Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Capt. Neal®

Default You Poor Slobs

I have just returned from several days of sailing. The conditions were close to perfect
with our commencing our sail on the heels of a norther in winds of 25 to 30 knots. My
guest enjoyed the safe and relaxing sailing except for the second day where the winds
were steady at about 25 knots but gusting to around 35. Unfortunately, it was a close-
hauled sail to a little offshore island where we could tuck in behind a sandbar to
get out of the three to four foot choppy waves that had been kicked up in Hawk
Channel. My guest had a hard time getting used to the heel my fine, bluewater vessel
experienced due to being close-hauled in the strong prevailing onshore winds. She
was happy when we anchored in relatively calm water in the lee of the sandbar.

The third day we departed from the shelter of the sandbar and sailed well out
into the Gulf Stream in winds of only 15 to 20 knots. There were some left-over rollers
from the open ocean of 4-5 feet variety, so my guest got a taste of ocean sailing. This
is something most of you on this group have never experienced. She held up just fine,
did not become fearful nor did she become sea sick. What a woman! What a boat!

Too bad Mooron is too chicken to take this fine woman for a sail. . . Too bad his
vessel is sad and icebound. Too bad he doesn't remain sober long enough to sail
even when the ice has melted.

CN