katysails

Default Let's

I thought you couldn't hold dual citizenship in the US unless you were under
18....

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
. com...
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ette&printer=1

--

jlrogers±³©
Beaten by George W. Bush! Now that's funny!

Martin Baxter

jlrogers±³© wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ette&printer=1

Our plan is working, next we're going to ship you Celine Dion! Don Cherry will follow to clean things up.

Cheers
Marty

katysails wrote:
I thought you couldn't hold dual citizenship in the US unless you

were under
18....

That's a widely held misconception, and it's simply not true. The US
does not require dual citizens to choose one citizenship when they
reach a certain age.

Some other countries do have this type of requirement. So, a person
who
was a citizen of both the US and a country with such a requirement
would have to choose only one citizenship. But, it would be the other
country that is forcing him to make the choice, not the US. If neither
country requires a choice, then the person
can remain a dual citizen for life.

This website discusses the US policies on Dual Citizenship, along with
the many misunderstandings surrounding it. It is, surprisingly,
allowed in many/most cases.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

Stephen Gallagher

Capt. Mooron wrote:
Canada allows dual citizenship...... maybe it's just a matter of her

not
renouncing her Canadian citizen status.

As far as the US is concerned, she did renounce it, because the US
naturalization oath has a statement of renunciation. BUT, that
statement has no affect under Canadian law, and Canadian law determines
who is and who isn't a Canadian citizen. So, while she must deal with
the US as a US citizen, she can continue to deal with Canada as a
Canadian because Canada says that she is a Canadian.

Stephen Gallagher

Capt. Mooron

wrote in message
ups.com...
Capt. Mooron wrote:
Canada allows dual citizenship...... maybe it's just a matter of her

not
renouncing her Canadian citizen status.

As far as the US is concerned, she did renounce it, because the US
naturalization oath has a statement of renunciation. BUT, that
statement has no affect under Canadian law, and Canadian law determines
who is and who isn't a Canadian citizen. So, while she must deal with
the US as a US citizen, she can continue to deal with Canada as a
Canadian because Canada says that she is a Canadian.

Interesting...... I can't become a Canadian citizen without losing my
Belgian citizenship. Belgium does not allow dual citizenship..... odd for a
European country within the EEC. I have elected to remain as a Permanent
Resident of Canada. The only advantage I have with a Canadian citizenship is
the ability to vote..... and to date I have never been able to cast a vote
in my entire life.

CM

Capt. Mooron

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
jlrogers±³© wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ette&printer=1

Our plan is working, next we're going to ship you Celine Dion! Don Cherry
will follow to clean things up.

Damn... if we can get rid of those 2... we'll be way ahead of the game. They
best keep their hands off of Shania Twain!!!

CM

Jeff Morris

Capt. Mooron wrote:
Interesting...... I can't become a Canadian citizen without losing my
Belgian citizenship. Belgium does not allow dual citizenship..... odd for a
European country within the EEC. I have elected to remain as a Permanent
Resident of Canada. The only advantage I have with a Canadian citizenship is
the ability to vote..... and to date I have never been able to cast a vote
in my entire life.

Doesn't Belgium allow you to vote? Do they know something about you?

Capt. Mooron

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

Doesn't Belgium allow you to vote? Do they know something about you?

I don't know if they allow me to vote or not. They do know about me.... I
have to renew my passport every 5 years.

But it begs the question... why would I even want to vote on an election in
Belgium?

CM

JG

I thought that there are some countries with which one can hold dual
citizenship... Canada being one of them.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message