BoatBanter.com

-   -   Thomas in PA (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/62681-thomas-pa.html)

Capt. Rob November 10th 05 08:11 PM

Thomas in PA

Thomas is now 14 months old and is about the happiest baby in the
world....soon to have his own cabin on his own sailboat!

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/leaves4weby.jpg

Taken with Nikon D70, 28-200G and SB800 fill flash

RB
35s5...best boat for a baby!
NY

J B November 10th 05 09:04 PM

Thomas in PA

I remember a couple of years ago when my boys were young and we took them
out for a sail.
1, It was funny listening to them roll back and forth in the V berth when
they were trying to nap. 2. you learn to heave to quickly in case of that
certain emergency. 3, Tied a line to my ankle and to their life jacket just
for security.
It was fun!
JB
oups.com...

Capt. Rob November 10th 05 09:53 PM

Thomas in PA

1, It was funny listening to them roll back and forth in the V berth
when
they were trying to nap. 2. you learn to heave to quickly in case of
that
certain emergency. 3, Tied a line to my ankle and to their life jacket
just
for security.

We've had Thomas out about 5 times this summer and he seemed to love
it. Really looking forward to the summer. I sure hope Jeff can contain
his jealousy.

RB
35s5
NY

J B November 10th 05 10:25 PM

Thomas in PA

Kids are fun on a boat but you need to pay twice the attention, single hand
with him a couple of times , you'll see what I mean.
JB
oups.com...

Capt. Rob November 10th 05 10:34 PM

Thomas in PA

Kids are fun on a boat but you need to pay twice the attention, single
hand
with him a couple of times , you'll see what I mean.

I don't think I'd single hand with a child so young. Suppose I suffered
a stroke or the boat was hit by a jetski. I might venture out into the
local bay, but something nasty is more likely to happen there of
course. With Suzanne aboard we'll take him on a few good longer trips.
He won't even be two when next season ends.
I'll have to wait and see how I feel about it and how he is on the
35s5. On the Catalina 30, Galaxy 32 and Tayana 48 all he wanted to do
was hold the wheel!

RB
35s5
NY

Thom Stewart November 10th 05 11:34 PM

Thomas in PA

Nutsy,

A much better Photo than an out of focus background. Kid looks great

OT

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

Capt.Mooron November 10th 05 11:39 PM

Thomas in PA

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Suppose I suffered
a stroke or the boat

WHAT!!!!! You actually are concerned you might suffer a Stroke! You're
only 43 for cryin' out loud.!!!!!

Are you overweight and out of shape?? Shame on you!!
You have a family now and obligations... give up the Big Macs!!

CM

Bob Crantz November 11th 05 01:19 AM

Thomas in PA

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
Kids are fun on a boat but you need to pay twice the attention, single
hand
with him a couple of times , you'll see what I mean.

I don't think I'd single hand with a child so young.

He might show you up.

Suppose I suffered
a stroke or the boat was hit by a jetski.

Like the stroke you had picking up your bike?

I might venture out into the
local bay, but something nasty is more likely to happen there of
course.

The wind may blow!

With Suzanne aboard we'll take him on a few good longer trips.

She can wet nurse us both!

He won't even be two when next season ends.
I'll have to wait and see how I feel about it and how he is on the
35s5.

The open stern is an invitation to disaster.

On the Catalina 30, Galaxy 32 and Tayana 48 all he wanted to do
was hold the wheel!

Feel threatened?

RB
35s5
NY

Bob Crantz November 11th 05 01:20 AM

Thomas in PA

"Captain Joe Redcloud" wrote in message
On 10 Nov 2005 14:34:20 -0800, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

Kids are fun on a boat but you need to pay twice the attention, single
hand
with him a couple of times , you'll see what I mean.

I don't think I'd single hand with a child so young. Suppose I suffered
a stroke or the boat was hit by a jetski. I might venture out into the
local bay, but something nasty is more likely to happen there of
course. With Suzanne aboard we'll take him on a few good longer trips.
He won't even be two when next season ends.
I'll have to wait and see how I feel about it and how he is on the
35s5. On the Catalina 30, Galaxy 32 and Tayana 48 all he wanted to do
was hold the wheel!

RB
35s5
NY

One of my dock neighbors found that his two year old was only interested

in
grabbing anything not secured, and throwing it overboard! This game went

on for
quite a while.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Hopefully he didn't get a hold of your iron supplements.

