it. He can get on-off the boat,
up and down stairs, on and off the bunks by himself. Loves to sail,
row, motor around in the dink. Great swimmer and loves playing with
kids.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"jlrogers" wrote in message
t...
The right dog will fill a void you may not even know you have. The right
dog will provide a level of safety, especially for children, that is
priceless.

What is the right dog for a sailor? Not an easy question to answer.
Sailors, and everyone else, need to choose their dog based on the family
character, lifestyle, and circumstances, just like choosing a boat

What kind of dog do you have? Does he/she like to sail? Is your home
space big enough for her/him? Did you choose your dog wisely?

Staffordshire Bull Terrier & a Schipperke. Both breeds love the water and
like to swim. Neither has been sailing yet. Size is an important factor
aboard. The schipperke is an ancient breed from Flanders used on canal boats
as guard and companion dogs. The Staffie is an old breed as well.....
fearless and they seem to really enjoy swimming. My pup went for her first
swim at the beach at 2 months old.

As far as room..... we have plenty... 7 acres road front sea front..treed
with pathways and a beach.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katysails

I have a standard poodle names Lambchop, Chopper for short. Puudles are
water dogs to begin with and he has been on our boat since he was an itty
bitty puppy. He thinks the aft cabin is his. Poodles are the second
smartest dog (right behind border collies). I can't stand dumb dogs. Yes,
he was the right choice for us. No, he wouldn't have been the right choice
for anyone. There is no dog that fits every persons abilities and needs
when it comes to dogs. Seeing that I was a dog groomer and trainer, I have
no problem with the massive upkeep cosmetically that a standard poodle
takes. And I enjoy grooming him. The fact that he does not shed is an
excellent qualifier for a boat and since he hasn't got a double coat, he
dries fast when wet. He is also imposing enough looking that he would deter
someone from boarding...a shaved muzzle sets off all those teeth
well....People should get a dog they can handle..one that will not frustrate
them if it doesn't behave to their specifications. Nothing worse than
someone who owns a terrier wishing their dog didn't bark. Terriers for the
most part bark. It is part of their nature. As far as space goes, poodles
make great couch potatoes if they have to but alos are great at
"self-exercising". Chopper has a basket of toys that he regularly takes
out, throws around, and chases if no one has the time to play with him at
that moment. He is also walked religiously when we're at the boat to make
sure he doesn't get antsy....he also loves to go for dinghy rides...sits in
the bow with his ears waving in the wind (I row fast to get that
effect...)...
"jlrogers" wrote in message
t...
The right dog will fill a void you may not even know you have. The right
dog will provide a level of safety, especially for children, that is
priceless.

What is the right dog for a sailor? Not an easy question to answer.
Sailors, and everyone else, need to choose their dog based on the family
character, lifestyle, and circumstances, just like choosing a boat

What kind of dog do you have? Does he/she like to sail? Is your home

space
big enough for her/him? Did you choose your dog wisely?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Good story Katy.

We had a black standard poodle named Captain Nemo
when I was a kid. My Dad had a white '63 Corvette with
a black interior. He could leave the car with the dog inside
and not worry about it getting stolen. In fact, you could not
tell Nemo was in there until you saw him bare his teeth. That
was a scary sight--all you could see were a big mouthful of
teeth. That has to be sacrier than seeing the dog itself..

I remember once in Philadelphia, as we were walking back to
the car, someone looking inside the car jumped back thoroughly
scared as Nemo showed his teeth and started growling.

His bark was not worse than his bite. His bite was worse.
Nemo was a mean dog and bit more than a few of the neighbor's
kids, and he even bit me a few times when I tried to pet him
when he was eating. I liked the fact that he was protective, tough,
and scary. These days, I'd make sure I had insurance. Nemo
was a jumper. He was a dog that needed 100 acres to roam in.

Nemo was smart enough to ring the doorbell when he wanted in.
He would always want to play and it was hard to wear him out.

We talked to him in complete sentences. To get him to come in,
we'd yell to my father, "Dad, call the dog" and he'd come right in
scared himself. He come in hanging his head low, because he then
knew it was time to come in.We could use that even when Dad
wasn't home--he was that scared of his master.

Nemo could swim well, but didn't seem to like it all that much. An
outdoor dog, he spent much of his time indoors staring out the
window and barking at squirrels.

I've been thinking about getting another. A friend just bought a
coffee colored standard poodle, I debate getting one, but I'd
prefer a black one, if I decided to buy one.

I also was given a toy poodle many years later by an ex-girlfriend.
I hated small dogs, but this one grew on me. Bobo was a good sea
dog, small enough I could get away with taking him anywhere, and
popular with the ladies. He did quite a few races, but didn't like it
much as he found himself alone down below. For day sailing, I had
one crew position designated Bobo holder--the girls all wanted that
job. He could not swim well and would have drowned the one time
he fell in, if not for me. He got around well on deck, but had to rely
on a series of amazing jumps to climb a ladder. Bobo lived 16 years
to Nemo's 13.

"katysails" wrote
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katysails

We have a white 1986 Bimmer convertible that Chopper looks way cool i n.
The interior is red cordavan so he looks really racey....Fortunately, he
doesn't show his teeth to people...he's just big enough that people don't
reach to pet him. (If they did he'd just lick them to death...)
"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:49:18 -0500, "katysails"
wrote:

I have a standard poodle names Lambchop, Chopper for short.

Also a Standard Poodle, black, female, named Jazz. Our third
standard.

The good things about standards - Very smart, very clean ( a large dog
that can be an inside house dog with no shedding), opportunists, (will
cozy up to anyone in the family or friends circle to get the best
current deal), large enough to seem fierce (provided you don't show
cut them), although very gentle.

The bad things - high maintenance, require regular grooming, sometimes
too smart, become willful, do not like to be left out of any action.

This one has never been sailing, acquired her since we sold our boat
and those friends we have sailed with since have not expressed an
interest in her as crew.

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa
HarryV

GSD
http://www.eagle.ca/~harry/boat/Gallery/04.html
http://www.eagle.ca/~harry/boat/Gallery/05.html

Regards,

Harry

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Nice Steel Hull Harry. You build her yourself?

Oz you just been let off the hook for the ugliest interior.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
HarryV

No I didn't build her. I was tooyoung at the time she was built :-)
Why is the interior ugly? It is the same as when she was designed in
1943.