Jeff

Red Cloud® wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:46:10 -0400, Jeff wrote:

Red Cloud® wrote:

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:08:21 -0400, Jeff wrote:

Bart Senior wrote:

Corrrect 1 point

"Red Cloud©" wrote

In the USA, does a sailboat, 30.5 feet in length, without mechanical
propulsion require fire extinguishers?

Yes. Either 1 B-II or two B-I type fire extinguishers that are CG
approved.

Incorrect. It is not required if it is open.

Please see 46CFR25.30

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...fr25.30-20.htm

rusty redcloud

So, where does it say the open sailboats must have extinguishers?

It says the only exception to the rule is motorboats under 26 feet with no
eclosed spaces. A 30.5 foot sailboat is not an open motorboat under 26 feet. ALL
boats over 26 feet require at least one B-II extinguisher or two B-I regardless
of whether or not they are open.

rusty redcloud

Bzzzt. Wrong answer. It says that under the rule that starts out:
"(a) Motorboats."

There are other sections that cover Motor Vessels [powerboats over 65
feet], Uninspected Passenger vessels over 100 tons [a recent change to
the rule], and barges over 65 feet carrying passengers and towed by a
power boat. There is no requirement for sailboats.

Scotty

Yes.

Scotty

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
In the USA, does a sailboat, 30.5 feet in length, without mechanical
propulsion require fire extinguishers?

Scotty

from Chapman's;

USCG min. reguired safety eg.:
Fire ext.- 26'~40' = either 2 B-1, or 1 B-ll.

--
Scotty,
A Snark that actually gets sailed would be a better choice

"Jeff" wrote in message
Bart Senior wrote:
In the USA, does a sailboat, 30.5 feet in length, without

mechanical
propulsion require fire extinguishers?

Federal Law (according to my little handbook from 2000) does not
require fire extinguishers on open boat that have no inboard engines
or fuel tanks. This is not a law that state generally override.

Jeff

Red Cloud® wrote:

Bart Senior wrote:

Corrrect 1 point

"Red Cloud©" wrote

In the USA, does a sailboat, 30.5 feet in length, without mechanical
propulsion require fire extinguishers?

Yes. Either 1 B-II or two B-I type fire extinguishers that are CG
approved.

Incorrect. It is not required if it is open.

Bzzzt. Incorrect. That exemption ends at 26 feet.

Bzzzt. Incorrect. Plus Stupid Points for saying Bzzzt when you're wrong.

Hint: read 46CFR25.30 *carefully*.

Bzzzt! Bzzzzt! Bzzzzt!

It says the only exception to the rule is motorboats under 26 feet with no
enclosed spaces. A 30.5 foot sailboat is not an open motorboat under 26 feet.
ALL boats over 26 feet require at least one B-II extinguisher or two B-I
regardless of whether or not they are open.

rusty redcloud

Bzzzt! Bzzzt! Bzzzt! Three more Stupid Points for Rusty. The clause
you're referring to is for "motorboats." As in "boats with motors."
There is no place where they mention sailboats.
Jeff

That's a nice chart in Chapman's, but the categories apply to
motorboats, not sailboats. The categories Class A, 1, 2 and 3 are
used to refer to power boats.

"Jeff" wrote in message

Bart Senior wrote:

In the USA, does a sailboat, 30.5 feet in length, without

mechanical

propulsion require fire extinguishers?

Federal Law (according to my little handbook from 2000) does not
require fire extinguishers on open boat that have no inboard engines
or fuel tanks. This is not a law that state generally override.

Jeff

Red Cloud® wrote:

It says the only exception to the rule is motorboats under 26 feet with no
enclosed spaces. A 30.5 foot sailboat is not an open motorboat under 26 feet.
ALL boats over 26 feet require at least one B-II extinguisher or two B-I
regardless of whether or not they are open.

rusty redcloud

Bzzzt! Bzzzt! Bzzzt! Three more Stupid Points for Rusty. The clause
you're referring to is for "motorboats." As in "boats with motors."
There is no place where they mention sailboats.

So, your contention is that there are no regulations for sailboats? Sailboats
over 26 feet do not have any CG requirements for safety equipment? Okay Jaxie!

You're the one being Jaxian here. I'm saying the federal regs don't
require a fire extinguisher for open sailboats. In fact, 46CFR
SubChapter C (which you quote) specifically says in the intro that it
only has provisions for sailboats that carry passengers for hire, so
it doesn't apply.

Now you're putting words in my mouth claiming that I say that there
are no requirements for safety equipment on sailboat over 26 feet.
You seen to have a serious reading problem, perhaps you should seek
medical attention.
Jeff

Red Cloud® wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:24:48 -0400, Jeff wrote:

That's a nice chart in Chapman's, but the categories apply to
motorboats, not sailboats. The categories Class A, 1, 2 and 3 are
used to refer to power boats.

That is incorrect. A sailboat that is 25'11" is a class 1 recreational vessel. A
sailboat that is 26' is a class 2 recreational vessel. The Colgate 26 is a
common example. It is built just slightly under 26 feet to make it a class 1
recreational vessel and greatly reduce the CG regulations it must comply with.
Don't believe me? Ask Steve Colgate and he'll tell you that's exactly why his
boat was designed at a little under 26 feet.

rusty redcloud

So, where do you find the in the CFR? How about 46CFR90, where is says:

Class A--Any motorboat less than 16 feet in length.
Class 1--Any motorboat 16 feet or over and less than 26 feet in length.
Class 2--Any motorboat 26 feet or over and less than 40 feet in length.