Bob Crantz November 11th 05 01:21 AM

Thomas in PA

"Capt.Mooron" wrote in message

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Suppose I suffered
a stroke or the boat

WHAT!!!!! You actually are concerned you might suffer a Stroke! You're
only 43 for cryin' out loud.!!!!!

Are you overweight and out of shape?? Shame on you!!
You have a family now and obligations... give up the Big Macs!!

CM

His colon may collapse.

Jonathan Ganz November 11th 05 05:10 AM

Thomas in PA

In article ,
Bob Crantz wrote:
One of my dock neighbors found that his two year old was only interested

in
grabbing anything not secured, and throwing it overboard! This game went

on for
quite a while.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Hopefully he didn't get a hold of your iron supplements.

But clearly he did get hold of two things Billy Boy valued. No more
MOBs for him.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

DSK November 11th 05 12:31 PM

Thomas in PA

J B wrote:
Been there , Sailing gloves dont float

You need to get a good retriever. If you have the time to invest in
civilizing him, I'd recommend a Chesapeake.

DSK

Scotty November 11th 05 02:13 PM

Thomas in PA

"Bob Crantz" wrote in

His colon may collapse.

Could that happen, given the fact that he's so full of ****?

SV

Scotty November 11th 05 02:15 PM

Thomas in PA

feel the jealousy!

"Captain Joe Redcloud" wrote

Thomas sailed 5 times as much as the non-sailing, blustery

blowhard, Guy Aerts
this season!

Commode Joe

Capt. Rob November 11th 05 02:23 PM

Thomas in PA

WHAT!!!!! You actually are concerned you might suffer a Stroke!
You're
only 43 for cryin' out loud.!!!!!

Heat stroke can strike anyone, regardless of conditioning. I have no
A/C in the cockpit. And suppose there's some other problem? It's best
to have one person for the boat and another for the baby!

RB
35s5
NY

Bob Crantz November 11th 05 03:58 PM

Thomas in PA

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
WHAT!!!!! You actually are concerned you might suffer a Stroke!
You're
only 43 for cryin' out loud.!!!!!

Heat stroke can strike anyone, regardless of conditioning. I have no
A/C in the cockpit. And suppose there's some other problem? It's best
to have one person for the boat and another for the baby!

RB
35s5
NY

Heat stroke?

Are you that frail?

http://www.badwater.com/

Amen!

Thom Stewart November 11th 05 04:29 PM

Thomas in PA

Doug,

I have a Rat Terrier who wants to go after the Seals. Can't convince her
that she'd be a meal for them. They still bark back and forth.

I keep her tied to the inside steering station, with enough line to get
into the cockpit but not over the side.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

Capt. Rob November 11th 05 04:29 PM

Thomas in PA

Suppose I suffered
a stroke or the boat was hit by a jetski.

Like the stroke you had picking up your bike?

It was a Honda Goldwing. Let's see you pick one up.

RB
35s5
NY

Thom Stewart November 11th 05 04:33 PM

Thomas in PA

Scotty,

That could be the reason he's FOS. Bumb Colon?

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

Thom Stewart November 11th 05 04:40 PM

Thomas in PA

Nutsy,

I agree with you 100%. The baby needs a full time baby sitter on the
boat. A Harness and clip on points aren't a bad idea either.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

Capt. Rob November 11th 05 04:51 PM

Thomas in PA

A much better Photo than an out of focus background. Kid looks great

I understand, Thom. It's a matter of preference of course. I prefer a
wide open lens and employing the rule of thirds. This shot is actually
a bit off because his body should be shifted into the empty area of the
field.

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/parkbaby1.jpg

Compare to this shot, with the lens stopped down and everything's
pretty much in focus. Both valid techniques.

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/baby4weby.jpg

RB
35s5...the best photographed boat!
NY

Capt. Rob November 11th 05 05:16 PM

Thomas in PA

agree with you 100%. The baby needs a full time baby sitter on the
boat. A Harness and clip on points aren't a bad idea either.

We'll get him a harness and jack lines will always be used. He'll have
to wear a vest of some sort of course and we'll wear them to get him
into the idea. I'm not too concerned because we sail protected waters,
but we'll certainly play it safe all the same. We like Thomas even more
than the boat!

RB
35s5
NY

Joe November 11th 05 05:50 PM

Thomas in PA

Capt. Rob wrote:
agree with you 100%. The baby needs a full time baby sitter on the
boat. A Harness and clip on points aren't a bad idea either.

