Joe

Default Australian David Hicks FYI

U.S. sets trial of Australian
David Hicks to go before U.S. military court in November

Monday, September 26, 2005; Posted: 8:05 p.m. EDT (00:05 GMT)

A court illustration of the start of Hicks' trial in August last year.

Hicks has pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy, attempted murder
and aiding the enemy.

Hicks, the only Australian still held at the U.S. naval base of
Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, was captured in Afghanistan in late 2001 while
allegedly fighting with the Taliban against U.S.-led forces. He has
been detained at Guantanamo Bay since early 2002.

Hicks, 30, is originally from the Australian city of Adelaide. He
converted to Islam and fought in Kosovo before allegedly training with
al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

Hicks, whose mother was born in Britain and holds a British passport,
applied for British citizenship earlier this month, his lawyer David
McLeod said Monday.

British authorities have said it could take from three months to a year
for any citizenship to be granted to Hicks.

The military commission process against Hicks began in August 2004 but
was halted last December after a U.S. District Court ruling.

The presiding officer has set the date for the first hearing in the
Hicks commission for November 18," Pentagon spokesman Major Todd Vician
confirmed.

The Australian government has refused to lobby for Hicks' release,
saying it has faith in the U.S. military commission process.

During a visit to the United States in July, Australian Prime Minister
John Howard said his government was "satisfied that the military
commission process ... will provide a proper measure of justice."

"The allegations against (Hicks) are particularly serious, and we look
forward to them being dealt with before the tribunal," Howard said.

Mamdouh Habib, another Australian citizen detained in Afghanistan and
taken to Guantanamo, was freed earlier this year after three years in
custody.

That was despite the United States believing Habib knew of plans for
the September 11, 2001 terror attacks in the United States.

Joe

Lets try again OZ

Summary**************

John Howard "satisfied -proper justice."

Hicks captured in Afghanistan fighting with the Taliban against
U.S.-led forces

He's Islam , fought in Kosovo, trained with al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

Getting a trail.

Joe

jlrogers

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

Lets try again OZ

Summary**************

John Howard "satisfied -proper justice."

Hicks captured in Afghanistan fighting with the Taliban against
U.S.-led forces

He's Islam , fought in Kosovo, trained with al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Freedom fighters forever!!!!!!!

Joe

He will be charged with comitting acts of terrorism, attempted murder,
ect.

Why are you so anxious to support some bone head who left your country
to join a group involved in mass murder? I'm talking cowards who murder
and scurry back into rat holes.

Seems the whole point is he decided to run with murders who have no
country FN stupid enough to openly support them. And the smart ones
know better. David gave up his rights as a citizen of any country when
he took up arms with terrorist without a country. He has no nation.
International laws do not apply to him or any stateless terrorist.

Joe

Joe

He will be charged with comitting acts of terrorism, attempted murder,
ect.

Joe, he will be charged.....he's been in custody for 42 months without
charge.
Don't you think that he should be charged with sufficient time for a
defence to be prepared?

If he is a captured terrorist, captured fighting on a battlefield with other terrorist..... then he deserves nothing.
He made his bed and now he needs to sleep in it.

Why are you so anxious to support some bone head who left your country
to join a group involved in mass murder? I'm talking cowards who murder
and scurry back into rat holes.

Not supporting anyone,
Objecting to a system that allows people to be captured when there is
no declared war in Afghanistan,

Your right, he should have been killed on the battlefield. I bet he
**** his pants and surrendered when he saw he was in for a fight, not
just shooting and running, or making roadside bombs, or wiring up some
brain dead retard to be vaporized in a group of citizens.

held for 42 months without charge,
then put before a military tribunal where there are no normal rules of
law, and particularly, no facility to question the accusers.

Many thousands have been held without trails before. If your captured
fighting for the enemy then you should expect to sit out the skirmish
unless you can escape.

Seems the whole point is he decided to run with murders who have no
country FN stupid enough to openly support them. And the smart ones
know better. David gave up his rights as a citizen of any country when
he took up arms with terrorist without a country. He has no nation.
International laws do not apply to him or any stateless terrorist.

So because he was found with those people, he's automatically guilty?

No and yes.

Better watch out who you drink with at the pub!

If there are a pack of terrorist planning attacks, fighting a battle,
armed, then I'm leaving the bar myself.
If its a group of murders or people that hang out with murdering
cowards then I'm leaving anyway

Cut the crap OZ, the guy has a history with Al Queada and the Taliban.
Was captured fighting and you want us to spend time and money treating
the guy with respect. The only people that respect this dirtball is
the taliban and AlQueida, he's the typical loser who kept setting his
standards lower and lower until he landed at the bottom of the cess
pool and found he fit in perfectly.

Joe

Joe

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Peter Wiley

In article . com, Joe
wrote:

Lets try again OZ

Summary**************

John Howard "satisfied -proper justice."

So what? I'm pretty right wing but I didn't subordinate my critical
thought processes to my elected govt leader as you've done. Howard can
think what he likes, the majority of the Aust people disagree with him,
and we're not real impressed with the USA either. You violate your own
ethics and basic principles and don't even realise you're doing it. The
founding fathers who wrote your constitution would start another
revolution if they saw what executive govt is getting away with today.
Detention without trial is ANATHEMA to a civilised soociety. You're as
bad as the pre-revolution corrupt French regimes.

Hicks captured in Afghanistan fighting with the Taliban against
U.S.-led forces

He's Islam , fought in Kosovo, trained with al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

Getting a trail.

Getting a military tribunal. Not the same thing.

PDW
Peter Wiley

In article .com, Joe
wrote:

He will be charged with comitting acts of terrorism, attempted murder,
ect.

Why are you so anxious to support some bone head who left your country
to join a group involved in mass murder? I'm talking cowards who murder
and scurry back into rat holes.

I'm not supporting *him*. I'm supporting his right to be treated in
accordance with the LAW. Can't you understand the difference?

PDW
Peter Wiley

In article ,
Dave wrote:

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:45:06 +1000, OzOne said:

no opportunity to
x examine prosecution witnesses nor present witnesses for the defence

Oz, please do a little research before prattling such nonsense. You could
have confirmed from numerous sources that that's totally false.

So, Dave..... how many trials of Guantanamo Bay prisoners have been
held so far, and what were the rules of evidence and procedure, and
what were the outcomes?

You can't say, can you?

PDW
Peter Wiley

In article ,
Dave wrote:

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:05:55 +0100, Peter Wiley
said:

The
founding fathers who wrote your constitution would start another
revolution if they saw what executive govt is getting away with today.
Detention without trial is ANATHEMA to a civilised soociety.

So, Peter, how many trials do you suppose were held during the Revolutionary
War to determine whether to let captured redcoats go? I don't recall hearing
of any, but perhaps you have some information I don't on that score.

So, Dave, you're happy to apply the rules that applied in the 1700's to
the 21st century?

Good to know.

PDW
Peter Wiley

In article , Peter Wiley
wrote:

In article ,
Dave wrote:

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:45:06 +1000, OzOne said:

no opportunity to
x examine prosecution witnesses nor present witnesses for the defence

Oz, please do a little research before prattling such nonsense. You could
have confirmed from numerous sources that that's totally false.

So, Dave..... how many trials of Guantanamo Bay prisoners have been
held so far, and what were the rules of evidence and procedure, and
what were the outcomes?

You can't say, can you?

What's up, Dave? Cat got your tongue?

PDW