Capt. Rob

Default Roach downfalls?

You know, the more I study boat design the more saddened I am by the
lack of experimentation in today's market. I understand that it's a big
gamble to try a new rig or hull design, but some ideas are too good to
ignore...or SEEM that way!

The new Alerion 38 is something I had been wondering about a few years
ago. It's essentially a carbon fibre hybrid mast, partially stayed.
With no backstay she can fly a huge roach mainsail. I'll ignore the
other aspects of the rig, which are also notable. But why haven't more
hybrid rigs like this been implemented? Are there other boats with this
rig?
The boat looks like a blast and I'd hope they offer a redesigned
version of the cruiser...remember the yawl with the tiny mizzen? Same
hull, new rig and coach roof/interior. So...what are the disadvantages
of this rig?

RB
35s5
NY