We'll get him a harness and jack lines will always be used. He'll have
to wear a vest of some sort of course and we'll wear them to get him
into the idea. I'm not too concerned because we sail protected waters,
but we'll certainly play it safe all the same. We like Thomas even more
than the boat!

RB
35s5
NY

What! He's almost 2 and you havent taught him how to swim?
Sheeze kids should be all swimming by 2 and water skiing and sailing by
3.

If you have AC in the wheelhouse like on RedCloud, you would not have
to worry so much about your stroking out.

I take it your raising a yachtsman and not a sailor.

Joe

Capt. Rob November 11th 05 06:15 PM

Thomas in PA

What! He's almost 2 and you havent taught him how to swim?
Sheeze kids should be all swimming by 2 and water skiing and sailing by

3.

Thomas will learn to swim before he's two, which is next September.
Calm yourself.

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. JG November 11th 05 07:16 PM

Thomas in PA

My old black lab used to dive right in when I was down in San Diego... go
right after the seals. Of course, no way could he catch them, but it was fun
to watch. They would bob there looking at him, and wait and wait, and then
disappear when he was 10 feet from them. It drove him crazy. At one point,
he tried going under himself, which scared the crap out of me.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jeff November 11th 05 08:19 PM

Thomas in PA

Capt. Rob wrote:

Thomas will learn to swim before he's two, which is next September.
Calm yourself.

RB
35s5
NY

The Y has a nice infant swim program. Its not really swimming, but it
does go a long way towards reducing any fear of the water. I'd like
to say that it helps in "drown-proofing" but there's no evidence that
it actually does that, and toddlers aren't ready to really learn how
to swim until about age 4. On the other hand, when the time comes,
you want to make sure Thomas has no fear of swimming. Amelia took her
first lessons at 6 months, and was "sort of" swimming early on, but
wasn't really "safe" until about 4 or 5 years old. By the end of our
trip, however, she was 6 years old and swimming over 100 yards with ease.

Scotty November 11th 05 08:20 PM

Thomas in PA

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Nutsy,

I agree with you 100%. A baby needs a full time baby sitter on

the
boat.

And get one for Thomas, also.

Scotty

Bob Crantz November 11th 05 09:14 PM

Thomas in PA

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
What! He's almost 2 and you havent taught him how to swim?
Sheeze kids should be all swimming by 2 and water skiing and sailing by

3.

Thomas will learn to swim before he's two, which is next September.
Calm yourself.

RB
35s5
NY

I bet he won't. He might be swimming at 5-6 years old, if you stick with it.

Bob Crantz November 11th 05 10:31 PM

Thomas in PA

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Suppose I suffered
a stroke or the boat was hit by a jetski.

Like the stroke you had picking up your bike?

It was a Honda Goldwing. Let's see you pick one up.

First it was a mountain bike. Then a Honda Goldwing. Next, while picking up
the Goldwing you stubbed your toe on a piece of metal sticking out of the
ground...it turned out to be the top of the mast of a buried Swan 90
footer..you and Susie dug it out...it was in pristine
condition...blah,blah,blah.

RB
35s5
NY

DSK November 14th 05 01:18 PM

Thomas in PA

Capt. JG wrote:
My old black lab used to dive right in when I was down in San Diego... go
right after the seals. Of course, no way could he catch them, but it was fun
to watch. They would bob there looking at him, and wait and wait, and then
disappear when he was 10 feet from them. It drove him crazy. At one point,
he tried going under himself, which scared the crap out of me.

One nice thing about the Chesapeake. Not easily excited by anything
except ducks or geese. They love to dive, too... it is scary when you
see your dog take a gulp of air and disappear for a minute, especially
when you suspect he's trying to fetch the anchor.

One hunter/wildlife writer said that when he moved to a waterfront
neighborhood, his Chesapeake spent all day every day swimming, and
discovered a great sport of chewing thru other people's boats dock lines
& towing the boat home.

DSK

Capt. JG November 14th 05 06:06 PM

Thomas in PA

Hahaha... now that's funny. If you could only get him to do that for boaters
you didn't like... the chewing part of course. Or, if there's a boat you
like...

Mine used to play with rocks on the bottom of a river... dive down, move
them around, then lose track of which rock it was, then move another one.
Each time he came up, he would yelp, as though he were in pain or snagged on
something. Great magnet for women. I even saw one attempt to rescue him.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com